Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #21

Back with a bit (but not much) of an update. As I mentioned before a number of items for this build were delayed so I haven't been giving this project much attention over the last few weeks. Here are the updates:

Tires&wheels arrived. Surprise surprise they hit! When I set out on this build was fairly confident "we" had agreed on 35's so the 37's were a new hurdle. They don't hit by much and currently trying to determine if I slide the axle forward a touch more or just go higher. The owner has voted to just go higher. Currently working on this game plan.
Attached Thumbnails
37 side.jpg   37 Front.jpg   37 Hit.jpg  

Pucry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #22

Thought I'd also post a few picture to show the range of adjustment in the Superlift radius arms. Once we have the final ride height determined this will definitely be an advantage.

I've also been playing around in the parts store catalogue trying to see if there are any crossover parts that could be used in this build. Thought I was onto something with the draglink arm off a 5500 series Ram. It has a z-bend in it and I thought it would keep the ball joint at the axle at a happier angle. You can see this in the picture below. However it's slightly shortly and this might be enough to make it unusable. Time will tell.

I also picked up a truck pitman arm, it was clearance for $8.00. How can a guy go wrong lol. It's the same splines, orientation as the vans only the C-C distance is 1.30" longer. this would allow me to move the axle forward for additional clearance and still insure the drag link is out in front of the axle.

Still waiting on a few other parts to arrive and have a bit more brain storming to do.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #23

Those tires really make the fender opening look small. It is not uncommon to remove some of the lower fender area (but then the stock running boards are too long) to get more room for bigger tires.
Attached Thumbnails
trimmed front fender.jpg  
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #24

Any updates on progress? Im curious how those superlift radius arms worked out in the end?
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:33 PM   #25

Okay so I have a confession. I'm somewhat skilled at building cars and much less skilled at documenting and sharing these adventures. Over the years I've consumed countless build threads off the various forums that I lurk around and have taken away a lot of value from them all. I always feel obligated to do my part to build the community and set out with good intentions to have my own well documented and detailed build thread......and......as always I fail. lol

Much Progress has been made, some pictures were taken, often out of focus because I don't want to take the time to add some lighting or slow down. The van is now outside (that was an adventure), sitting on its 37" tires, only waiting on a rear drive shaft and it should (fingers crossed) be ready for a road test.

Here are some pictures of what we ended up with.

Remembered to take a few pictures of the track bar bracket when it was off for welding.

Removed the "mock up" axle and started building the van one of its very own.

These are a few random pictures of the components painted and installed. Oh and I decided to build a new trans crossmember to allow clearance for the front drive shaft and slightly drop the mounting location. Unfortunately no pictures were taken during fabrication, woops.

I also made some progress on the front bumper. I'm fairly happy with it so far, I think when all the lights and the winch are installed it will look better.

I also built an over sized fuel tank. Spent a few hours looking at other fuel sending units and found one identical to the stock E350 unit but taller. So then I just increased the height of the fuel tank to match. Should be around 200 liters or 53 gallons. No Idea yet if the fuel gauge will read proper or not. So far I only have around 8 gallons in it and that was enough to move the needle of empty so hopefully.

More Random Angles.....

2" Wheel adapters for the rear.

The rear lift is comprised of a 4" shackle reversal that I posted earlier and some angled 3" lift blocks that I fabricated. This allowed me to move the rear axle back 1" for better tire clearance and also set the pinion angle correctly.

That pretty much brings us up to speed... Her she is!

Old 08-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Any updates on progress? Im curious how those superlift radius arms worked out in the end?
Replying to this comment directly. So far I think the Superlift arms are great. But the really answer will come when a wheel alignment is done and the caster angle is dialed in. At current ride height we are right in the middle of the adjustment range and as best I can tell caster is close to where it should be.

Visually speaking I really like the arms they've totally eliminated the big bulky radius arm hanging down below the vehicle that IMO is an eye sore.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #27

I agree they look superior to the big bulky ford arms. My curiosity was in the area of caster as you stated. I inquired about the same arms and if i recall they were designed for the F series trucks of course but with a minimum lift of 4" inches and a maximum of 8".

Im installing the MG kit on my rig but i have no idea what amount of lift it equates to in relation to the F series pickup suspension height. Having to much caster can be just as bad as not enough.

Nice work though, looks good, its comical that you had to get that thing out of that tiny garage. Its as tall as the house.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #28

Garage
I'm the last person to attempt anything along these lines, but certainly can appreciate work performed by someone that has talent, a creative mind, an eye for detail, and all complimented by the drive to do it right! Looks great.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #29

Garage
Everything looks really good. Great work! Hopefully everything aligns ok and the van drives well. Van looks huge in front of the house, lol.

Crazy you found space for 7 more gallons of fuel than transfer flow did when they were making tanks.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #30

Garage
What they said, looks great.