Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Front shocks External Bypass for coil spings suspension

If the front axle has coil springs (as it does Quigley), we have the obvious problem with the power shocks. For the shocks have very little space and turn it is also very small. In fact, we propose to hold a heavy solid axle the same shocks, which keep the suspension 4x2.

It seems logical that in this case, the system can be used with External Bypass, as was done for example Bilstein 9100.

I saw this solution in one forum member:

The problem is, that he used the Edelbrock 63205, which is now not performed, it is impossible buy.

Do esteemed colleagues experience the selection and use of similar decisions by Bilstein, etc.?

Producers shocks now have a lot of interesting decisions and choices, but it has a bad transcript size and installation... Shocks must have a progress about 12 "-20" and installation of as a stock E350.

Russian name road that place where are going to pass...
Mmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #2

Re: Front shocks External Bypass for coil spings suspension

You can get/make a conversion from "bolt on top" to "pin across top", but that takes up shock length space. For me the travel and overall install length were the limiting factors, not interference, as I have leaf springs (not Quigley).

Can you pull and measure your current shock to get length and travel?
Attached Thumbnails
shockpintop.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #3

Do you have a very different situation, different suspension and lift. In my case, conversion bolt / pin will increase the assortment of shocks, but also further reduce the size.

I have already mentioned the size of shocks: Collapsed Length - 12", Extended Length - 20" (or longer).

Given the degree of laziness Quigley, they used the stock shocks E350 4x2.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #4

Thats not an external bypass it's an external resevior. Big huge difference. Bypass is for big hits and you need a whole design around them. Shocks like you show only have valving like a regular shock and that cool can allows it to hold more oil so it will run cooler and stay more consistant over a long bumpy road. Funny thing is it's not that complicated to understand valving but 98 pecent of those that sell suspension kits or parts have no clue as to what the spring rate is or the valving. It's unbelivable that a dirtbike has 4 things to set or adjust on each end and a truck gets what somebody tells you will fit. Thats sad but sportsmobile deaver and Bilstein are a phone call away and one of them will give you the valving numbers and what they will do. Find that out and the cheapest bilstein they make in the right valving will out perform any shock you just put on for bling factor.

Edit: Sorry I just noticed that you are the Russian. Your roads are bumpy and the external resevior for cooling will help you way more than us in the more civilized free world. We put those on because they look cool but you could actually use them. Just make sure you get valving specs from Deaver or Sportsmobile or Bilstein before you buy them. And yes they are great shocks. It's a glorified standard shock and not a bypass shock. A bypass is like two or three shocks in one. As the shock gets deeper in the stroke the shock will bypass to a valve that is stiffer. Very expensive and very hard to order the right one for a particualar application. Don't go there unless you are racing.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

That's good advice but delivered in a rude and tactless way. As in "way more than us in the more civilized free world."

Regardless of how we view the rest of the world, the average Russian does NOT see himself as any less free and certainly no less civilized than the people of Western Europe and North America. The cold war has been over for 20 yrs; let it rest in peace.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

Russian roads are different from the U.S. about as American roads are different from German.

But where the ride SMB, the road is not exactly the best Russian. Therefore, we have similar conditions of travel (except highway course ...)

I agree that a proper discussion with shocks ext.resevior. I called ext.bypass, referring to the custom shoks and experience using it.

As for sayings about "civility", I guess that trolling and stupidity (and other social ills) - a problem in all countries and all the forums...

Old 02-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #7

I find the Edelbrock 63205 shock is still on the Edelbrock site and on eshocks.com

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh3.asp?Mod ... &SubChar=Q

It is listed for a lifted F150 4wd, stud on top, hoop and bushing on the bottom, 20" long, 7.6" travel.

You might also be able to contact Bilstein and ask if they have cross reference for that shock.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
That's good advice but delivered in a rude and tactless way. As in "way more than us in the more civilized free world."

Regardless of how we view the rest of the world, the average Russian does NOT see himself as any less free and certainly no less civilized than the people of Western Europe and North America. The cold war has been over for 20 yrs; let it rest in peace.
Trust me...He is a big boy and can take it. Did you read his Quiggly is very bad thread? You will see what I mean.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
I find the Edelbrock 63205 shock is still on the Edelbrock site and on eshocks.com
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh3.asp?Mod ... &SubChar=Q
It is listed for a lifted F150 4wd, stud on top, hoop and bushing on the bottom, 20" long, 7.6" travel.
I think so too. But unfortunately, attempts to order it with no success. Some seilers keep it in the shop window, but it is a virtual shop window...

Bilstein has no clear labeling and classification of its shocks (as was the Edelbrock). It has the size, but has no data on the installation. I do not understand yet. That is why he asked here.

I am currently talks with FOXracing, this is a good brand, but they do not have ready-made solutions for my case.

2Stumpalump: Ask Google to translate the word "mudak". Sorry, I can not solve this problem personally, I'm very far away.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

OK - he can take it. And I guess he can dish it out too. I'll just exit this conversation now... Adios and Dasvidaniya.