Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by torboschen View Post
Hi MG any updates for us on the Transit 4x4 saga?
I work on the design every day. I've made some really good progress the last couple weeks too. I'm close enough on some of the part designs that I've started working with the press brake operator and machinist to figure out any special tooling needs and we've started doing some test pieces to check for fit up. We'll be making usable parts by mid-Oct.

As you may imagine, there's a list of little details a mile long. I've got my ideas for each and every item on that list but I'm also working on two customer builds and other product development efforts. Not enough hours in the day...and my wife won't let me work 20 hours per day, 7 days per week.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I work on the design every day. I've made some really good progress the last couple weeks too. I'm close enough on some of the part designs that I've started working with the press brake operator and machinist to figure out any special tooling needs and we've started doing some test pieces to check for fit up. We'll be making usable parts by mid-Oct.

As you may imagine, there's a list of little details a mile long. I've got my ideas for each and every item on that list but I'm also working on two customer builds and other product development efforts. Not enough hours in the day...and my wife won't let me work 20 hours per day, 7 days per week.
MG, anything new to report on the Transit efforts over the past month or so? I've listed for sale my tricked-out '87 Volkswagen Vanagon to raise funds for a Transit!

Thanks!
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
MG, anything new to report on the Transit efforts over the past month or so? I've listed for sale my tricked-out '87 Volkswagen Vanagon to raise funds for a Transit!

Thanks!
As a matter of fact, yes. Lots to report. I got some of the prototype laser'd and formed parts last week (OMG they are beautiful!). I'm planning on writing up a new update soon; just trying to get some parts assembled so I can show pictures!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
As a matter of fact, yes. Lots to report. I got some of the prototype laser'd and formed parts last week (OMG they are beautiful!). I'm planning on writing up a new update soon; just trying to get some parts assembled so I can show pictures!
Awesome, looking forward to seeing what you've come up with!
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #15

When MG goes silent, it means he's getting it done!
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #16

Subscribed to keep up with progress of the magician!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #17

There's so much going on right now but we finally got a chance to make some prototype parts and install them. Not 4x4 yet but the plan is to test out the new ride height/suspension geometry/tire size/gear change during a long road trip over the xmas break. I found a low miles, 3.73 limited slip axle on ebay for a deal so we installed that rather than opening up the stock axle and committing to a gear change right now (I'm not convinced yet that I want 3.73s anyway...I might go 4.10s with a locker for our rig. This route is a less-work, less-expense test with the bonus of having an extra axle around to play with in the end).

The van sits perfect (for my tastes). Ride is much better with Fox 2.0s out back. Handling feels just like the stock van (with a slightly heavier feel of the larger tires).

Wheels: Method Standard, matte black, 17x7.5, 5x160mm, 50mm offset
Tires: Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx 265/70-17

Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Wow, starting to look like a van instead of a Crossover.

Herb
Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #19

Looking real good!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #20

Looks fantastic, making good head way!
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote