Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Elvis dont have 4x4

so after many things I got fixed or am adding to the list to be fixed. we in Montana finally got some snow. (Boz)

happy about that cause I have a 4x4 right?

well after my around town drive feeling like something isn't right I have figured out that its not engaging or locking.

transfer case does it thing as far as I can tell. maybe a little loose, and my 4x4 light finally came on in 4lo. thought it didn't work at first, but it don't stay in 4lo very well. the slightest nudge bumps it out.( it does leak slightly at the case halves)

so anyway, when I turn the warn hubs it almost feels like there loose and don't really engage or lock like I think it should. so far around town in the snow and ice the rig is heavy and does well enough for now, but having 4wheel is nice to have cause I have it. so dam it I want it to work lol.

I have not had the chance to take it apart cause its below zero right now and I don't have a garage. so I guess what I am asking is a heads up to those that might shed some light on this so when I am able to approach the task. what to look for and what I might need before I tear things apart to fix it.

any help would be greatly appreciated. (things to look for or expect

I am happy to report that it started at 11 deg. lots of smoke blueish/white smoke. but it started. so I am happy. good to know as I hope to get some ski resorts in this winter and will need to to start when I am done on the hill.

MTDewX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #2

Re: Elvis dont have 4x4

It could be as simple as a hub issue. I had a similar occurrence with my Warn hubs and it was resolved by taking it apart, cleaning it and re-assembling it. It didn't have that "click" that you usually get when rotating the hub position. There's not a whole lot to the assembly.

BTW, I believe we ran into you at a gas station in Bozman in Sept. Nice to meet ya!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #3

I believe you were at the gas station right by walmart. yes that was me.

I will check that out when it warms up.

thanks for the heads up. I have never taken hubs apart before.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Buy the WARN hub seal kit before you take it apart. you can get them from most parts stores.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Buy the WARN hub seal kit before you take it apart. you can get them from most parts stores.

thanks for the heads up.

looking to be above freezing this week. so I will try to do it this week.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #6

well I finally got my van back together and able to get it to the shop for my transfer case.

I will try and explain it the best I can cause I dont know the names of the parts involved.

the shop got it apart and found out that part (hunk of metal plate) that the fork uses as a guide was loose. and since it mounts to the case it self they had to look for another half. luckily they had one in the shop.

that plate was loose enough to lean away from the fork is why it didnt engage into 4 wheel drive.

bearings were ok, but I asked them to replace them all so they were new and hopefully I will never have to mess with this again.

will have update either later today or tomorrow if all goes well. then I get to test the 4x4.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

update,

shop cant find a loaner case. so they sent it to a machine shop to sleeve the loose part. that will fix the issue.

course more $ to get that done, but at least it will be done.

wish I could afford to upgrade. just not in the cards right now.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

Elvis dont have 4x4

Welcome to my world MtnDew! Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #9

well I got my van back and i have 4 wheel.

turned out my transfer case neede more love than I thought.

the plate that guides the fork. the base area that attatches to hte case was loose. so a machinist had to drill it out and sleeve it to make it tight again.

which of course cost more $.

once I get home I will try and figure out to post pics.

the bad with all this is I leanred the BW1356 is not the best choice of cases for our vans. but as long as I dont go rock crawling or tow really heave I should be good for a while. to much to convert at this time.