Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #41

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
You do not need 4x4 just get your Rear Axle Setup with a Locker. IF you really have the need then yes contact Ujoint and buy the Kit they sell.. You will not be happier.

PS mine is a 1996 ! I am the Original Owner.. I will never ever give up my van.
If you are on snow or ice the locker will not be usable and in fact likely dangerous. A limited slip would be the most desirable. If all you are doing is sand, gravel, mud then a locker is more desirable.

If anyone is considering conversion to 4x4, find the opportunity to drive a van with each of the various upfitter’s design/install to experience the ride and physical aspects of the van. Each conversion company has its pluses and minuses. Even if you have to fly, the cost is negligible vs the $15k to $20k that will be invested.

I have driven lots of different 4x4 vans from different converters. There are very real differences. Figure out your primary and secondary conditions that would need 4x4 usages. Consider how much on-road vs off-road travel. Do your research, weigh your options.

For us- skiing Western US, Sierras, Mexico trails, sand - long distances on pavement to get to where we are going meant on road ride was very important. Off road ride was very important. The best setup for us is the TTB independent front end. Great ride and travel but limited in getting above three to four inches of lift and if you want 35” tires. We went with limited slip rear and an air locker up front. Front lockers create steering issues (clunking) due to the axles being “locked” and in ability to rotate at different speeds while turning. If I am stuck, I am probably wanting to drive straight out of the situation. A rear locker has the same issue while going around a curve, the inside tire will want to lurch/clunk this creating the unstable/dangerous condition on ice/snow.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #42

Not Really, its all about the need and where you are, Also Tires. A Locker is only engaged when needed. Driving on Ice and Snow in 4x Mode is far more Dangerous for a newbie. The Point I am making is that in 90% of the Cases's you only need to Lock up your Rear Axle to get unstuck.. Then you go back to one legger mode..

Would I give up my 4x4 Never.. But for a Guy that just needs some Extra Traction here and their a Locker is a very affordable solution and works at the Touch of a button.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #43

That's not HiJacking....very good info and advice.
My comment is about QUIGLEY.
2003 7.3 4X4 (front end is a 2001 F350 Quigley modified hub)
I lost a right hub in Colorado...got to repair shop...guy started to replace hub with one he had in his shop.......ooop's rims would not fit regular a F-350 4X4 hub.
I had no idea that Quigley had modified the the hub. Yes hub is Quigley "source only".
I was very upset but mechanic worked with me He had a standard ford rim which would fit the stock ford hub and we switched the tire and I was on my way.......so now I carry a complete hub assembly for any future hub issues.
Yes if you use an Quigley units you will need the original VIN number. That's the 1st thing Quigley will ask for.
It's the only issue I have with my very original 03 SMB.
HighCountry Mike
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #44

Side Bar,
Several weeks ago I requested info on cleaning the plastic windows in my pop top.
Can't recall who recommended "PLEXUS" but it's a WoW.
They look like new after 16 years of neglect.
Thank you whomever you are.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I dont think you'll be able to get a Ford 4X4 SMB into an 8' garage.
1994 Sportsmobile with Quigley conversion with pop top and rack and it just barely fits in our 8' garage (like deflate the air suspension and dont try it with all the water tanks empty) but it does fit. Would have loads of room to spare if didn't have the large rooftop cargo rack (probably adds 6" or so).

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
1994 Sportsmobile with Quigley conversion with pop top and rack and it just barely fits in our 8' garage (like deflate the air suspension and dont try it with all the water tanks empty) but it does fit. Would have loads of room to spare if didn't have the large rooftop cargo rack (probably adds 6" or so).

-- Bass
Thanks Bass, Good to know. I measured my rig, as is, and it came in at 84" - very encouraging. The only thing I would consider putting on top is solar panels. Max tire size I will likely have is 33".

~Terry
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
...I had no idea that Quigley had modified the the hub. Yes hub is Quigley "source only".
I did know in advance when my hub went bad. Had no intention of paying what quigley wanted for a replacement. So for the price of one quigley hub I picked up an 05 ff sterling 10.5 lsd rear axle and all the pieces parts to convert the van. Had to buy the other hub and new wheels, but that was something I wanted anyway. Now I can source parts for my quigley at any parts store. Eliminates the need for rear wheels spacers too.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #48

There is a fine line on a 4x4 conversion! Whatever your rig is worth it's age, it's miles, the overall condition, power plant will constitute whether to do a conversion or not. If you can sell your 1998 5.4 V8 SMB unit as is for $20-25k, take it! If you spend $17k on a conversion you have dropped your net percentage of net profit because that same unit will not draw $37K-$42k so you will lose on your investment. You will get $30-$35k losing $5-$10k This is all relevant to the year and mileage of course. Now if you have a Diesel in that same model you could stand to get $10k more with the conversion but your SMB 2wd would be worth $25-$32k as is. My point is sometimes it best to sell and repurchase but if it is Diesel even the 6.0 I'd convert to 4wd!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #49

Garage
Vanimal, I hear you. However, there are a couple points that lead me to keep my '98 SMB:
1) Whenever you buy a used rig there's a certain amount of risk as to the true condition of the vehicle you are actually getting. With an RV, there are MANY things that can be wrong that the PO honestly didn't know. I saw an episode of Lifestyle Overland where they bought an RV that was totally trashed from water damage. I know my rig and have every confidence in it. Everyone who has worked on it remarks as to how great condition it's in. After oil changes, it takes about 1,000 miles for the new oil to get dirty. Not rolling the dice, again, is worth a LOT to me.

2) If depreciation was a major factor in my decision making, I wouldn't 't ever buy an RV. I had a 2017 Shelby GT350 and a guy with a Roush asked me what kind of gas mileage I got - seriously? I told him I had never checked it because I didn't buy the car for the gas mileage. I have checked the gas mileage on the SMB and I consistently get 21mpg highway - I lose 2mpg from the A/C. If I was concerned about depreciation, I would never buy a new car, either. When I sold the Shelby, I lost a bundle. Oh well, move on. I didn't buy it as an investment, either.

I paid $25,500 for the van this year and am delighted with it and believe I got a good deal. I've seen other similar SMB for less, but I'm glad I bought this one. I am seriously considering adding 4x4 & lift, Aluminess front/rear bumpers with tire carrier and box, Warn winch, and Scheel-Mann seats. No way I would ever recoup that, but I don't care.

~Terry
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
Site Team

"If you are on snow or ice the locker will not be usable and in fact likely dangerous."

I just wanted to say Amen to this. I did not know this. I thought my locker would help me in the snow. I went to Wyoming in the winter and drove through a big snowstorm thinking I had an advantage because of my locker. I slid off the road and could not get back out. I finally found some roof shingles that I put under of my tires and I was able to get enough traction to finally drive out. That's when I bought the TRAX that I keep on the side of my SMB. I have never used my TRAX. but I like the secure feeling that they are there when I need them.