Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Converting older Sportsmobile to 4x4 Opinions needed!

I have been searching for the right van to hit the road for in for climbing/surf/ski trips. Due to budget constraints and impatience I have essentially ruled out ever coming up on a 4x4 diesel camper that fits into what i would like to spend on a van overall (25-30k max).

I have recently come across 2 different gas 2wd vans with suitably built sportsmobile interiors that I am considering purchasing and converting to 4x4 later.

1) Early 2000s 5.4 v8 E250 Rb-50 60,000+ miles.
2) Early 2000s V10 E350 EB-50 50,000 Miles.

Each would be approx $16,000-$19,000 for the van and I will assume about another $10,000 for a 4x4 conversion.

Pros and Cons to converting these vans?

Any opinions or suggestions on most economical 4x4 conversion? (advanced 4x4, quadvan, etc)

Should I just wait to find something already converted?

Opinions welcomed.
Thanks!

pfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #2

Re: Converting older Sportsmobile to 4x4 Opinions needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreeman
I have been searching for the right van to hit the road for in for climbing/surf/ski trips. Due to budget constraints and impatience I have essentially ruled out ever coming up on a 4x4 diesel camper that fits into what i would like to spend on a van overall (25-30k max).

I have recently come across 2 different gas 2wd vans with suitably built sportsmobile interiors that I am considering purchasing and converting to 4x4 later.

1) Early 2000s 5.4 v8 E250 Rb-50 60,000+ miles.
2) Early 2000s V10 E350 EB-50 50,000 Miles.

Each would be approx $16,000-$19,000 for the van and I will assume about another $10,000 for a 4x4 conversion.

Pros and Cons to converting these vans?

Any opinions or suggestions on most economical 4x4 conversion? (advanced 4x4, quadvan, etc)

Should I just wait to find something already converted?

Opinions welcomed.
Thanks!
Pros of converting yourself is you know the 4x4 hasn't been abused! But it's all in the costs, and what you can find.

Agile Offoad 4x4 conversion is $10,500 plus wheels and tires (you can keep your stock wheels but would need to user smaller tires for the 7" width), plus transportation to and from San Diego.

UJOR is about $15,000 plus wheels and tires, plus transportation to and from North Carolina (although he is working on getting a subcontractor set up in SoCal). You can also do the work yourself if you are so inclined.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #3

Not impossible to find a 4x4 diesel smb for $25-30k. Most likely gonna be pre-2000. It's like getting a free van when you consider cost of 4x4 + cost of smb top and interior. Copescobra has one and was considering selling it in that range.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the Replies. Keep them coming!

rallypanam - I will keep Agile Offroad in mind for future converion. I live in Northern CA and work in San Diego frequently so logistically it is the easiest.

Ocsmb - Thanks. I am looking for yr 2001+ .. The enticing thing about these gassers is the low mileage on the engine. Although if I found a 7.3 with around 150k on it I might consider paying a bit more....but those seem to be few and far between. Id like to be in something by the winter at the latest.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #5

I went with an 06 DSL 27k miles at a great price, did the Camburg Lift and shocks, LSD 421 rear diff, BFG AT tires, wheel, Bumpers, winch, other std recovery gear, lights....

Very happy with that and it takes me everyplace I would be willing to go with such a big and expensive rig. The only thing I wish I had is the hi gear of the transfer case, too bad they don't make a hi gear adapter for the rear wheel only.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #6

Garage

Hi, Just had 4x4 conversion done by Randy at Advanced Four Wheel Drive, Salt Lake City, UT. Conversion was $10500 plus upgrade to 17inch tires & rims. I also got them to do Aluminess front and rear bumpers, tire carrier and rear storage box. Great service and very helpful. Front & rear dana diffs as used on F550, all good spec materials.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #7

viewtopic.php?t=14163
What's wrong with this?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14163
What's wrong with this?

I have been eyeing that van. Nothing wrong with it at all! For me the only thing I having a hard time getting past is investing 100% of my budget in a Van that has no interior build-out at all...I realize that I can add interior amenities later...decisions decisions.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #9

Well, I ended up with a very clean 2001 GTRV with v10 and eb-50 type layout...lowish miles to boot! (58k)

Realistically a 4x4 conversion isn't going to happen this year. But that is the overall goal. This weekend I am going to remove the running boards and side decals....Then I need to start thinking about how to make her more snow-worthy to get through the ski season.
I am thinking a good AT tire with snowflake symbol, chains in the back just in case, and possibly a limited slip differential? Feel free to chime in with suggestions for navigating this beast safely around Tahoe in the winter.
Excited to get out and start enjoying this thing!

Will start a build thread after the first few mods.

-Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
gtrv3.JPG  
Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #10

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Once you get the stickers off, you are going to have to wet sand the paint and then buff to get the "shadow" removed. We did a 4X4 conversion and stripe removal on a GTRV a few months ago.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote