Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #1

EMF vs DynaTrac Balljoints

I am going to replace my ball joints with some heavy duty units due to the weight of my truck. Has anyone here used the EMF balljoints? Any opinions on which unit is better between EMF and DynaTrac specifically?

DynaTrac seems nice but i dont like that the adjuster to remove play in the balljoint is nothing more than a threaded plug in the bottom of the ball joint. where as the EMF is adjusted from the top of the balljoint.

Also it seems the Dynatrac body is taller than a factory balljoint which could lead to damage if an axle ujoint goes bad and hits the balljoint. I have never spent this amount of money on balljoints and would appreciate some experienced thoughts on the matter if anyone has any?

Dynatrac ball joints

EMF balljoint
Attached Thumbnails
dynatrac_product_photos_044_1_1_1.jpg   EMF_Lower_Balljoint_2013-2017_Dodge_Ram_3500_2000x.jpg  

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #2

Garage
Subscribed. This is timely for me ScrapIron since we are developing plan's to replace key components on the FE as well.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:54 PM   #3

There is a price difference between the two with the EMF joints being minimally cheaper than the DynaTrac units. However with Dynatrac you have to buy their install tool for another $20 on top of the balljoint cost, EMF provides their tool when you purchase their balljoints.

When all is said and done EMF is about $100 cheaper if you order them from EMF at $600 to $640 a set tool included. Dynatrac comes in at $689 to $740 plus $20 for the Dynatrac install tool.

You can find free shipping on both if you browse distributors.
Old 10-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #4

Heres a DynaTrac balljoint sitting next to its stock counterpart. Note the difference in height. That extra material will place the upper balljoint body closer to the axle shaft once installed. I dont see how you could possibly install a grease zerk in it.
Attached Thumbnails
12-Dynatrac-HD-Ball-Joints-Ram-2500-6-20-14.jpg  
Old 10-20-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

Hi ScrapIron, If it's helpful for you here is some photos of my DynaTrac ball joints installed. I installed these in 2016 in my 2005 era DynaTrac ProRoc 60 front axle. Note that only the lower ball joint has a zerk fitting that hangs down. I sheared off my zerk fittings off of my original ball joints, so clearly I don't wheel as aggressively as I used to since these are still there.

If it's not clear in the photo I rotated the U joint to the most close to the ball joint position. There is approximately a 1/4" of clearance between the rotating u joint ears and the ball joint housing or nut, depending on upper or lower.

I forget I have these installed which is why I like them. Not saying you should use DynaTrac just sharing the info in a photo for you.

- Eric

Full View

Upper Closer Up

Lower Close Up
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #6

Thats what i kinda thought as far as the upper grease zerk. There just isnt room. That would leave a guy dismantling the knuckle just to grease that upper ball joint, or the other option would be just never grease it and then rebuild it when it fails. Have you had to adjust the play in the joints since you installed them?

Maybe a guy can crank the wheels full tilt one direction and then rotate the axle until the zerk hole lines up with the gap in between the stub shaft an dthe axle shaft? Reach in there and remove the zerk plug an dthen screw in an actual zerk, grease it, then remove the zerk and put the plug back in? LOL
Old 10-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #7

No experience with EMF but the Dynatrac ball joints are 100% made in the USA (the engineering, materials, machining, and assembly) if that matters to you.

When I did Dynatrac ball joints the install tool was $10. It's a simple 3-piece press bushing kit. Part DA60-1X3050-C.

If your not installing the ball joints yourself any shop should have an array of ball joint press bushings that will work.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #8

I haven't done anything to the ball joints since install. I have about 20-25k miles on these ball joints. Some off road but mostly at 75MPH on the interstate. My van weighs 9800lbs, not sure on individual axles. I removed the knuckles myself and had a local machine shop press the ballpoints out and in. I don't remember but isn't the idea behind DynaTrac ball joints is that they are rebuild-able without pressing them out again? Future Eric will worry about that. Like I mentioned, these days I forget I have them.

I am relieved no one mentioned my rusted out rotors. Those will be a this winter project.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:31 AM   #9

Hard to go wrong with Dynatrac parts. They are Dana axle experts and very well regarded in the hardcore 4 wheeling world.
rescuejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I haven't done anything to the ball joints since install. I have about 20-25k miles on these ball joints. Some off road but mostly at 75MPH on the interstate. My van weighs 9800lbs, not sure on individual axles. I removed the knuckles myself and had a local machine shop press the ballpoints out and in. I don't remember but isn't the idea behind DynaTrac ball joints is that they are rebuild-able without pressing them out again? Future Eric will worry about that. Like I mentioned, these days I forget I have them.

I am relieved no one mentioned my rusted out rotors. Those will be a this winter project.

- Eric
yup, they are rebuildable. When I talked to Dynatrac about what grease to use they guy told me grease was optional because of how tough they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Brake Upgrade_8.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote