Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Garage
Converting 4x2 to 4x4 on a 1998 E250

I have a 1998 E250SD with 5.4L and about 140k miles. I've been thinking 4x4 would get me more places I'd like to go. I love this SMB and trust it - mechanically and functionally. The new Classic 4x4 is likely out of my price range.

How out of my mind would I be by having a Quigley installed on my unit?

Also, I still want to be able to get the unit through my garage door with 8' clearance. Is that possible?

Thanks! Terry

wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #2

Garage
Not crazy to convert, but you will need to use Ujoint, Agile, Weldtec, etc. as I am pretty sure Quigley only does newer vans with less than 60k miles and may not be doing non-cutaway E series now.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Quigley doesn’t convert used Econolines any more, according to their website. They will convert used GM vans 2013 or newer with fewer than 60k miles I believe.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Quigley doesn’t convert used Econolines any more, according to their website. They will convert used GM vans 2013 or newer with fewer than 60k miles I believe.
Yes, I just saw that. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

I dont think you'll be able to get a Ford 4X4 SMB into an 8' garage.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I dont think you'll be able to get a Ford 4X4 SMB into an 8' garage.
Yeah, that's what I'm figuring out. That's a deal breaker. I've read elsewhere that I can make a big improvement with a locker on the rear end (I'm such a green horn, I don't even know what that is). I sent an inquiry to Weldtec, I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks mikracer.

Terry
Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Garage
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am in the same position. I've got a nice 1995 E250 EB11 with the windsor and 128k, and am trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to convert this older van.
Been talking to chris from UJOR and it appears full conversion before wheels and tires would be around 17k, as opposed to ~4k for the Weldtec setup. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that only a full 4x4 conversion would offer a direct return on investment (unlike 4x2 lift).
My question for the case of Wander and myself, would the conversion be worth the extra investment in terms of capability and resale value?

Tyler
tylers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #8

Actually, if it fits in a garage now an Agile TTB converted will fit as well. That conversion can be done with no lift blocks at the rear, the front will come up to an even stance vs the normally slightly nose down attitude. You just have to tell them you want no lift. So it should be no higher than stock.

What you get with the Agile TTB is the best riding on and off road 4x4 system for these vans.

Your other alternatives are all solid front axle configurations. These raise the front end by about 4 inches and the back end by two inches to even out the height. The four inches is necessary to fit the solid front axle under the front cross member.

Quigley will not touch anything older than about a year. If you find a Quigley system take off from a wreck, this could be retrofitted to your rig. Downside to Quigley is they use a mixture of wear parts some of which are Quigley source only. IF you find a Quigley setup make sure to get the VIN number it came out of so they can send you the build sheet and VIN specific parts that went into that build.

Quadvan in Portland. OR is a Ford certified upfitter. They use all Ford parts in their coil sprung conversions many of which are from your own rig. This makes maintenance much more convenient when figuring out what parts you need.

Expo Vans / MGMetalworks Portland OR - If they are still doing conversions, they offer a coil sprung front end . If they are still doing their install kits but not doing conversions themselves, the kit can be installed by a capable 4 wheel drive shop.

UJOINT Offroad in North Carolina - A leaf sprung front axle that accommodates quite a bit of lift.

Colorado Camper Van - Loveland, CO - they do a very stout Dana 70 conversion. Might be worth considering if you are doing extensive wheeling.

I do not believe WedTec is doing 4x4 conversions. They do make lift kits for the 2wd vans.

Whatever, BEFORE you decide on a conversion - I STRONGLY recommend finding rigs with the various conversions and driving them to see what the ride is like. If you have to fly somewhere to drive one, do it. The cost of a flight or two is nothing compared to the $14k to $20k the conversion will cost. There are significant differences in the ride characteristics between each of the four above.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

Garage
Hey, tylers24, not hijacking at all. Thanks for chiming in. I'm looking forward to the responses.

~Terry
Old 11-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #10

Garage
Wow, Ray, thanks for the information. I will definatley take your advise.

~ Terry