Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2022, 10:47 AM   #11

Yes, both EMF and Dynatrac are fully rebuildable without pressing the body out of the knuckle. But if you cant grease the joints thats a big negative on the pro vs con scale regardless of where its manufactured or price point.

Right now im leaning towards the EMF joints just for that reason alone. Thats not to imply that Dynatrac is a bad product. But what i need for my rig is something strong as well as practical from the maintenance stand point. Im having trouble justifying that price point if i have to dismantle the knuckle or spend two hours laying in the driveway just to get some grease inside them when its time for maintenance.

Yes they are rebuildable but i dont want to be rebuilding joints because the initial design prohibits greasing them.

IMO thats ok for a dedicated rock crawler or something that only gets used on weekends, but not for a rig that gets driven regularly.

LOL, i think i already convinced myself which one im going to purchase at this point.

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
yup, they are rebuildable. When I talked to Dynatrac about what grease to use they guy told me grease was optional because of how tough they are.

JoeH, how are you getting grease into the uppers?
Old 10-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
JoeH, how are you getting grease into the uppers?
I haven't bothered with it. As for the lowers I ran them dry for a bit as they were very tight at first and then greased them. I'm at about 20k now so about time to regrease the hub bearings so I guess I'll have a looky.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #14

Do you think its possible that he meant it doesnt matter what type of grease you use because the balljoints are that tough?
Old 10-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Do you think its possible that he meant it doesnt matter what type of grease you use because the balljoints are that tough?
No, as I recall it was more like grease was optional. But my memory is hazy since I did the install along with bigger brakes. Thread here: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ade-26682.html

Maybe give them a call and ask. I'll also add that I've never heard of a failure or even folks having to rebuild them that much on expedition portal.

Steve Marrone
National Sales Manager
P (714) 596-4461 X201
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:49 PM   #16

oh, ok... i will read threw your post and hop over to expedition portal and have a look as well. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:20 PM   #17

Spoke with CJC Offroad in depth about the EMF vs Dynatrac joints. They sell them both. I told him what my rig is and what the dry weight of it is and he recommended that i use the EMF joints vs Dynatrac not just because of my concerns about the inability to grease the upper but because of the weight of my truck.

That said thanks for everyones input on the topic, much appreciated.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’ve been running with the Dynatrac ball joints on our heavy rig for years, no issues and haven’t had to have them rebuilt yet. Not familiar with EMF
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
When I talked to Dynatrac about what grease to use they guy told me grease was optional because of how tough they are.
Due to budget constraints, I installed Moog ball joints, and grease them at every oil change. It's not that I think the grease wears out, or runs out, it's mostly to flush out any dirt, grit or water that gets in, same for all the other grease points. It's not uncommon to see the old grease coming out looking black which must be from contamination.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:37 PM   #20

My budget was depleted for this month as well when i installed the custom rear leaf springs and a couple smaller items. I cant order the ball joints until the 1st but i will post up pictures when they get here since the EMF joints dont seem to be mainstream at this point.