Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #1

Deavers/Bilstein Upgrade

I posted this question on the thread in the known issues section, then read the "please read before posting here" post from jage (sorry jage, I promise to fix myself).

Two questions:

1. It sounds like everyone that has gone forward with this upgrade is in an '07 or older SMB. Has anyone had a chance to compare the '08 and up setup (mine will be an '09) with the Deaver upgrade directly? If so, impressions?

2. The Bilsteins that are described, are they 7100 series? It seems to me that with the weight of the SMB, remote reservoir shocks would be a minimum requirement. Dual shocks would be even better (single mono-tube Bilsteins aren't currently cutting it in my Jeep). However, it sounds like everyone is describing a space issue for the rear shocks.

My plan is to get my interior done, add all accessories (bumpers, winch, sliders, cage, etc), then move forward with the 4x4 upgrade. The hope is to get the suspension right the first time to save time, money, and hassle. My take-away from the discussions about springs and shocks is that a strong answer might be Deavers with Bilstein 7100's (dual front, single rear) as an upgrade from SMB's current standard package. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Eric

Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

Re: Deavers/Bilstein Upgrade

Dont know if this helps but:

I have a 2001 EB w/ Cruiser top

Two weeks ago put in bilstiens and a 7 leaf Deaver set up

Dramatic improvement

money well spent

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Team

From my limited knowledge, and none of it firsthand, I've been told by some knowledgeable desert racers that the only value in remote reservoir shocks is for high speed cycling of the shocks (e.g. desert racing). That said, I have remote reservoir shocks on my Bronco, but only because I got a screaming deal on rebuilt Fox racing shocks.

If you had asked this question two days ago, I would have asked the guys at Deaver yesterday when I was there (for the Bronco).

Herb
Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #4

I was just talking about this topic yesterday at Extreme Off-Road. We were discussing why the mono-tube Bilstiens on my Jeep weren't lasting as long as you would expect.

My argument was the rock crawling shouldn't be that abusive to them with proper bump stops and limit straps (Jeep has both). He agreed and mentioned that the only thing he could think of was the washboard road when entering/exiting the Rubicon Trail (only trail I've been on with these shocks) from the CA side. That comment made me think of two things:

1. How fast I had driven that portion of the trail over and over.
2. How many discussions there are on this forum about washboard road driving with SMB's.

The advantage he sold me on to the Bilstien 7100's is that they can be serviced. What made me think of them for the SMB was repeated, high speed (relatively short) cycles driving on washboard roads. With a 9,000 pound vehicle, that's gotta heat up the fluid (reasonable-man theory, not a rocket scientist here). More fluid can only help. Just like more oil or transmission fluid to keep engine and transmission heat down. As we've already discussed elsewhere, heat is bad.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Team

Eric,

Clearly in the interest of science, the answer is clear. You need to have SMBw install OME (Old Man Emu) springs and shocks on one side of your van, and Deavers/Bilsteins on the other side of the van, and then drive your van high speed over washboard roads and tell us which side is best. Sound like a plan?

Herb
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #6

Herb,

I know funny. That's funny.

I see an SMB/Bronco/Jeep trip to Big Bear in my future...

Eric
Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Herb,

I know funny. That's funny.

I see an SMB/Bronco/Jeep trip to Big Bear in my future...

Eric
You can always sign up for the Bill Burke trip that I signed up for; Utah in early May 2010.

http://www.bb4wa.com/trips.htm

Herb
Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #8

If you guys want to do a Big Bear trip. Let me know. I have an XJ with 35s and of course the SMB.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

I'm in!

Well, first I need to get the van here from Ohio, then design and get the interior installed, then unload (sell) the Yukon, then the 4x4 upgrade.

But, then (if I have any money left over for gas) I'm so in!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #10

What valving are they putting in the 7100 Bilsteins?
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote