Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #71

Garage
LSRetired1, there are a ton of folks on here with Agile 4x4 conversions, including mine. In a search, I think you’d be hard pressed to find people who are unhappy with it. I can confirm that the ride is superior. It certainly handles way better than the stock ride I had. The 4WD is great, an easy push button system that includes 4Low. As far as the axles are concerned, a good discussion with John at Agile will help you figure out what you need. Working with them was a pleasure.

Like others on here, I can’t recommend Agile and their work product highly enough.

Here’s a couple links. One to my Agile experience and the other to my build thread:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ure-19489.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...g-17377-9.html

Old 11-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #72

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
LSRetired1, there are a ton of folks on here with Agile 4x4 conversions, including mine. In a search, I think you’d be hard pressed to find people who are unhappy with it. I can confirm that the ride is superior. It certainly handles way better than the stock ride I had. The 4WD is great, an easy push button system that includes 4Low. As far as the axles are concerned, a good discussion with John at Agile will help you figure out what you need. Working with them was a pleasure.

Like others on here, I can’t recommend Agile and their work product highly enough.

Here’s a couple links. One to my Agile experience and the other to my build thread:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ure-19489.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...g-17377-9.html
Thanks for chiming in, Otter. I've heard numerous good reviews and zero negative regarding Agile 4x4. I'm hoping to get an Agile conversion plus other stuff sometime next year.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #73

Garage
Thanks to Wander and the Otter for the good info. I can see that there are many options, but I’m pretty sure that if I do convert to 4x4 it will be a TTB setup. I have submitted a quote request to Agile, but to be honest I think I need to build the van out first and that will be a lot of work even with a clean straight truck. For now, I think I will rely on the basics for winter driving, GOOD TIRES (new AT's), and the LSD rear. Those and 4 wheel anti-lock brakes and chains should get me through this winter. I’ll see how many times I have to chain up (which I hate doing), but I’m sure the $ savings over rushing into a 4x4 will be pretty good pay. A great old rancher buddy of mine always use to say, “4 wheel drive just gets you in farther before you get stuck”. He wasn’t the smartest guy you ever met, but he sure knew a lot, if you know what I mean. I’ll keep reading and learning from this thread.
LSretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #74

Garage
I’ll offer one more piece of information. I got my price quote from Agile in late Fall, at which time I made a reservation for early Spring to have it done. I didn’t want to travel 2500 miles through mountain passes in the winter. Two good things happened from that approach: one, I had a $ number that John honored, despite the fact that the price went up by Spring and two, I had my place in line squared away with the deposit in Agile’s pocket. I spent the winter making do with 2WD, secure in the knowledge I would have what I wanted come spring. Something to think about.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #75

Garage
Thanks Otter, I will. I just went and looked at your build and I have to say that we are on similar wavelengths, albeit I may be on a smaller budget. My 2008 E-350 EB was a fleet vehicle maintained by the State of California, very clean. The airline tracks for your floor are exactly what my intentions are. Did you have them let into a plywood subfloor and over the coin flooring? Do you find their humps annoying? Have you found any rubber inserts to keep tracks clean? I have a set of Savanna leather Captain’s seats for the middle passengers that I plan to mount a little bit inboard for passenger road view conversation. Since mine is an EB, I also have a 3 piece seat/bed from an E Series Conversion van for the back, so, seating for up to seven. I think I will still have the EB section for cargo. My plan is still developing, but I also want it to be modular, so I can install and remove driver side cabinets as needed. Thanks for sharing your excellent build.
LSretired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #76

Garage
You’re welcome! Yes, the L tracks are flush tracks set into the Loncoin over 3/4” plywood, bolted through the van floor. There really isn’t a hump, they’re completely flush. They do seem to collect debris near the barn doors, but I brush or vacuum them out regularly. I have seen rubber-ish inserts online and will probably try them out at some point. Right now, I’m still moving components around a lot, so I’ll probably wait until I settle on a configuration I like. It’s nice you have the EB, sometimes wish I did. But the RB forces me to be space-conserving and I like the footprint. Good luck with your build!

P.S.: My budget was small, too. I don’t know how the heck it expanded to what it did. But I’ve been at it for over three years and dreamt about it for twenty-five,so nobody can say I’m not patient.

Did we just hijack this thread? Apologies to the OP!
Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #77

Good point Macmcintire.
Lockers give you courage! This is not good at times! 4x4 gives you even more courage but the courage you get with a 4x4 easily converts to good respectable courage when you have lockers in front and the rear!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:41 AM   #78

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Did we just hijack this thread? Apologies to the OP!
No worries, Otter. All good information.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #79

Garage
I've sent Agile Offroad several Contact forms trying to get a quote on converting my 1998 E250 to 4x4 (OP) with zero responses.

I finally gave up and contacted SMB North to see if they could install the Agile kit on my rig. I got a very nice and speedy response telling me,

"...you can't go back and add 4WD for your van at this time. With the age of the van, I don't know if this is available."

Old 01-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #80

Contact Ujoint. There is a Reason why they are the best at it today.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote