Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #1

Drop hitch size?

I was at the store today picking up a new ball hitch setup for the SMB since I don't currently own one but need to tow some things. I have the SMB 4x4 build. I was wondering what size drop hitch are people using? I even tried a search while I was at the store for this topic and found nothing. So I went away empty handed until I get confirmation on the drop.

I was debating between the 4" drop and the 5 1/2" drop. Do I need more or less? What are people using to get a standard trailer somewhat level (i.e. like a boat trailer or cargo trailer)? Thought I would ask the question so others can reference it too.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #2

Re: Drop hitch size?

Roonie ,
You need to wait and see what the required height of the tongue on trailer that you will be pulling is and go from there . I currently have three different Ball mounts from 2" to almost 6"
You might also look at one of the Adjustable Hitch's that are available , they appear to be expensive initially but actually are cheaper than the cost of multiple setups . Check out
www.etrailer.com and reference Ball Mounts .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #3

Re: Drop hitch size?

Roonie ,
You should also take into consideration the overall length of the Draw Bar .Two of my mounts had to be custom fabricated to accommodate the needed clearance for my Aluminess Bumper and accessories for a sharper turning radius !
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote