Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #11

I edited my post (probably had 15 mins left before it was cast in stone) to better reflect our experience with our Pathfinder. It was a fun and capable rig and I always appreciated that it got us places and brought us back with no complaints.

The maintenance around knowing which parts to get was greatly simplified by having the parts list. This is absolutely the same for a Quigley conversion. One of the first things I do is contact Sabrina Grace at Quigley and request the build sheet using the VIN#.

Our Quadvan TTB conversion we had done in 2003 utilized the brakes and steering the van came with so maintenance was very easy. It was a major reason for going with Quadvan along with the ride of a TTB.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post

WHAT?

Rock Auto carres ignition modules.

The powertrain for 2wd vans was identical EPA certified to the pickups,
I haven't done much research on the earlier 80's stuff. Once you hit '88, the control systems are not the same as the pickups, and seem to lag by about 3 model years. This is actually good in some ways, in that you CAN find the earlier ignition modules. But if you want an ECM for a 1990 B3500, I think you're SOL.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Thank you all for the replies. I googled Pathfinder vans and came up with a facebook page that looks promisinq.
Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #14

Most of the earlier PF's were D44 front axles which if driver drop were Ford models with leaf. The issue with Ford model D44's is the inner axle tappers down near the ring and pinion and then back up, sort of like an hour glass shape. This is where they all snap when tested. The other issue is that the shackle is at the front rather than at the rear which gives a little bit of a rougher ride. Any pot hole or off road bump pushes back towards the frame which causes the rougher ride therefore quicker failure of spring bushing if used greatly in off road scenarios.Don't get me wrong this is a good platform if at the right price to upgrade over time! You just have to be aware that the more payload you add the more susceptible to breakage the front axle becomes and the stiffer the ride becomes as it flattens out the spring. Chrome moly inner axles will aid but a complete D60 upgrade would be better with a rear shacle conversion.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #15

This is a coil spring front suspension and looks like Ford radius arms. Fortunately I'm not planning on building it out further. If anything I'd be stripping it down a bit.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #16

Then the D44 should be fine. The radius arm bushings are available in rubber or urethane from James Duff, Energy Suspension, C.J. Pony, Jeff's Bronco Grave yard to name a few.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #17

Thanks Vanimal!
Old 09-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
The maintenance around knowing which parts to get was greatly simplified by having the parts list. This is absolutely the same for a Quigley conversion. One of the first things I do is contact Sabrina Grace at Quigley and request the build sheet using the VIN#..
Thank you! There is another van I'm considering that's listed as a Quigley but there is nothing in any of the pics that would indicate who built it. That would be an excellent way to get some of the info the seller doesn't have and doesn't seem too motivated to research.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #19

Quigley will be a short arm 4 link in early models not shure in more recent models.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
We had a 1976 Chevy c30 Pathfinder 4x4 25 plus years ago. I found the parts list for that conversion and treated that document like gold. I was able to decipher the Pathfinder part numbers to cross reference to the Chevy / Ford / Dodge parts and what was Pathfinder custom. Those conversions used parts off of all of the makes.

I would only buy a Pathfinder conversion van that includes that document cataloging the parts, or f I could get my hands on it before buying. It is too much of a headache.
The conversion was sound and capable so that was never a worry.

I remember one of the younger guys that worked there ended up w a crap load of the parts and had some documentation. IF you can find him, he will be the Yoda you are looking for
Do you still have that cross reference list?
I took front axle to install on my van... pathfinder, need bushings.
I know it has been mocked already with a regular trackbar... but I will deal with that.
Radius Arms are the critical ones for now...
nlambuca is offline   Reply With Quote