Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #1

Econoline/Dana 44 front sway bar bushings?

I ordered a set of Energy Suspension sway bar bushings for my 1994 Quigley E350, not realizing that the bar end grommet bushings (or whatever those are called - not the mount bushings) were going to be different. The bushings are the correct diameter, but are not long enough for the Dana 44 front axle. Has anyone replaced these, or happen to know what the factory part number would be? I do not see a listing for this part in my documentation from Quigley, and have not found a listing through Energy Suspension for the factory-equipped D44 SA ford trucks.

Thanks!
Dave

Davelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Re: Econoline/Dana 44 front sway bar bushings?

Call Quigley direct. They have all the info on your van. I would ask lots of questions while they have your info in front of them. Write it all down so you will have a copy readily available. I have been doing this as well. I am making a copy of everything so I can have a master at home and a copy to take on the road with me. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #3

You say you have a Dana 44. Is that what they put in the front for the 4x4 conversion?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

Yes, Dana 44 solid axle up front from Quigley. This is a 1992 though, not a 1994 as I stated above. I did have Quigley send me the build info on it, which included 2 pages of parts & part numbers. Unfortunately, the sway bar bushings are not listed.

I used the new bushings that I received, though being a little short I do not know if they will stay in place. I guess I will find out tomorrow I may also just go with new stock rubber ones versus the poly ones I got from ES, as they might be a bit too firm.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #5

Larry Yates at Quigley has been a wealth of knowledge for me, and he's nice to deal with, especially compared to everyone else I've dealt with there. I would give them a call and ask for him specifically.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #6

Since the poly bushings are right except in one dimension, can you just buy longer ones from the same place?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Since the poly bushings are right except in one dimension, can you just buy longer ones from the same place?
Yes, though I will have to take it apart to measure it, which I am hoping to avoid without having at least some form of correct bushing to reinstall.

I called Larry Yates at Quigley, though he simply referred me to Customer Service. They looked up the part and said it was a stock Econoline bushing and gave me the part number (F2UZ-5K486-A). I called Ford and they confirmed that this was the part number for the stock bushing. They have some in stock, so I am going to drop by there in the morning and check them out. If they are the proper size, I'll pick up a set, take measurements and then install them. I can then order the proper size poly bushing to install when I am feeling bored. It is possible that the poly bushing set just happened to come with the wrong set of grommet bushings, but we will see.

If the factory bushings are the same size as the existing poly bushings (too small), then I get to start over and try again. I'll post what I determine tomorrow.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #8

Well when I picked up the new bushings at the dealer, it was obvious that this was all just user error (me). I did not realize that the factory bushings were inside a metal sleeve, so I had scraped out the rubber from the sleeve and then installed the new bushings inside the sleeve. That does not work so well.

I removed the old metal sleeves and then installed the poly bushings in their place. They not only fit great, but that was so much easier to install! Now I have a set of new factory bushings in case I ever feel the need to go back to those.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #9

I firmly believe we learn best by making mistakes. Those tend to sink deeply into memory, never to be forgotten.

I've learned alot that way.

Hey, the best part is you solved the problem relatively cheaply. Unlike some of us. But no need to talk about that.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote