Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #1

E-350 Conversion VSS details

I have a 2004 E-350SD with the 4r100 transmission. The plan is to convert to 4x4 using one of the available kits. I will have to change the output shaft on it in order to mount the transfer case. I also have to locate the appropriate tailhousing. Which brings several questions to mind. In my research i have run across an aluminum tailhousing as well as a cast iron housing.

Can either one be used??

Since the 4r100 has an input sensor and an output sensor, where will the vss be getting its signal for the rear sensor after the swap? Is there a trigger wheel in the transfer case or does it get its signal from the same location on the new output shaft in the transmission??

If its getting its signal from the same location on the new outputshaft, is it possible to have a trigger wheel manufactured with the proper tooth count to replace the existing trigger on the output shaft to avoid using an ERA??

After the output shaft is replaced as well as the tailhousing, will the NV271 bolt up directly or does it need an adapter of some sort??

My rig has the v-10 engine, can i just use an F-350 V-10 exhaust Y-pipe or will it have to be custom built??

Just trying to gain a full understanding of what needs to be done beyond bolting on brackets. I plan to just have the transmission shop rebuild the existing tranny for me because im to old to manhandle a transmission of that size around in the driveway. But if i can simplify getting the proper vss signal somehow i would prefer to do that during the rebuild versus using an electronic device to manipulate the signal.

Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #2

The transmission will need a 4wd tail housing and shaft that has the truck style tone ring & VSS. The stock E series VSS is different so the truck sensor will read SUPER fast. The conversion box slows the signal to the computer so everything is happy and the speedo can be adjusted at the same time.

Once the truck tail housing is installed the NV271 bolts right up. Doesn't matter which housing you use as long as it has the VSS.

The truck y-pipe won't work, front section of the exhaust needs to be fabricated to get around the F shaft and t-case.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #3

Do you think its possible if i ship the truck output shaft to a machinist they can modify the existing trigger wheel to the same diameter and tooth count as the van trigger so i can avoid using the conversion box? I dont know if the trigger wheel is pressed on the truck shaft or if its forged as part of the shaft. I was thinking maybe they can machine it off of the shaft and then build a trigger wheel the proper diameter and press it back onto the shaft? I mean its not a deal breaker but i just feel like another electronic gizmo is just one more thing that can malfunction. Machine the teeth off of the old ring, machine a new outer ring with the proper diameter and tooth count, press it back on over the remaining old ring surface, kinda like pressing a tone ring for the ABS onto a hub??

Maybe the van pickup sensor wont fit the new tailhousing either and its more the AC/DC signal issue thing??

Thanks for the reply, it helps, now i know i need to order a 2 into 1 merge collector and have the exhaust shop build a new Y-pipe before they yank the transmission.

Now i need to figure out if i need to trash the OEM catalytic convertor and muffler. It appears the transfer case will be sitting right where the cat is located and the cat is so fat i think its going to rub at a minimum. Moving the cat closer to the frame isnt an option because theres a frame mounted propane tank on the other side of the frame. Theres no way i can move it and the muffler back towards the rear axle because the muffler is so long then combine the length of the cat and i wont have room for a tailpipe to make the bend over the axle.

I guess i can have them make the new Y-pipe come back further towards the rear, keep the factory cat, and just buy a shorter muffler. I was hoping to avoid trashing this OEM muffler because i just installed it last year it wasnt very cheap since i got it direct from ford.(just thinking outloud)

The exhaust seems like a piddly thing and it probably is if it wasnt an RV that i cant just tow to the muffler shop because i didnt address the exhaust first. i do things kinda backwards sometimes i guess. The nearest reputable exhaust shop is 50 miles away.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #4

Could it be done? Maybe but I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze if you can find someone to do it. The method I described works and has worked on hundreds of vans so I personally wouldn't bother.

I'd wait to have the t-case and front shaft installed before making new exhaust.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Ya, i hooked up with a guy i found on facebook. They do some amazing CNC machine work and they will do one offs as well. He was going to machine me the dually hubcentric adapters to adapt my old 8x6.5 alcoa wheels onto the dana 60 with the 8x170mm lug pattern because i was having a hard time locating something that would work. I may still have him build them but i have to wait until i get the axle installed so i can see what the final trac width is going to be in relation to the rear axle.

Here, thanks for your input, have a look at the amazing stuff these guys do, you will thank me. You could probably work a bulk discount on output shaft trigger wheels and never have to install another conversion box again. His quote to me for the steel dually adapters was beyond reasonable for a one off set of adapters.
https://www.facebook.com/innovativemachiningsolutions/

Opens a whole new world of endless possibilites... Why stifle innovation by compromising and limiting development to whats already on the shelf.