Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #11

Re: Ford Transit 4x4s on the lot.

The SMB West 4x4 Sprinter I looked a couple months ago in Fresno had BFG ATKO2's sized 265/70/17. That's the same size I run on my E350. They are listed at 31.6". I would prefer the next size larger, but those looked pretty good on the Sprinter.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
It may be 4x4 but it just doesn't appear to be an actual off road vehicle. Kind of like the all wheel drive SUVs that do better on snow and some mild rough roads.
I don't know if it was jage or GrumpyB, dave...(one of those sensi-knowledgable dudes) showed a great analogy about what to expect for off-roading in the 4x4 Sprinter, (which could count here) using pictures...being the visual learner, I found it quite helpful...I'll try to find the post...OK, found it! It was member Taptio on the 4x4 Sprinter Review Post...comparing the new 4x4 Sprinter to a "tripod,"...man I LOVE my ECONOLINE!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #13
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Looking more closely on that post, it was BajaSportsmobile that coined the Tripod label, while Tapatio provided the pics...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

Yes, you have to love those pictures with one wheel 3 feet off the ground.

Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
As comical as it may look, with properly working traction control, that's actually an OK state.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 PM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

OK is just almost good enough.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:43 AM   #17

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
As comical as it may look, with properly working traction control, that's actually an OK state.
Most articulated situations occur on inclines/declines. Holes get dug out from people spinning their tires. You want 4 wheels on the ground at all times. Bad things happen quickly, especially with top heavy vehicles.

Now this is comical...

Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #18

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

You can't design around stupid.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 PM   #19

So, I'm actually trying to understand this: If the weight distribution is not changed, and traction control takes care of traction, why would I care that the back wheel will articulate enough to be on the ground?

That Nissan in the video didn't roll over because the back wheel left the ground, it rolled because the front one dropped, and too much of the weight ended up around the axis of the other two, relatively level wheels. -- Perhaps that's it, I'm not thinking about the correct wheel. I don't need the back wheel to drop, I need the front wheel to drop without letting the body drop as much.

OK, that makes some sense. I don't really care about the back wheel, or the tripod, but it's a symptom that the body is rocking more than might be safe in some situations. (The situation in the picture is OK, but that's not really the point.)

I still think I'll end up with one of these unibodies one day, but it'll probably wait until workable lift kits are available.

(FWIW, for me off-roading is a by product of camping at sites that require rough roads or trails to access. I had a Montero for years before the van, but for the same reason. It's never been something I would claim as a hobby or even expertise in, it's just something I do from time to time. So I appreciate the opportunity to learn from some the folks here who have practiced it as a discipline. -- Thanks for making me think through this!)

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #20

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience

(FWIW, for me off-roading is a by product of camping at sites that require rough roads or trails to access. I had a Montero for years before the van, but for the same reason. It's never been something I would claim as a hobby or even expertise in, it's just something I do from time to time. So I appreciate the opportunity to learn from some the folks here who have practiced it as a discipline. -- Thanks for making me think through this!)
If camping in established campgrounds is what you do then a Transit or Sprinter is a perfect platform. Many of us bought SMB's so we could camp "off the beaten path". Many others bought 4X4 SMB's and never take them anywhere that required 4X4. To each is own.

One example:

In order to get here (Geologist Cabin - Death Valley National Park):

We climbed this obstacle in Goler Canyon:

Traveled 75 miles on grated dirt roads:

Went down Mengel Pass:

I would not recommend taking a 4X4 Transit/Sprinter on that trip.