Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #1

Dynatrac Puking

How full do you guys, with the Dynatrac rear, fill your fluid? When I got my Dynatrac, it was down about 1/2" - 3/4" below the threads on the fill plug. I called Dynatrac and the guy said to fill to the bottom of the threads. Pretty much as I've been doing on all rear ends my whole life. Well, it puked out fluid (what a mess) till it ended up the 1/2" - 3/4" below the threads again. This normal or do I need to make another phone call??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Dynatrac Puking

The earthquake shook it out!

Could a bearing going bad, and generating extra heat cause more expansion of the fluid, causing it to puke?

Herb

[EDIT: I assume it's coming out the breather?]
Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Stranger than fiction, the same thing happened to me about two weeks ago, it puked once and never again. Not sure what’s up with it however, I have since discovered that it also puked back into the air line for the rear locker, the entire length of the line and is now fouling the locker operation. I think a complete drain, pulling the cover and replacing or purging of the air line is in order??

What says you guys?
Old 04-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Yeah, it puked out the breather. Can't imagine a bearing overheating would cause that kind of expansion.

Either I've got something wrong going on in there, or being that low is just where it's supposed to be. I know most any differential will spew out if it's overfilled, but I thought that you always filled 'em to the bottom of the fill plug threads. Anyone out there pulled their plug and stuck a finger inside to check levels?? This is on the Dynatrac, not the Ford one.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 04-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Stranger than fiction, the same thing happened to me about two weeks ago, it puked once and never again. Not sure what’s up with it however, I have since discovered that it also puked back into the air line for the rear locker, the entire length of the line and is now fouling the locker operation. I think a complete drain, pulling the cover and replacing or purging of the air line is in order??

What says you guys?
CJ,

I have this issue on my Bronco. From my research, it could be a clogged breather, or it could be pressurized air leaking past the ARB locker seal, forcing diff fluid out the air line. So far I've lived with it, though it does make a mess.

Herb
Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ

Thanks Herb, I found similar info on a site I stumbled on.

For me it's not a mess yet! However I do have to cycle the locker switch on/off and then again to get it to actuate.

I have both front and rear, so the first of the tree switches preloads with just the compressor, next switch for the rear runs a short shot from the compressor to engage and next switch same for the front. However the compressor does not preload when the first switch is moved to "on" the other two do their job, sometimes having to flip the rear on/off/on though. Problem is in the rear line only.

I have checked and yep both ends are engaged. Weird!

I have a month long trip planned for June and need to get it fixed prior to that so I'll let you know what I find.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

Well, I figured out my puking problem. Nope, not too much rum.... On the Dynatrac rear ends, they use the stock Ford center section and just add new tubes, axles, etc to make it a full floater. They also add one of their cool pot covers and there's the problem. Their cover has the fill hole in a higher location then the Ford one and Dyantrac recommends using the same amount of fluid as specified by Ford. So, you don't fill a Dynatrac to the bottom of the fill hole as is normal. It's about an inch down. I need to check out a stock Ford cover to see the exact difference.
Seems pretty dumb of Dynatrac to make a cover with the fill hole in the wrong place. Guess it's better then putting it too low....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

My Dyanatrac (front drive diff) started to puke out gear oil last year after changing the oil. Breather tube was clear enough for the fluid to spill out. Transfer case not shifted to front drive and hubs are not locked so there is little to no gear movement in the front diff. The left seal blew and spilled enough oil that it no longer dumps it on the ground. Has anyone confirmed the gear oil levels with Dynatrac?
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

1/2 inch below the bottom of the plug hole is what I've been told.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #10

I also was told to fill 1/2" below the fill hole by the people at DynaTrac , I made the mistake that Scatter made out of habit from previous rear differential's at 3000 miles and made a smelly mess . Their Fluid Hole is a little higher up on the cover .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote