Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #1

Cost versus Benefit

Cost versus Benefit analysis....

Weighing your cost versus benefits, cost being dollars, time, repairs, breakdowns, headaches, ect... benefits of 4x4 being obvious...

Would you spend the money on converting your van to 4x4 again if you had it to do over, or would you spend your dollars on something else or invest it perhaps?

Please give an honest response....

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #2

Garage
I bought my SMB with 4x4 intentionally. For me, if I didn't want/need 4x4 and never intended to use it, I would would have gone with a different platform. I would likely have bought some brand Sprinter RV instead, in fact looked at one, another class B "plus", or small class C. I actually looked at an older T1N Sprinter SMB as well, but it needed too much work and wasn't in love with the floorplan or construction.

I spent too much money doing a lift on my van two years ago. Would I do that again? Yes, but due to the Quigley suspension riding on the front bump stops.

I'd have to think real hard about investments. I haven't checked my investments lately, I'm afraid to.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

I looked at some sprinter style vans as well. They all just seem to rust out way to fast imo. I hear you on the investment thing, but then again at this point short of WW3 stocks and investments can only go one direction from where they currently sit. On the other hand, not quite sure how you unflush a toilet...LOL
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #4

Great question. We converted both of our last two vans to TTB 4x4. The first was in 2003 at QuadVan and the current one in 2015 at Agile. ~ $15k each at the time. Would do it again in a second today at $20k.

Investments - when the big checkout day approaches, for me, it will be the ski trips, Baja, remote camping spots, not having to put on chains, the people we met, the wonderful compliments, and the simple knowledge that we went places in relative comfort that many people only dream about.

Fortunately we can afford the mod to 4x4. Anc having a reputable shop like QuadVsn or Agile do the conversion was an easy decision because I do not have the space to do it nor the desire to spend THAT much TIME running around for parts, fabricating, redoing, etc. to save maybe $3 to 4K at the end of the day. Plus I WANTED the TTB in both cases. I had had enough solid front axles in a prior van and trucks to know it was not for us. I have been incredibly pleased with both vans handling on / off road and ride. I do not want a van that has to be raised 6 inches to provide for reasonable bump stop clearance ( minimum 4” w solid). A TTB can be left at stock overall height if so desired and up to 3” If wanting added height.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the input 1der, so you have a dana 50 TTB under yours? My rig is actually an RV and its so heavy im not sure a TTB would survive in my case. But i can certainly see doing it on an actual van for ride quality purposes alone.
I have had so many alignment issues with this thing being so tall, heavy, and twin I-beam that i just want it gone from under my truck.

In hind sight, i think most of the Chinook Bajas used a TTB style setup. I will browse over to Agiles site just out of curiosity to see what its about.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Dana 50 but Agile beefs it it up in many aspects w 60 parts where it can.

Contact David at this thread where he is selling his Ambo:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nce-26122.html

He can give the straight skinny on the TTB conversion he had done. And he has taken his Ambo to some pretty off the beaten path places! He has a extensive build thread on expo and many posts here. Great guy.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #7

There is no cost-benefit analysis in one's final moments. Only benefit. Choose wisely :-)
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

SMB123, There always a cost benefit analysis to be done.

Dont spend thousands on 4x4 conversion = They bury me in a pine box.

Spend thousands on 4x4 conversion for RV = They put my ashes in a folgers can take me home and flush me down the crapper.

LOL
Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #9

1der, i looked at their site and sent them the information and my VIN to get a quote. See what they have to say when they get back to me.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #10

Garage
Chinook with 4x4 will be awesome.