Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #11

So I finally got to the bottom of the front brake issue. I ended up doing a full front rotor and pad replacement on the front. Now what I learned along the way is whats important and stuff we will see or come across ourselves more with the older Ford vans as stuff wears out. The front end used is the dynatrac on these and they used Ford factory front rotors and pads as others have said. Dynatrac themselves said the same thing, that they use Ford rotors and drilled them out for these front ends. The problem is that Ford is now discontinuing their Ford rotors and are using simple off the shelf aftermarket stuff. What I found was not all rotors are the same size. The ones I had on mine were in fact ever so slightly smaller....or the pads were slightly bigger. Either way what I ended up with was pads that as they wore down were actually over the top lip of the rotor. Caused all sorts of oddities with breaking. LOL So be extra diligent in what after market parts you choose, make sure everything is nice and happy before you assemble it. I can't tell you what combo I had on it before, but now Im running "Brake best select premium rotors" Part number 66476RGS and federal mogul brand brake pads. They seem to be a good fit assembled without having the pad outside of the rotors surface. Time will tell the longevity of the combo and the plus side was the rotors did not need the stud holes drilled out further. They were slightly bigger in all surfaces according to the spec sheets of the rotors I had to choose from! Unless you know of a place with new old stock on Ford rotors this seems to be the route we will have to go without getting into some sort of high end aftermarket race/off road type replacements.
Thanks for advice from every one! I do appreciate all the input!

Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #12

Thanks for all the front brake info, TraceyAZ. I have the same 2005 SMB E-350 (6.0 EB) and I 've worked with Steve at Dynatrac in the past fro my rotor and rear axle upgrade needs. Sounds interesting that the Ford rotors may not be available anymore. thx for the part number on the replacement rotors 9foudn em at O'Reily's on my first search. Do you have a part number for the Federal Mogul brand pads?

Thanks again for all the info you provided,
Steve
bebopsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopsteve View Post
Thanks for all the front brake info, TraceyAZ. I have the same 2005 SMB E-350 (6.0 EB) and I 've worked with Steve at Dynatrac in the past fro my rotor and rear axle upgrade needs. Sounds interesting that the Ford rotors may not be available anymore. thx for the part number on the replacement rotors 9foudn em at O'Reily's on my first search. Do you have a part number for the Federal Mogul brand pads?

Steve

Tracey sold his van so may not be frequenting the forum much. Not sure though if the rotor info is entirely accurate. You can still source dynatrac rotors from sportsmobile or dynatrac directly. https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/dy...-front-rotors/

Or, simply source a rotor for a 95-98 F-350 4x4 from and open up the holes slightly to 7/8". As for pads I've had great luck with Hawk LTS pads on stock rotors with none of the overlap issues described above. Rock Auto still has Motorcraft rotors. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=676&jsn=676

Guess maybe I should re-read the thread. Not sure what I'm missing here.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #14

Having similar situation with a 2005 Econoline that appears to be a Quigley 4x4 conversion, except that they have no record of ever doing any work on this van, despite the result looking exactly like a Quigley.

Anyone have any ideas on how to figure out which front brake rotors I would need if I only have a few hard-to-read numbers/markings on the axle to go off?
joshkean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopsteve View Post

Steve
For some reason I can't find the box they came in for the part number. I did get them through Oreilys and it was obvious that they actually fit when bolted on with the rotors. So if they happen to be wrong returning them shouldn't be a problem. Federal Mogul has always made some good products in my opinion.
Sorry for not seeing your post earlier, yes I did sell my van awhile ago but I do like to try and stay active on the forum when I can. Hope you got your brakes worked out.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkean View Post
Having similar situation with a 2005 Econoline that appears to be a Quigley 4x4 conversion, except that they have no record of ever doing any work on this van, despite the result looking exactly like a Quigley.

Anyone have any ideas on how to figure out which front brake rotors I would need if I only have a few hard-to-read numbers/markings on the axle to go off?
Sorry Im not real versed in anything quigley, I was always under the impression that Quigley was the only Ford authorized 4x4 available for the econoline vans. I would check with Ford first and go from there.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshkean View Post

post some pix of your conversion. axle, control arm setup, etc. members here will likely be able to id what setup you have and hopefully direct you from there. if its like my Quigley, I can tell you how to get away from their expensive custom parts so you can by off the shelf stuff at any parts store. theres catches of course, lol...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #18

My issue -2011 E350.Quigley- front brakes. I told my mechanic to go with 'what Quigley said', that is, to reference the F350 4x4 brakes. ( I do recall my 4x4 mechanic in PA saying I have the same front axle D60 as an F350).

4x4 Vans : Quigley Motor Company, Inc. > Technical Center > Ford E-Series Tech Center > Components

I also told him if I'm wrong he doesn't have to deduct the time I spent researching parts for him to install! (He seemed to have a sense of humor today unlike Friday or Monday....)
Old 07-31-2019, 01:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ View Post
Sorry Im not real versed in anything quigley, I was always under the impression that Quigley was the only Ford authorized 4x4 available for the econoline vans. I would check with Ford first and go from there.
QuadVan In Portland, OR is also Ford Certified for 4x4.

Re: Q having no record - there are cases where the Q setups have been transplanted from a wrecked van.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #20

Garage
4x4 info

This is info that came with my van. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
4x4 info.jpg  
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote