Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 02:01 PM   #51

Garage
Great craftsmanship - really like the bends integrated on the push-bars attached to the front bumper, compliments the "van lines" nicely!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #52

Wow, that is incredible workmanship!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #53

Turned out really nice. Skills
Old 09-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #54

Beautiful. Impressive work!

Any chance you could get a driver side shot of the van showing your fuel tank? I'm curious how that looks installed and how far it hangs down.

Thanks!
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 AM   #55

My Lord, how have I missed this thread?? Incredible work. The fuel tank alone is a masterpiece. So many angles and indents. I haven't read of anyone trying to tackle something like that. I would definitely be interested in one of those.

Like the front bumper too, especially that it has a bull bar and light protection. I've seen way too much expensive front end damage just from deer, not to mention a totaled Dodge Ram 4x4 from a wild boar and a totaled F350 from a cow!

If it's anything like the rest of what you've done, I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for the interior.

I could go on and on but I have to keep taking my hands off the keyboard to lift my jaw off the floor!

Two questions: You mention the van probably couldn't go much lower. Do you have an idea of how high it’s lifted (before wheels and tires)? Do you think 35's or even 34's (295/70-18) would fill the wheel well?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #56

I agree, option 2, nothing more need be said about the 7.3. No way would I get involved with a 6.0, an engine in which a loose battery cable or low voltage can destroy thousands of dollars worth of parts, not to mention the many thousands needed to make then reliable. Ok, standing by for the 6.0 fans to flame me.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #57

Thanks everyone for the support. Really great community here, I do not have nearly enough time in my days to be part of it.

I have around 200km (120mi) of highway driving on this van now and I must say I'm super impressed. At speeds of 100-110 KPH it's a one hand on the steering wheel type drive. I've owned a few lifted vehicles and this one is among the best driving and biggest. Tomorrow it leaves on it's first road trip. The owner is doing a 2400km road trip to Vancouver so it should be interesting to get his feed back as he has limited seat time. Wished we had more time with it prior to setting out on such an epic journey but oh well.

A few here have commented on the fuel tank. I was really trying to make the shape identical to the contours of the stock tank. It looks cool and was a fun challenge but probably isn't necessary and if I were to build more would simplify the design significantly while trying to attain the same volume.

I'm still searching for a van for myself but it is proving to be a real challenge. Balancing the features that I want with overall used condition, I haven't yet found a van in which those two cross. A clean 2005 extended body with a 5.4 engine has just come up for sale about an hours drive from me. I don't really want to longer body and do question how well a 5.4 would handle my plans for a van........but it's clean. lol. I also have a 12v cummins sitting on a stand from a project that never materialized. I'm tempted to buy a van 100% based on overall condition and then try my hand at a cummins conversion. This would open up the possibilities significantly.

Steelheadjones - Sounds like you have bad luck with animals. lol. Hopefully this bumper is never tested against any of the creatures you mentioned. To answer your question. The Superlift radius arms move the frame pivot point up significantly from stock, the range is about 3-3/8" to 7.875". This van is set @ 5" so if you rolled the axle to the absolute minimum of the adjustment range you could presumably come down 1-5/8" from it's current height. Only downfall would be you'd no longer have any adjustment range to set your axle caster. I'm working on building my own radius arms to be a happy medium between the superlift arms and factory, (although since I don't own a van I'm not sure why I'm doing it). To give you an idea of the lift, the measurement from axle centerline to edge of fender is 30.5". Hope that helps.

Here is a few more photos of progress and the last one is for you neatvan to show the fuel tank.

Pucry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucry View Post
A few here have commented on the fuel tank. I was really trying to make the shape identical to the contours of the stock tank. It looks cool and was a fun challenge but probably isn't necessary and if I were to build more would simplify the design significantly while trying to attain the same volume.
I think you will find a lot of buyers if you can do this. I would definitely be interested.

Quote:
Steelheadjones - Sounds like you have bad luck with animals. lol. Hopefully this bumper is never tested against any of the creatures you mentioned.
Not to tempt fate, but I avoided all those creatures. Other drivers next to or in front of me weren't so lucky. I did have a deer duck under the front bumper of my first SMB on a forest service road, but I stabbed the brakes and she escaped unscathed.

Quote:
To answer your question. The Superlift radius arms move the frame pivot point up significantly from stock, the range is about 3-3/8" to 7.875". This van is set @ 5" so if you rolled the axle to the absolute minimum of the adjustment range you could presumably come down 1-5/8" from it's current height. Only downfall would be you'd no longer have any adjustment range to set your axle caster.
That's a lot of range. I think 4" looks better with 33's and 5-6" with 35's. It sounds like you'd still have a little caster to work with at 4".

Quote:
I'm working on building my own radius arms to be a happy medium between the superlift arms and factory, (although since I don't own a van I'm not sure why I'm doing it).
If you build them, it will come...

Quote:
To give you an idea of the lift, the measurement from axle centerline to edge of fender is 30.5". Hope that helps.
I'll check my van to see how that compares.

Nice switch pod mounting.

Still a lot of clearance under that tank as is.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:49 AM   #59

Great looking build! Well done!

Red Deer, Medicine Hat...been around those parts in the past.

Huge thanks for sharing progress. For those of us like myself in mid-build it is nice to follow one to gain and share knowledge. I do like the super lift arms, was wanting those as well but opted out due to geometry concerns. I did however go with Zone offload arms thinking they were beefier stock profile arms, so may have to back track that thought.

Nice bumper, nice tank, overall damn nice work!
Redemption Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #60

Quote:

Here is a few more photos of progress and the last one is for you neatvan to show the fuel tank.

Man that is sweet. Consider this an open invitation to be your next fuel tank guinea pig!
1984 Dodge B250 Get-Away-Van camper conversion (sold)
neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote