Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #31

Someone please read my original post and point out exactly where i stated anything about motorvehicles of any type being an investment.... i will wait.

There are two types of people in this world that spend large sums of money without any concern for what they are getting in exchange for those dollars. Those would be teenagers and imbeciles.

Cost vs benefit is always a matter to be weighed in the adult world when making large purchases.

If youre asserting that you gave no thought to spending thousands of dollars when you purchased your sportmobile or other vehicle, youre lying threw your teeth. If youre asserting that you gave no thought to spending thousands of dollars having someone convert your rig to four wheel drive, youre lying threw your teeth or youre a complete imbecile, take your pick.

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #32

Perhaps a ground anchor could also be helpful?

This will allow you to get an anchor point for the winch in sand, snow, mud.
It would be a fraction of the costs of a 4x4 conversion.
But, a ground anchor and winch will only get you out of a problematic point (or very short road section). If the road itself is problematic for the vehicle in 2wd over longer distances, 4x4 would far better address the problem.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #33

I have a 17,500 pound winch on the front of it. But the last time i was stuck the truck was in the sand facing a lake with nothing around but sand and water.

It appeared to be a common occurrence considering a nearby resident was on standby with a giant case tractor and a chain for $40. The fact is i wouldnt have been stuck if he hadnt torn up the sand with his big heavy tractor with 8 tires on it before i got there.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #34

"IF she causes you to have a heart attack and die that first night you stay there I'd say YES that's a $500,000 night!"

If your dead what do you care?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #35

A ground anchor is designed to work in soft surfaces such as sand, just need to be able to unwind the rope on the winch to take advantage of the winch capacity. So, you would need a ground anchor at a distance from the van that is equivalent to just under the length of the rope. So, if that puts you in the lake, then that is no good.

And for a backup situation, a 10,000 pound winch on the rear receiver is still relatively inexpensive to a 4x4 conversion.

But I would only consider this if the "trouble" sections are short. For longer trouble sections it would take too much time to have multiple winch sessions... Then I would go with 4x4 conversion...

The way I think about it for ourselves is this: if 4x4 gets us stuck, then it probably wasn't a good idea to go there... I like to have margins.. so, if I happen to get stuck I know have recovery tools that will likely get me out of it. On the other hand, if I go into a situation where I know I probably need my recovery gear to get through it, I am counting on that being sufficient, doing away with all or most of the margin...
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #36

Ya, i follow what your saying. But my margin of error is alot smaller with a vehicle that weighs 10,400 pounds dry. By the time its filled with water and belongings its easily in excess of 11,000 pounds. A winch with a capacity of less than double that amount is of at least 17,500 pounds is of little benefit when it comes to a vehicle that heavy. Even my $3000 front bumper is only rated for 16,500 pounds.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:11 AM   #37
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post

Weighing your cost versus benefits, cost being dollars, time, repairs, breakdowns, headaches, ect... benefits of 4x4 being obvious...

Would you spend the money on converting your van to 4x4 again if you had it to do over, or would you spend your dollars on something else or invest it perhaps?

Please give an honest response....

In a nut sell, yes, but I paid to have it built to my specs. My van was bought as a 120,000 dollar tool to explore hard to reach places. I've spent a lot of hours in it since 2006 and I wouldn't trade those days for nothing. You just have to figure if it's hobby you & if you will stick with.
However I see so many people who purchase things that end up sitting. I have other hobbies that are very similar in cost some that have been more idle the last few years. For those who don't use their expensive equipment much it might be cheaper to rent.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #38

Ahh, what price happiness?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #39

I'm really enjoying this thread. Lots of fun stuff to think about.

Chinook, this quote interests me: "There are two types of people in this world that spend large sums of money without any concern for what they are getting in exchange for those dollars. Those would be teenagers and imbeciles."

First, 'large sums of money' is completely in the eye of the beholder. It's relative. Sportsmobiles/vans/campers and all of the other vehicles I've had are hobbies. Only the ones my wife has had or I've used for work or to get there could be considered essential. I think I've had in the neighborhood of 150-200 vehicles, never more than 4 at once. None of them were anything in the realm of new Sportsmobile cost. But even if they were, they were and are all hobbies which had nothing to do with 'real' life.

As I've gotten older i spend more on them but still, just hobbies. Any yacht owner or private pilot is proof that hobbies can cost an insane amount of money and not be stupid, just not someone else's choice. There is little in this world that goes up in value. I was not born to wealth and neither will my children be. Their lives will be what they make of them.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloya View Post
I had a Astro 4x4 for 11 years and don't know why I didn't consider adding a penthouse. I told my wife and friends just last weekend I should of installed one. You may want to think about this. Because if I had we probably would still be using it instead of giving it to our son.
Yeah, the pop-top (ours is a GTRV "V-top"), is the only thing that makes our van workable for a family of three. Kiddo sleeps up top, and the Mrs. and I sleep downstairs.

I've managed to pack in a fridge, porta-potti cabinet, water system, and a stove-in-a-drawer, so we tick most of the boxes, but it's down right cozy. The biggest issue is that even with swiveling passenger seat, etc., we have less living space than a full-size van (or even a VW!), so there's very little room to maneuver. Come bed time, the only option is for me to wait outside while the family gets themselves ready for bed.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote