Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

Experience going from 33" to 35" tires

Just looking for reactions from those that have made the move from 33" to 35" tires. Any regrets or bad experiences? I have a 6.0PSD, 4:10's & 4x4 (SMB). I'm not concerned with tire rubbing, but more concerned with actual or perceived feel in power, braking, mileage, and general drivability of the 35" compared to 33".

A little background .... I have one tire that is particularly more worn than the other three (I ignored an alignment issue way too long). Getting closer to a Colorado trip with a lot of 4-wheeling planned that I don't want that one tire on. I can either
a) get 2 new tires (33") to match existing tires and keep them together (front or rear);
b) buy 4 new tires (33") and keep the same spare, or;
c) buy 5 new tires (35") because I think they'll look better and I'll be cooler!

I'm guessing I have a good 15,000 miles left on the good 3 tires although they are pretty "chunked" (that seems like a good word to describe chunks missing from the tread) from all the 4-wheeling on sharp rocks.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

Re: Experience going from 33" to 35" tires

I went from 33" BFG which were worn so much that going to Toyos in 33" gave me at least an inch!

Also, consider you side step height... going to Deavers and then the Toyo's ruined "the perfect height" for me.

Also, also, you're not allowed to park next to me anymore if you get the 35s.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #3

In any case, I support 5 matching tires and 5 tire rotations. Makes it simple (not easy, just simple) to do rotations at home with a single jack and no stand. Rotating tires is a good time to check brakes, lines, brackets, grease things that need it, etc. Not to mention it increases the life of the expensive tires.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

My 35's definitely rub in the front when I hit a bump with the wheels turned they hit the bushwhackers. I know one forum member knocked his bushwhackers off while wheeling after installing 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

We upgraded from the factory 245/75-17 tires (like 31.5") to 34.5" BFGs almost immediately after purchase. Didn't really have enough miles on to notice an extreme difference. Our van has the diesel engine and 4.10 axle ratios. The bigger tires are heavy and result in slower acceleration and longer braking distances. Not that these vans were fast or had great brakes in the first place.....

A lower axle ratio (higher number) would help in the power department at the possible expense of fuel economy. 70 mph on the freeway is just under 2,000 rpm which is supposed to be the sweet spot for the diesel engine and yields around 16 mpg for our 8,000-lb van.

I had to trim both the factory chrome bumper and plastic valence to keep from rubbing on the 35" tires. Quigley says these tires shouldn't fit, but nothing rubs and I haven't torn off a fender flare yet.

Love the look and off-road performance of 35s, but its a hike to get up into the van. Wouldn't want to do it without the Aluminess side bars. Have to make an effort to raise yer butt out of the front seats instead of sliding down if you want to keep the leather from wearing out.
Attached Thumbnails
Old tire.JPG   Front tire.JPG  
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #6

I ran 295/75R16 BFG ATs for 55K miles and achieved 16.4 mpg overall. I then switched to 315/75R16 BFG ATs and have logged 42K miles on those tires. The first feature that was most noticeble with the 315s was the improvement in the ride quality - BIG improvement. I believe part of the improved ride was do to the fact that the 295s were a 65 psi tire whereas the 315s are a 50 psi tire; and of course the taller diameter and wider foot print on the 315s help too. The 315s seem to really take the harshness out of running on the crumbling Bay Area and California highways. Traction off road and in the snow was alwys great with both sizes. I have not had any clearance or rubbing issues with the 315s. Fuel mileage has dropped to around 15.4 mpg overall with the 315s, but I have added weight to the van with bumpers and winch etc. I will not get as many miles of wear out of the 315s but the improvement in ride quality is well worth the difference. And of course the 315s do look way "cooler" on the SMB.
DPRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies.

DPRock - What year van do you have? I'm guessing you have a pre-2008 and smaller front brakes since you are running 16" wheels like I am (I think it was 2008 that they went to the bigger brakes?). Was there any noticeable increase in braking distance or effort? Any more "struggle" to get things rolling from a stop?

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #8

I went from 285's (33") to 315's and don't regret it. It's not as harsh off pavement and I haven't noticed any performance issues related to power. I also have 4:10's and the 6.0L. My springs have sagged a bit up front so at full turn on compression the front tires rub on the bumper.
On top of everything else....it looks way better.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #9

pjpvi - I have a 2006 SMB 4x4 traveller with PH. I have the 6.0L PSD and the Brakeman upgrade (pads and rotors). I did not notice any difference in stopping ability when switching from the 285s to the 315s. I just give myself plenty of room... On the power side, the only difference was that the transmission would downshift a little sooner when pulling the grades in the mountains (E/B I-80). There is still plenty of power to go as fast as I want to go.
DPRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #10

We have 35 toyo MT's on with stock gearing. Power feels the same as stock. The ride is great. Ours is an 09 6.0 psd with flares and there is no rubbing at all.
I have the same on my f-150 but did change to 456 gearing and was a little worried at first when we made the change on the van but once we got on the road my worries went away. The stock gearing is fine.
77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote