Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Detroit Lockers or Detroit Truetrac?

Trying to find out which would be best for certain conditions for adding a traction device for the front:

In my case I have a 4x4 (Open Diff Front and Back) with a limited slip in the back which works great so far but for the front it's open diff; aka no lockers in front.

I've gotten out some hairy sand action for fun using this setup but having the added traction would be nice. Especially for ICE. I heard full lockers on ICE is a no go but a limited slip type device like the Detriot TrueTrac might be excellent..

From what I've gathered the Detroit Truetrac work quite well in Ice, Rain and Sand but has that limitation related to tiresize, gear ratio. But I've read that it works well on ICE.

I'd like to know if the other option of going with the Detroit Locker would also work well in ICE since it's complete locked. It just might not be.

It's also interesting to note that the Detroit Truetrac works when the wheel is turning, and maybe not for the Detroit Locker; does it work with the wheels turned in the same direction versus wheel speed?

I'd get the ARB locker setup but I've had issue with the air line plumbing and other issues with it being there when you really need it on my Landcruiser..plus the ARB locker setup is alot more coin.

Another reason I like the Detroit setup, it's relatively straight forward to put them in.. no clutch packs, additives, no electronics, no air/lines needed..

Thoughts anyone?

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #2

I like the selectable locker by Eaton, the E-locker. It is simpler than air and very good. On ice and other really slippery surfaces you don't want to be locked. The van will only slide. You want an open differential up front to keep something guiding the van. If you are using a Detroit or full time locker upfront you can unlock one wheel hub, if you have to, to stop sliding.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
I like the selectable locker by Eaton, the E-locker. It is simpler than air and very good. On ice and other really slippery surfaces you don't want to be locked. The van will only slide. You want an open differential up front to keep something guiding the van. If you are using a Detroit or full time locker upfront you can unlock one wheel hub, if you have to, to stop sliding.
That E-Locker looks good too.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/ ... 128304.pdf

Apparently Eaton owns the Detroit Lockers too.

Do you actually have the E-Locker on your van?
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #4

No locker yet but it's on my wish list along with Deaver springs, dual front shock mounts, premium hubs, steering assist,....

Got an extra $5000 sitting around?
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
No locker yet but it's on my wish list along with Deaver springs, dual front shock mounts, premium hubs, steering assist,....

Got an extra $5000 sitting around?
Nothing extra
Been saving up month to month, that's one the reasons I'm trying to go cheaper with the Detroit Locker/Truetrac option..

E-Locker looks good on paper but I was looking at that hole you have to drill to get the wire through..
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu