Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #61

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrittendon View Post
Contact advanced 4x4 and agile 4x4 is is possible to get a full 4x4 conversion on an old vehicle for $13,000 to $14,000.
Thank you bcrittendon. I had not heard of Advanced 4x4. I had already sent an information request to Agile and just sent one to Advanced.

Thanks, again!

~Terry

wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #62

Garage
Do your research regarding advanced conversions. Id stay clear of them personally. The only people I’ve seen happy with their conversion from advanced are people who lived close enough to drive to the shop every time something fell apart. Weve got a few threads on this forum with members that had nothing but headaches dealing with advanced.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #63

If anyone knows....Ray knows!
Eric06E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 AM   #64

Garage
Thanks shenrie, I did a SMB forum search and found some unhappy campers. Considering I live over 1200 miles from them...

~Terry
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #65

What about a rear locker and a winch? A locker helps a lot.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #66

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Daves View Post
What about a rear locker and a winch? A locker helps a lot.
The winch is definitely a consideration although I'll need training on how to use it. I've heard mixed reviews about the rear locker particularly with my mission profile of driving in snow and mud.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #67

Garage
Agile 4x4 Question

Agile 4x4 question.
Hi, I’m a newer member with a new for me 2008 EB 350 and 3.73 limited slip rear drive that I am converting. I live Colorado, ski and camp. I don’t need or want the biggest, baddest 4x4. I want good, safe road manners and the added security of having 4x4 if needed. My 4x4 limited slip manual v8 stock Chevy pickup has been perfect for me the last 20 years except it is not a van. The limited slip axle may be enough, but what I know from my pickup, when you need 4 wheel drive, you need 4 wheel drive, especially on the highway. What I want to know specifically is: who has experience owning and driving an Agile 4x4 in an E350 EB. Is it like an F-series 4x4? Any weird handling issues on the highway, especially when braking? Also, how reliable from a repair point of view?
LSretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #68

Yeah it is like a solid axle Ford truck. Only heavier and doesn't stop very quickly. Does great over snow packed mountain passes even towing a trailer. Handles nicely with Agile kit. I've got LSD but I don't notice it with 4x4 engaged. I'm happier with the van than my buddies with pickups and hard sided campers, their trucks get tossed around by the wind.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #69

Garage
Agile 4x4 Question

Thanks Simplesez for the quick response. It is my understanding that the Agile 4x4 uses the Twin Traction Beam independent front end. Perhaps yours is any earlier solid axle version from Agile. My specific question is to owners of the TTB version and how it performs on the highway. I’m somewhat skeptical because I also own a 1994 E-250 EB Windsor V8 work van with 250,000 miles on it, a very rugged, dependable and economical truck. It has a 2 wheel drive open rear axle. Living in Colorado I think that there has always been a demand for 4x4 but Ford chose not to offer one other than the Quigley, and if they could have built a Dana 50 TTB unlifted 4x4 with coils on an E-Series that they would have sold a lot of them (congrats to Ford on new AWD Transit). So my questions to Agile TTB 4x4 owners are: How well do they handle on highways, and are they reliable and trouble free. And are they Dana 40 or Dana 50 for an E-350
LSretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #70

Garage
LSretired1, doing an internet search, I found this. It doesn't answer all of your questions, but might be a start until others on this Forum chime in.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...ujoint.195344/