Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 02:03 AM   #51

Ya, your right. I have committed myself to doing the conversion mentally but im still searching for an axle in good condition. The salvage yard here only has two 05 and up axles but one was involved with a truck that burned and the other has to many miles on it for my likes. I searched Car-parts.com and they had several with over 100,000 miles and up but only one that had lower mileage at 33,000 miles with 4:10 gears DRW located in Oklahoma so i enquired about it but they havent responded yet.

I prefer to compile everything i need to do the job before rendering the truck unusable. Once everythings here i will tear into it and make a new post. In the mean time i will just amuse myself reading the posts telling me what a dummy i am for concerning myself with pinching pennies. Since everyone else is apparently independently wealthy, i feel somewhat ostracized for being disabled and surviving on a fixed income from my railroad pension. Since i specifically set aside the funds to do this conversion over several months, i plan to pinch every penny i can and post a full cost benefit analysis on every part i purchase just to annoy those who spend money just to spend money.

I gotta admit, im somewhat baffled, i was told that i gotta have thick skin on here at times, but then everyone runs away when i throw it back in their direction? LOL, i spent my entire adult life railroading for a living, my skin is so thick that a mountain lion could use me for a scratching post and i wouldnt bleed...

Its ok though, my two dogs love me..

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #52

Spending money to spend money and spending money to have fun are two different things. I'm bowing out too. I think we're all starting to beat a dead horse here. Good luck in whatever you figure out.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Every system has its flaws I just happen to have experienced the least amount with a Coil sprung five link long arm set up as Jeep and most all off road racers have built this type of front 4x4 axle set up for years because of durability and long term performance.
Is there anyone out there installing this kind of setup in the Econoline? In the research I’ve done, the only way to do it is DIY with parts from MG. (Or is the MG kit for a different coilover setup?) And as you mentioned, each system has its pros/cons. I remember reading of some major issue with coilover setups on the Econoline that made me steer away from it. Death wobble maybe? I believe this is why Ujoint abandoned doing this type of setup.

I’d love this type of setup in my E-350 but I don't know of any shops installing them. I’m in Los Angeles—not far from Agile so I‘m leaning towards TTB for my conversion. I also don’t want a 6” lifted van. Even though I’m building this van to go off road, 95% of the driving to get there is on pavement.
thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #54

thejm - go w the Agile Setup. You will be happy you did.

Recommendation - add a front locker, big brakes (if needed) and make your gear choices when doing it. All those things I did piece meal after the initial install, so it resulted in more cost than if I just had done it all upfront.

I have been through different gearings. Ping me if you want to discuss.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:59 AM   #55

I'd bet converting a Chinook to 4X4 which would certainly involve a lift on that narrow chassis, would make it unstable to drive.
dat2ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat2ra View Post
I'd bet converting a Chinook to 4X4 which would certainly involve a lift on that narrow chassis, would make it unstable to drive.
Interesting theory, i currently have a lift kit on it from Weltec and have no issues of that nature. Trailwagons produced the Chinook Baja which was in fact a 4x4 version of my truck and i have never run across any complaints from owners in that regard. I did have to install a Panhard bar in the rear to eliminate tailwag in high winds at interstate speeds though. But that was because i have a Reyco/Granning air suspension system on the back versus leaf springs.
Attached Thumbnails
img_d61yki8xDg_r.jpg   2000-ford-chinook-baja-4x4-lifted-rv-camper-e-350-low-miles-one-of-kind-1.jpg   55123447_934.jpg   chinook 2.jpg  
Old 05-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #57

I think U-Joint did this Red Baja....
Attached Thumbnails
559b40b9a642c313165c30fd12e4e1b3.jpg