Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #1

FTE 4"x30" resonator on 4x4 E350?

When I am finishing the last part of the 4x4 conversion, I plan on doing my exhaust as well. I am going with the Diamond Eye 4" Turbo-back w/ muffler kit. I plan on running a FTE resonator as far forward in the system as possible (from what I've read this is just after the trans cross-member). The 4" FTE resonator comes in two lengths (I believe 17.5" and 30")

My Question- Has anyone ran into any clearance issues on a 4x4 7.3 van with running a 30" (or similar length) resonator fairly far ahead in the system?

I don't believe that there will be any clearance issues; however, it may be a few weeks until I can get the chance to get under and measure an already converted E350. I have read that it even the shorter one may be close enough to heat up the transmission housing, and in turn trans fluid, but I'll likely wrap up those close sections or fab up a heat shield.

Background- 1999 E350 Super Duty XL 7.3, Leader Type2 Ambulance build. Stock 7.3 running a Hypermax (Stage2 for around town, Stage1 for highway trips and overlanding). Rear: Dana60, 410, 3" block, 2" Add-a-leaf. Front: Dana Super60, 410, 6" lift (and firmer) springs. Still 2wd (still need transfer case, front driveshaft, and to convert trans and rear shaft). Wheels: 35" M/T's on 17" alum. A lot of Frankensteining for suspension, front brakes, and steering to get the ride right...Death wobble was a nightmare...remind me to post my story under the appropriate forum later.

TL//DR...I know, I tend to ramble...Anyone have any experience and issues with a long resonator on 4x4 converted 7.3 Econolines?

4x4Ambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

I have the FTE resonator installed on the Cummins swapped van I built. The exhaust was built with pieces of the Diamond Eye kit but it follows the same path of the typical Eseries exhaust. The front of the resonator sits roughly 4" forward of the trans cross member (which, for reference, is in the same position as the 4R100 cross member on the Eseries frame).
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #3

FYI the diamond eye muffler is not so great. But the kit is a great value, so what can you expect.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
FYI the diamond eye muffler is not so great. But the kit is a great value, so what can you expect.
Exactly... I forgot to mention that I used a different muffler. I was only referring to the mandrel bent sections.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I get that the Diamond Eye won't be the highest quality, particularly with the muffler, but am looking for the value at the moment.

I actually plan on running a 304 SS system in the near future (5 years or so), since I plan on moving up North to snow country. So I think in the mean time, I could deal with a crappy muffler until then.

When I build my SS exhaust, I plan on getting a new 30" FTE resonator, the Banks 4" free-flow muffler, might just use the 4" Aluminized downpipe I'll get from the Diamond Eye kit (unless I can find a decent SS one), and then buy the rest of the piping that I need (using the Diamond Eye kit as a template) individually in 304 tubing.

So for now, I'm budget oriented, and actually do not mind "wasting" money on a short term budget kit (since I'll be using that as my template later)...I just want to make sure I'm getting a good flow, while keeping it quiet as can be on a tighter budget. That why I figure getting the DE kit that comes with a muffler, and adding in the 30" FTE resonator would be my best option for now....based on the many forums I have read (most of which are fairly old now).
4x4Ambi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 conversion, e350, econoline, exhaust, powerstroke