Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

Ford Econoline quigley 4x4 Fender flush wheel choices

Hi gang.

Looking to see what wheel size and offset gave you front and rear fender flush fitment on a Ford smb Quigley 4x4 without having to use spacers.

This is for a 2006 but I doubt there’s any difference between years on any quigley 4x4 for the econoline

TIA

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #2

No way to get "flush fitment" front and rear with the same size wheels at each corner. This is because the track is 3" narrower in the rear. 1.5" to 1.75" spacers in the rear get you matched up in track.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

That’s right. Now I remember. It’s been awhile. Better to get spacers in the rear so you can have 5 of the same wheels/tires for rotation and a spare that can be used front or rear.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
No way to get "flush fitment" front and rear with the same size wheels at each corner. This is because the track is 3" narrower in the rear. 1.5" to 1.75" spacers in the rear get you matched up in track.
Why is the track in the rear narrower than the front? Just curious because I have a 2008 SMB Quigley 4x4 too. Looking for tires and wheels with a 5-wheel rotation plan as well.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ford Econoline quigley 4x4 Fender flush wheel choices

Let’s see if I get this right and make sense of this...
Quigley used the front axle from an “F” series truck, they convert that front end from 8X170 and drill front rotors to match the “E” series van rear that’s 8X6.5, one reason probably was to be able to reuse the van’s 16” wheels, SMB usually upsized the tire to a 285.
There was an option from SMB to add spacers to the rear to compensate for the “F” series wider front track, some are optioned with them, others not, but you can always add them.

https://www.wheeladapter.com

Just remember, if you have a Quigley, you’ll be looking at wheels with 8X6.5 bolt pattern, size is up to you, and not sure of backspace, but if you want to go with larger front brakes or a big brake kit, it is advised you go with a 17” wheel, if you go with new rotors up front, you’ll also have to get the rotors drilled out to 8X6.5 unless you want to convert things back to 8X170 at the same time. That way, parts are readily available off the shelf for your front end without modifying.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Just remember, if you have a Quigley, you’ll be looking at wheels with 8X6.5 bolt pattern, size is up to you, and not sure of backspace, but if you want to go with larger front brakes or a big brake kit, it is advised you go with a 17” wheel, if you go with new rotors up front, you’ll also have to get the rotors drilled out to 8X6.5 unless you want to convert things back to 8X170 at the same time. That way, parts are readily available off the shelf for your front end without modifying.
My Quigley came from the Quigley factory with 8X170 wheels all around. There were spacers on the rear axle to convert it to 8X170. Tires (straight from Quigley) were LT285/70R17 BF Goodrich All-Terrains. All this is on the Quigley build sheet.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Well I have an ‘03 Quigley, maybe I have things backwards or at some point Quigley switched things to use 8X170, all I know is I’ve got 8X6.5
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #8

Garage
The sterling 10.5 rear axle from an 05 fseries gave my quigley a nice square stance. Went with stock fseries front hubs instead of quigley so I could use off the shelf hubs and rotors. Got most of it done for the price of quigley replacement parts other than having to buy new wheels and tires, but planned on that anyway. So in my tiny part of the universe, it was all a wash, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
Why is the track in the rear narrower than the front? Just curious because I have a 2008 SMB Quigley 4x4 too. Looking for tires and wheels with a 5-wheel rotation plan as well.
The 2003 Econoline vans front track of ~ 69.4" and a rear track of 67.0"/ 138" wheelbase
The 2003 Excursions were 68.4 / and 68.1 respectively on a 137.1" wheelbase
The 2003 F250 68.3 / and 68.0 respectively

The 1997 F250 2WD had narrower rear axles than front. The 1997 F250 4wd front end was a TTB configuration and was very close to the same width as the rear. Perhaps this was so the front wheel and rear wheel tracks provided better traction,

As to why the van's rear axle is narrower I have heard the following:

To improve stability / Smaller turning radius / That is what was left over from the 1997 F Series stock and they wanted to use them up.

Interesting Note: The QuadVan (Portland, OR) used TTB conversions up through 2004 until they ran out of new parts to use. Being a Ford Certified upfitter they were required to use the existing Van parts plus all new parts in their 4x4 conversion. QV widened the front track when adapting the F250/Bronco TTB front end for installation into the E Series vans. I am guessing they were required to widen the track to match the original van 2WD track to achieve certification from Ford.

Agile on the other hand did not widen the track in their conversions and instead used the F250HD TTB stock track which matched the rear track of the van almost perfectly. Ramsey felt this was a great approach as the rear wheels followed in the same trough created by the front tires and there was no need for Bushwacker flares since the wheels filled out the stock wheel wells nicely.

For nearly any 4x4 conversion including Quigley - What creates visual disharmony is narrower rear axle / wheel combination when adding Bushwacker flares. The flares then make the rear tires look like they are tucked way in and accentuate the difference between the wider front track vs the rear track. Adding the 1.5 to 1.75" spacers to the rear is a solution to the visual and matching rear track with front track. But due to van build weight, typically the next mod is the incorporation of a full floater rear axle (if not already present) due to the leverage the spacers place on the semi float axle bearings.

Aluminess bumpers add to the visual disharmony if the Bushwacker's are not added. The Aluminess bumpers were clearly designed to accommodate the Bushwacker flares as evidenced by the relief cuts in the front bumper were it wraps around. The width of the rear bumper is nessitated by bthe wrp around bars. What then results is the bumpers look a bit too wide without the flares. The wrap around on the Reunel rear bumpers was much tighter to the van body and looked okay with or without the flares.

On our Agile TTB I broke down and added rear spacers to bring the tires out to fil the well. This was done after swapping the rear semi for a full float. The front track is now narrower than the rear track. I have not noticed any ill effects in handling or traction. I would , for visual purposes, like the front tires to be spaced out further but adding spacers to the front axles is not a good thing due to steering geometry plus it would lead to fenders mod since the tires would contact going to full lock.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #10

Just to add to this for the older vans out there. My 2000 Ford SMB with Quigley 4x4 has a 1986 Chevy K30 front D60 axle(verified by Quigley). It too is about 3" wider than my full float D60 stock rear axle. Therefore, I would need 1.5" spacers in the rear to even the front and rear track out. Similar to REF, I am 8x6.5 as well.