Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #21

Re: Ford Transit 4x4s on the lot.

Two problems:

-traction control is great for slippery roads. Off road, you are burning lots of extra fuel fighting the brakes, which can also cause them to overheat to the point of failure (granted, usually only the rears are used for traction control, but o like having all my brakes work all the time)

-stiff suspension with a wheel up adds transient loads, which can cause instability or overturning. In additional, what're load that was on the freewheeling tire will now be on the adjacent tires. Plus some of the weight of the opposing corner, which will also be short on traction.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
FWIW, for me off-roading is a by product of camping at sites that require rough roads or trails to access.
That's exactly my position, although since I've only had 2WD to date (and only stock ground clearance), I haven't been able to get all the places I'd like to. I just basically want to get to uncrowded places to camp, and to be able to explore a bit. Vs. off-roading as the specific goal.

So, I'm keeping an eye on threads like this because I'd like my next rig to be able to do better in this respect. If something like a Transit would fill the bill, great. If not, that's good to know too.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
If camping in established campgrounds is what you do then a Transit or Sprinter is a perfect platform.
OK, then I should be fine.

Quote:
Many of us bought SMB's so we could camp "off the beaten path". Many others bought 4X4 SMB's and never take them anywhere that required 4X4. To each is own.
Well, what's an established camp site? I honestly think of a fire ring when I hear that term. And how beaten are these paths really? I try to stay off of trails that have obstacles for sport, but I do go see whatever I want to see. If something's down a tricky spur, I might hike or take my mountain bike. I'm not unaware that my van is _much_ larger and heavier than the average trail rig (regular tree/rock scraping drives that home).

Quote:
We climbed this obstacle in Goler Canyon:
That looks a lot like the trails I end up on. I certainly don't think I'd need big tires and 4 low for much less.

Quote:
Went down Mengel Pass:
Well, that's part of the route on a trip that's currently being planned. -- So we are talking about the same roads here.

Quote:
I would not recommend taking a 4X4 Transit/Sprinter on that trip.
We'll likely have two lifted Astros (one with, one without 4 low), my van and a capable/modified Landcruiser on this trip. We'll see how the Astros do, but with the other two vehicles I'm not really worried about getting them up the tricky bits, even if we have to improvise. I would like to think that I could do this with one of the modern vans with a lift as well, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience
FWIW, for me off-roading is a by product of camping at sites that require rough roads or trails to access.
That's exactly my position, although since I've only had 2WD to date (and only stock ground clearance), I haven't been able to get all the places I'd like to. I just basically want to get to uncrowded places to camp, and to be able to explore a bit. Vs. off-roading as the specific goal.
If you're out west, I can recommend the Trinity Alps for this. Well graded fire roads (should be trivial in a stock van, I did some in a performance volvo (awd, but low) one year, took moving the occasional rock or branch and was slow, but no issues. Over a 4th of July weekend we camped for 4 days and didn't see any signs of any other humans until we got back onto the highway. -- Almost spooky.

Quote:
So, I'm keeping an eye on threads like this because I'd like my next rig to be able to do better in this respect. If something like a Transit would fill the bill, great. If not, that's good to know too.
That's sort of what I'm trying to figure out here as well. My e-series is a 99 and I really wouldn't have a huge problem spending some money on something newer if I new what the really right thing was. I know I want a high-top next time, but I do like that that the body on frame, solid axles with 33 1/2 tires is a really well understood thing on trails. It's rare that I can't have a really quick discussion with a ranger, or a more hardcore off-roader I come across on the trail, and get good advice on where to go and where to stay out of.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #25

Thanks for the Trinity Alps recommendation - I'll look that up.

My E-350 is a '98, so I'm right there with you. It's fine for now, but I'm looking ahead and next time want more "back road ability." Given that the Transit etc. are obviously the wave of the future, I'm thinking about whether I move into one of those, or into a newer E-Series, or.... ? Like you, I prefer the fixed high top. I like it even better if it's factory sheet metal, so the high tops on the Transit etc. appeal. For now I'm watching/reading/enjoying my current rig. Threads like this are good reading.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote