Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #21

In addition to just using taller brackets like in the MGM kit, or adjusting the caster at the axle, there are also bolt on drop brackets.

Depending on how closely the existing brackets on a van match the ones on the f-series this could be a cost effective way of getting things really right.

(Leaf spring and traction beam setups are obviously totally different.)

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Clearly, I don't have enough going on to keep me occupied...

I was just contemplating the impact, on caster, of raising or lowering the rear of the van. Here's what I got:

The change in caster should be the arctangent of:
[the change in height at the rear axle/the wheelbase]

(This is because the tangent of an angle in a right triangle is the length of the side opposite the angle--in this case, the change in height--divided by the length of the side adjacent to the angle--in this case, the wheelbase.)

For example, for an increase of 1" at the rear axle, and a wheelbase of 138":

ARCTAN(1/138) = .415 degrees

Consequently, if I have my head on straight, then raising the rear of a van by 1" should increase the caster by .415 degrees, or nearly half a degree.

Similarly:
.5" height increase would increase caster by .208 degrees
.75" height increase would increase caster by .311 degrees
1" height increase would increase caster by .415 degrees
1.25" height increase would increase caster by .519 degrees
1.5" height increase would increase caster by .623 degrees
1.75" height increase would increase caster by .727 degrees
2" height increase would increase caster by .830 degrees

Which means that loading down the van and dropping the rear by similar amounts would cause the caster to decrease in the same manner.

Now, for the wiser heads in the group:
1. Do I have this right?
2. How much does it matter?

Thanks!
Hi!
Hey, I'm going to chime in here on both of your initial questions.

*The answer to the first question will be geometry-based......while the answer to the second will be yet another anecdotal and opinion-derived one (with plenty of reference and data points, however) --- to add to all the input here on this thread.

To question 1:

I read this whole thread, and I don't think it has been brought up (or corrected), but I do believe you have your calculation *backward*.

Raising the rear of the van will *decrease* positive caster, not increase it.

To start this explanation off best, I should point and and clarify for the point of discussion that modern cars and trucks (and motorcycles....and bicycles, etc) have what is referred to as positive caster, NOT negative caster. And positive caster is measured in the number of degrees that the imaginary line through the upper and lower steering ball joints is tipped *rearward* at the top (relative to a dead-vertical axis).)

This was the simplest/easiest-to-digest diagram of caster angle (positive and negative) that I could find on the interwebz this afternoon:

It's easier to see when looking at that diagram how raising the rear of the van would actually make that initial caster angle begin to "close down" and become *less* of an effective positive caster angle
(as it approached straight up and down vertical.....)

(Taking this further --- if you raised the rear of the van enough, eventually you could arrive at ZERO caster, which would not be an optimal arrangement for anything other than perhaps a shopping cart....)

At least that's how I read the tea leaves.

To question 2:

I've been through the wringer trying to get my recently-lifted 2WD van (6" Action Van lift, running 285/70R17 BFG KO2's) to drive properly. The steering has been super "squirrely", as you say. So I've gone through perhaps 3 separate alignment attempts, and on each attempt they've boosted the caster angle (which is done on the 2WD front ends using different eccentric sleeves that press into the upper ball-joint cradling location for the steering knuckle.)

We started out at under 3 degrees positive caster per side. Van was super darty-feeling...wanted to head its wheels nervously left-right when driving over even what seemed like perfectly-smooth pavement.

Next we upped it to somewhere between 3.5 and 4 (which the alignment shop techs declared was totally within Ford specs, as others have noted) -- and the van still drove identically sketchy.

So I did some digging --- and found the numerous RV forum discussions that others have found, where they swear that you won't see decent driving dynamics out of the wandering Ford front ends until you get up well over 5 or 5.5 degrees of positive caster. And they recommended the particular caster-adjustment sleeves (again, only for 2WD or TTB 4WD front ends, but the caster numbers should apply).

Additionally, I did some research with the guys that have experience with these lifted E-series vans....I called Larry at Action Van, and Jeremy at WeldTec and both guys seemed pretty consistent in their assertion that you really need around 6 degrees or more to make these drive right. (Echoing what Agile Off-Road specs their TTB front ends at, as well: 6 degrees.) Interestingly, Larry at Action-Van said "You can't have too much caster angle!" and said that even getting up near 7 degrees or more wouldn't do anything other than start to decrease turning radius.

(Incidentally --- Mercedes is famous for spec'ing TONS of caster on their sedan's front end suspensions. My '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8 has a copy of the Mercedes suspension, and has OEM caster specs that are around 10-11 degrees! High caster = high straight-line stability for high speed cruising. Autobahn geometry, in other words. Anyway --- back to the Ford vans....)

So---
I was sold on it at this point. Went ahead and picked up a set of those high-caster-angle-increasing adjustable sleeves and had the alignment shop bolt them in. We got caster WAY up. I think somewhere between 6 and 7 degrees or so. And you can DEFINITELY feel the difference.

Steering effort is a bit more, for sure, and the tires contact the suspension a bit sooner in tight turns than they would have otherwise (since they "lay over" as they turn, with the higher caster angle....(to picture what I'm talking about, think about what the front wheel on a crazy extreme chopper motorcycle (with perhaps 70 degrees of positive caster head-tube angle!) does when it turns, it basically just flops sideways) --- but I'm way happier.

