Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Differential Problems - Please advise

I'm far from home and the rear end is going out. Again. I'm done messing with it and want to upgrade to a full float rear axle. But not this week and not in Bozeman Mt.

Am I crazy to think that I can pull the rear drive line, strap it to the roof and drive 1k mi home in "front wheel drive". ?? This is a 2002 e350 Quigley.

Please advise if you see a flaw in my plan! !

Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

Re: Differential Problems - Please advise

I'm not an expert but you *might* be able to pull pinion shaft out and then front wheel drive it home.

Just pulling the driveshaft isn't going to help too much unless the noises go away while coasting. You still run the risk of the unit locking up. Hopefully it would just strip the gear set before that happens.

Again, I'm no expert. And I'd probably drive it until it figured itself out, especially since you're going to replace the whole axle.

Good luck.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Probably not the most ideal situation, but I've seen it done before! Is your transfer case slip yoke or fixed yoke at the rear? If it is fixed yoke, I'd personally go for it. If it is slip yoke, you are going to have a hard time keeping the fluid in the t-case with the rear shaft out. I had a plastic plug that I purchased from an auto parts store years ago just for that purpose, though I would definitely not expect it to survive extended highway driving.

Do you know what exactly is failing? Everything in the rear end will still be rotating even though there won't be any torque going to it, so there is still the likelyhood that the part might fail even with the driveline removed.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #4

Viejo: I did just that on my 1970's IH Scout. But I was only 100 miles from home. I would think you could paint or scribe a mark on the yoke and drive shaft at both ends for realignment (at least with the transmission) and then drive slowly 45 to 50 mph home, but be careful because if the rear end is "going out" it is likely generating more heat and it could be catastophic if it failed on a turn or on a steep -- because there is really nothing holding the axle in on a semi-floating axle but some C-clips in the differential and the brake calipers at the axle ends? On the other hand Bozeman is a pretty straight shot on pretty good roads through ID touching the corner of OR to Arcata, CA.

I will watch to see what Baja, daveb, carringb, and others who know more have to say.

Finally, just to call an audible for a change of play. That guy John at Quadvan is the real deal and real helpful. So you may want to nurse it to OR and call ahead 503.224.3629 (even today leaving a message) and ask him how much to install a FF rear axle. He knows what works, what yards to find a used one to keep the price down. I considered driving my van up to have him do it. You will be driving down and it just takes a right turn (I am on the stump for Trump) to go by his shop.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
I'm far from home and the rear end is going out. Again. I'm done messing with it and want to upgrade to a full float rear axle. But not this week and not in Bozeman Mt.

Am I crazy to think that I can pull the rear drive line, strap it to the roof and drive 1k mi home in "front wheel drive". ?? This is a 2002 e350 Quigley.

Please advise if you see a flaw in my plan! !
Find a local wrecking yard and purchase a D60 FF form a wrecked van and have it installed - shouldn't cost much in Bozeman and you can get it regeared and rebuilt when you get home.

If you have a flange or yoke type output on your t-case you could drive it in front wheel drive. I have done that before a few times. It is one of the reasons we use flanged T-cases in our conversions - easy to remove a drive shaft and still drive it.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #6

Last trip I pulled my driveshaft and drove a couple of hundred miles in front wheel drive. However, my rear end was good and my u-joints bad.

So, the answer is: Maybe

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #7

Latest Update

Pulling the drive shaft won't work. T-case side u joint not fixed.

Only solution left is to do the FF rear end transplant here in Bozeman.

Every repair shop in Bozeman is slammed with broken RVs. May be stuck here a week or more finding parts and getting the work

Where should I start looking for a D60 rear end?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Latest Update

Pulling the drive shaft won't work. T-case side u joint not fixed.

Only solution left is to do the FF rear end transplant here in Bozeman.

Every repair shop in Bozeman is slammed with broken RVs. May be stuck here a week or more finding parts and getting the work

This place seems to have what you are looking for.. With your choice of gear ratios:

http://www.aftautoparts.com/
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:

B & R is the largest wrecking yard out west. They don't have a Montana location but deliver daily.

1-855-339-1932
Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #10

http://www.car-part.com

Network of nationwide wrecking yards all in one searchable site.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote