Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

Dynatrac's Dynaloc hubs, problem and fix

While at the Valley of Fire meet and greet Cheryl and I went off to do some 4 wheeling. We got out to a trail and went into 4 wheel drive but the hubs would not lock in. We went back to camp and talked to some fellow SMBer's and no one had an answer. We still went off road and did the Bitter Springs run in 2 wheel drive and low range with no problem.
I got home early monday afternoon and called Dynatrac and was told to check what kind of "Piliot Bushing" my hubs have. My bushings are black plastic or nylon. Dynatrac is going to send me new bronze bushings and new gears. It should correct the problem.
I will add more to this post when I receive and install the new parts.
Here is a PDF link for those who have "Dynaloc" hubs.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products/par...strucitons.pdf

Image below after removing Lock Knob and Hub Snap Ring still in place.

After remoming Huv Snap Ring.

Removing Shaft Snap Ring.

Inter Lock in hand and Outer Lock still in place.

The Plastic Bushing can be seen inside the Outer Lock.

Outer Lock removed with Plastic Bushing inside.

From left to right: Plastic Bushing, Outer Lock and Wave Spring.

Another image of the Plastec Bushing.

To Be Continued.

Woody

Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #2

Re: Dynatrac's Dynaloc hubs, problem and fix

Good info, thanks.

Can you elaborate a bit on what happened when the hubs would not "lock in" and enable 4wd?

I've got the dynalocs too and have been pleased with them. But I'd like to know what to look for if I encounter this problem in the future. Mine click into the unlocked position and default to locked. At times I've forgotten and left them locked for 2,000 or more miles.

Thanks
R
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Good info, thanks.

Can you elaborate a bit on what happened when the hubs would not "lock in" and enable 4wd?

I've got the dynalocs too and have been pleased with them. But I'd like to know what to look for if I encounter this problem in the future. Mine click into the unlocked position and default to locked. At times I've forgotten and left them locked for 2,000 or more miles.

Thanks
R
Before I go 4 wheeling, I shift the transfer case into gear (front and rear) and lock the hubs in. Then I shift the rear end into neutral and make sure the front wheels pull ( I don't trust lights ). Last weekend my front wheels would not pull after locking the hubs in. The front drive shaft and the axels would turn but nothing to the wheels.
Dynatrac told me the plastic/nylon bushings swell and won't move. My bushings were quite tight.
If out in the boonies and this happens I think you could remove the bushings and things would work ok. Before the plastic/nylon bushings, there were no bushings at all.

Woody
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

The Dynalocs are an expensive option. What do they offer in reliability or features that the Warns don't?
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Dynatrac's Dynaloc hubs, problem and fix

So when they break they DON'T break engaged like they say. Think I'll pass.

Z

http://www.tomsinclair.net

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Good info, thanks.

Thanks
R
Before I go 4 wheeling, I shift the transfer case into gear (front and rear) and lock the hubs in. Then I shift the rear end into neutral and make sure the front wheels pull ( I don't trust lights ). Last weekend my front wheels would not pull after locking the hubs in. The front drive shaft and the axels would turn but nothing to the wheels.
Dynatrac told me the plastic/nylon bushings swell and won't move. My bushings were quite tight.
If out in the boonies and this happens I think you could remove the bushings and things would work ok. Before the plastic/nylon bushings, there were no bushings at all.

Woody

Thanks. I'll do a similar check on mine this afternoon.
R
Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Got my new gears and bronze bushings installed and everything works nice and smooth. After removing the old gears and the nylon bushings, I cleaned them up to send back to Dynatrac. I could see how the nylon bushing swelled when I put them together for shipping. I had to push quite hard to get the gears and bushing put together.
The job was easy to do with the PDF I downloaded from Dynatrac's website.

Woody
Old 03-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #8

hey ... been a long time since I posted ... I have a 2010 E350 with Dynaloc front hubs and had same problem in May 2011. When I tried to turn the hubs from open to lock ( O to X ) I couldn't do it by hand. I had to use big pliars to turn into lock mode. Started driving and heard clicking noise ... mostly from left side ... right side was hard to lock but didn't seem to make noise. So I kept them unlocked and didn't to any 4X.

Took it to 4 Wheel Parts where I live and tech took it apart and we could see the composite ring was "sticking" and not letting teeth engage.

Called DynaTrac and they sent brass replacement sleeve free - it is a design problem and brass sleeve is the fix.

Works prefectly now ... no problems at all. Will try to post pics but haven't had luck in the past. I did send photos to Peter Del Toro at SMB.

warholic
Attached Thumbnails
011_resized.jpg   012_resized.jpg  
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #9

warholic,

Same thing exactly, only mine wasn't making any noise.
I would recommend anyone that has Dynatrac hubs to make sure they ingage before four wheeling. If they don't lock in, you might get in somewhere and you can't get back out.

Woody
Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #10

Hey Woody -

I would recommend to anyone with Dynaloc hubs that you replace the nylon sleeves with the brass before you do any off-roading. I would do it yesterday because it will fail eventually. This is a design flaw and the parts were free to me, just cost labor.

To save time, call Dynatrac and get the replacement parts sent to you, then bring it in to your 4 wheel place for repair - cost me $100 .... and of course they service the front hubs and wheel bearings too - pack everything with grease.

warholic
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote