Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Dyno test Quadvan 4x4 Transit with 33's

Well before letting Racechip start working their tune magic I thought I would be fun to get a baseline dyno test....
And it was a hoot, scary as crap with a rig I need to put into the SEMA show in a few days but still fun.

https://youtu.be/tOI5jaqSv9U

Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #2

Looking forward to the AFTER test!

FYI - you aren't "down from stock". You are measuring at the rear wheels. Factory numbers are at the crank. 20% is a pretty typical parasitic loss on RWD trucks. Your loss is less than that, so either the Transit's driveline/transmission/accessory-drive is more efficient than other trucks or it's really making more than 400 ft-lbs at the crank.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 AM   #3

Garage
^^^ yep, what he said.

also keep in mind how the dyno owners calibrate their setup. numbers can easily be manipulated. some places cater to dyno queen cars that just want that piece of paper that states a high hp. other places will calibrate properly for real world numbers and accurately tuned machines. those places always end up with nick names pertaining to heartbreak of some sort.

major key to a proper baseline is always using the same dyno when you do your upgrades. that way regardless of how the dyno is calibrated you know exactly what specific mods did or didn’t do for your performance.

all that said, it’s been cool watching your build and love seeing a dyno involved. look forward to seeing results from future mods!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

I agree with both of you...
Ford says 400ft lbs and I agree it would at the crank and 358 at the wheel is good. It still feels like plenty on the butt dyno driving

The mention of using the same place makes sense and it will be worth driving back out to Socal to keep accurate information.

I am all about hard data vs feelings so if there is anything else you folks want to know about just ask.

Oh and thanks for following along, I am paying for most of this out of pocket (vs some fully sponsored rig) so I am glad others are enjoying the adventure also.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #5

I love it when experienced pros talk about what makes the facts. THANK YOU.
Stewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #6

Garage
Saw the van and the man at SEMA. What great build and builder. Nice to see you and experience the show.