Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

D60 LOCKER Questions

I figured I'd post in the 4x4 section because it's more related to off roading.

I'm currently piecing together a new rear axle...D60 Full Float, 4.10 gears, Disk breaks, and now finally my locker ideas. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems that an E-locker (Eaton) is a great alternative to an ARB and in some respect more reliable (no air lines or compressors) It seems that for my application, I need more than just a LS rear, but don't want a full time locker (Detroit) for icy mountain conditions.... I think. . Has anyone had serious road time in a fully locked and lifted 2wd SMB? Hows the ice or snow handling?

This will be going on my Weldtech lifted EB SMB

How about some input for you folks? What do you recommend?

1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #2

I'm doing a similar swap but haven't made it past getting an ARB installed. Still need to clean and paint the axle, rebuild the hubs, weld shock mounts, and do the swap.

Anyhow, E350 has some good input (post #10) on exactly what you are asking in this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ad.php?t=13941

Feedback on the Eaton here:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6206
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I'm doing a similar swap but haven't made it past getting an ARB installed. Still need to clean and paint the axle, rebuild the hubs, weld shock mounts, and do the swap.

Anyhow, E350 has some good input (post #10) on exactly what you are asking in this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ad.php?t=13941

Feedback on the Eaton here:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ead.php?t=6206
Great refrences!

I should add that I'd be in the snow maybe 1-3 trips a year. Most of the time i'll be doing dry wheeling.

I feel like the more I read about lockers the more on the fence I am...
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

I weighed out the options with my lifted 2wd EB and decided that going with the Detroit was MY best option, but I only see LIGHT snow a couple times a year at best. I've owned my share of open diff, limited slip, auto locker, and selectable locker equipped vehicles and I would indeed avoid an auto locker if icy conditions were the norm... things get "exciting" real quick! Like you, I see much more dry/rocky/sandy conditions so snow/ice driving characteristics were not even factored into my decision.

That being said, both ARB and E-locker are good units and if you are willing to spend the extra coin, I wouldn't turn either down. The E-locker will require you to buy new 35 spline axle shafts (like the Detroit, they do not offer a 32 spline version) so by the time you factor that in (about $300-$350), it is +/- the same price as the ARB (which DOES have a 32 spline version) including the compressor.

I personally don't think a limited slip is even worth the effort in a 2wd that will be used offroad, if you float a wheel and need to use heavy throttle, you're stuck. That's the same reason I went with mud terrains even though an all terrain would be preferred 90% of the time. That little bit of extra traction can make (and has made) the difference between getting through or a difficult extraction. We don't get plan B of locking the hubs and trying again!

Beyond that, your plan B ends up being airing down your tires and/or winching. Airing down will help prevent you from getting stuck in the first place, winching only helps to get you un-stuck. Having on-board air starts looking like a good option vs driving 50 miles on the highway at extra low air presures just to find a place to air up, so maybe the expense shouldn't be added to the ARB since it would be a good idea to have regardless of what locker you're running.

Just trying to throw in a few more factors to consider for your big picture.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Well thought out and accurate reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I weighed out the options with my lifted 2wd EB and decided that going with the Detroit was MY best option, but I only see LIGHT snow a couple times a year at best. I've owned my share of open diff, limited slip, auto locker, and selectable locker equipped vehicles and I would indeed avoid an auto locker if icy conditions were the norm... things get "exciting" real quick! Like you, I see much more dry/rocky/sandy conditions so snow/ice driving characteristics were not even factored into my decision.

That being said, both ARB and E-locker are good units and if you are willing to spend the extra coin, I wouldn't turn either down. The E-locker will require you to buy new 35 spline axle shafts (like the Detroit, they do not offer a 32 spline version) so by the time you factor that in (about $300-$350), it is +/- the same price as the ARB (which DOES have a 32 spline version) including the compressor.

I personally don't think a limited slip is even worth the effort in a 2wd that will be used offroad, if you float a wheel and need to use heavy throttle, you're stuck. That's the same reason I went with mud terrains even though an all terrain would be preferred 90% of the time. That little bit of extra traction can make (and has made) the difference between getting through or a difficult extraction. We don't get plan B of locking the hubs and trying again!

Beyond that, your plan B ends up being airing down your tires and/or winching. Airing down will help prevent you from getting stuck in the first place, winching only helps to get you un-stuck. Having on-board air starts looking like a good option vs driving 50 miles on the highway at extra low air presures just to find a place to air up, so maybe the expense shouldn't be added to the ARB since it would be a good idea to have regardless of what locker you're running.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post

What a great post. Thanks for the input!
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500