Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2022, 05:15 PM   #11

Thanks for all the suggestions, this has been super helpful. First off, I will go with the local shop. While I wish I had the tools and skills for a DIY fix, it is beyond me!

All the ideas and info has got me thinking that I might not need the full RIP. It is the front end that is the issue and the measurements from SheepShagger are eye-opening.

For front up-travel, I've only got 1 1/4"! I think that's the killer.

The back is spot on, with 4 1/4" up travel and honestly, I don't feel like I ever bottom that out. I guess because if I did, I'd be unconscious from the front end bounce sending me through the cab roof!

Next thing is to get the weights on each axle. Then I'll be able to confirm highway tire pressure. Currently doing 60 / 80 PSI front and rear, just based on the SMB sticker in the side door.

With that I'll head to the 4x4 shop and talk over options.
Attached Thumbnails
front_up_travel.jpg   rear_up_travel.jpg  

coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:33 PM   #12

Which 4x4 shop?
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
It’s all relative, and dependent on the weight of your van and tires you have, but running the rears at 80 is pretty high, I run my 16” 315’s on my close to 10K lb rig at 55/60 F/R for every day and highway driving, higher when towing and I air down to 30/35 for extended off highway.
Not saying your suspension wouldn’t benefit from some new springs and shocks, but you’d get a much better ride by just lowering your tire pressures.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
It’s all relative, and dependent on the weight of your van and tires you have, but running the rears at 80 is pretty high, I run my 16” 315’s on my close to 10K lb rig at 55/60 F/R for every day and highway driving, higher when towing and I air down to 30/35 for extended off highway.
Not saying your suspension wouldn’t benefit from some new springs and shocks, but you’d get a much better ride by just lowering your tire pressures.
I agree 80 is way high. Timberline Van conversion on my 2008 E350 EB I'm running Hankook 275/70-18 (~33.5") "E" load range van weight 8000ish lbs. Started at 70psi front and rear and I have been slowly letting air out since day one about 23,000 miles ago now. About 6 months at each test. Went to 60 then 50, then 45 and now For the last 4-5 months I'm now running 43psi. They are wearing perfectly flat, I did a 5 tire rotation at 10,000 and 20,000 miles. It rides better at each psi step and I have experienced no negative handling effects. Gas mileage is 11 to 11.5 on the V10 typically driving 65mph but i have driven it 80 for 7-10 miles just to see what it felt like, felt fine and wouldn't mind driving it that fast except for the fuel burn. Best I've ever seen was 12.5 mpg. I run 25ish psi off road.

Just my way of saying I'd play with some tire pressure before you do anything so you can at least know what it will or won't do for you before you change too many things at once and not be able to really know.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #15

Call Henderson's and see if they'll install it. They'll get you sorted no matter what your issues, and you may not even need the kit. It's a drive from the Bay, but well worth it.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #16

Coot. PM sent
wl1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by coot View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions, this has been super helpful. Then I'll be able to confirm highway tire pressure. Currently doing 60 / 80 PSI front and rear, just based on the SMB sticker in the side door.
On the PSI, different width/size tires will need different PSI's for the same vehicle, the 80 you are using is probably simply the max PSI on that specific tire. IE a wider tire can usually be run at a lower PSI and take the same load than a narrower tire. Below are some calculations based one my vehicle weight and different size tires, and using the manufacturer max load / max psi I calculated the PSI (just the starting point) for my vehicle.

The other thing I found interesting when I calculated the above is when I moved from 285 to 315 width tires, (33" to 35") they actually take less air to fill to recommended PSI so quicker to air up.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #18

I had my local mechanic do it, any good shop that does suspension work should be able to pull it off. Your going to want one that can do a (custom)front end alignment...some shops wont touch it if they cant type in the year, make, model and than follow the computers prompts.

Tags
agile offroad, rip kit