Overall result: The van now tracks WAY better. It's not perfect, to be sure --- and I think some of the wander that's present now is due to the worn-out rear leaf springs (that have a helper spring sandwiched into them, to no avail) -- and what I think are worn-out rear shocks. It feels as if the rear of the van sways left/right and I'm sure that loads/unloads the tires weirdly and contributes to some steering nervousness. (*That's on deck to be corrected soon with some brand-new Fox 2.0 shocks all around, and custom long-travel rear leaf springs that Jeremy at Weld-Tec is crafting.)

ONE more thing:
A really good old-school truck alignment guy once told me that one of the biggest contributors to straight-line stability is the tires you run, as well. Tread patterns that have a lot of straight-line grooves, front-to-rear, like Semi trucks run, are going to track straightest. And the more randomized the pattern of your tire tread gets, the less the van will naturally "run true" as it rolls down the highway at speed. The knobbiest of tires are going to be squirrel-iest. So that's a factor again as well. Bad-ass-capable off-road tires won't be the most bad-ass-tracking on-road tires. But that's kind of common sense in retrospect.

The whole thing is a crazy symphony of parts and pieces that needs coordinating.....orchestrating....to really deliver a top-notch driving experience. Fine-tuning.......

So anyway, there ya go.....yet another lengthy caster ramble...
...hopefully it provides more data points for your overall algorithm.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hi!

Mike, fantastic post! Thank you so much--especially for catching my backwards caster thinking. Time for me to grab a piece of straw, do a little chewing, and a little more thinking as I consider all of your data points, as well as all of the great information posted by everyone else.

Thanks again-
Bianca
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:16 AM   #24
Wbp

Thanks to all posters on this thread. All this information is very interesting now I need figure out how to use it to help me dial in my rig. I have a 2" lift from Larry and it is just the perfect height for what I need but I get the wondering thing going on when running the highways. I did not install the rear blocks and plan on doing it soon, and after starting to read this thread I thought ok maybe that will help but now deeper into this conversation maybe I can narrow it down further to something like caster adjustments. Anyway keep the information coming. Thanks
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hi!

*The answer to the first question will be geometry-based......while the answer to the second will be yet another anecdotal and opinion-derived one (with plenty of reference and data points, however) --- to add to all the input here on this thread.

To question 1:

I read this whole thread, and I don't think it has been brought up (or corrected), but I do believe you have your calculation *backward*.

Raising the rear of the van will *decrease* positive caster, not increase it.

To start this explanation off best, I should point and and clarify for the point of discussion that modern cars and trucks (and motorcycles....and bicycles, etc) have what is referred to as positive caster, NOT negative caster. And positive caster is measured in the number of degrees that the imaginary line through the upper and lower steering ball joints is tipped *rearward* at the top (relative to a dead-vertical axis).)

This was the simplest/easiest-to-digest diagram of caster angle (positive and negative) that I could find on the interwebz this afternoon:

It's easier to see when looking at that diagram how raising the rear of the van would actually make that initial caster angle begin to "close down" and become *less* of an effective positive caster angle
(as it approached straight up and down vertical.....)

(Taking this further --- if you raised the rear of the van enough, eventually you could arrive at ZERO caster, which would not be an optimal arrangement for anything other than perhaps a shopping cart....)

At least that's how I read the tea leaves.

To question 2:

I've been through the wringer trying to get my recently-lifted 2WD van (6" Action Van lift, running 285/70R17 BFG KO2's) to drive properly. The steering has been super "squirrely", as you say. So I've gone through perhaps 3 separate alignment attempts, and on each attempt they've boosted the caster angle (which is done on the 2WD front ends using different eccentric sleeves that press into the upper ball-joint cradling location for the steering knuckle.)

We started out at under 3 degrees positive caster per side. Van was super darty-feeling...wanted to head its wheels nervously left-right when driving over even what seemed like perfectly-smooth pavement.

Next we upped it to somewhere between 3.5 and 4 (which the alignment shop techs declared was totally within Ford specs, as others have noted) -- and the van still drove identically sketchy.

So I did some digging --- and found the numerous RV forum discussions that others have found, where they swear that you won't see decent driving dynamics out of the wandering Ford front ends until you get up well over 5 or 5.5 degrees of positive caster. And they recommended the particular caster-adjustment sleeves (again, only for 2WD or TTB 4WD front ends, but the caster numbers should apply).

Additionally, I did some research with the guys that have experience with these lifted E-series vans....I called Larry at Action Van, and Jeremy at WeldTec and both guys seemed pretty consistent in their assertion that you really need around 6 degrees or more to make these drive right. (Echoing what Agile Off-Road specs their TTB front ends at, as well: 6 degrees.) Interestingly, Larry at Action-Van said "You can't have too much caster angle!" and said that even getting up near 7 degrees or more wouldn't do anything other than start to decrease turning radius.

(Incidentally --- Mercedes is famous for spec'ing TONS of caster on their sedan's front end suspensions. My '06 Dodge Magnum SRT8 has a copy of the Mercedes suspension, and has OEM caster specs that are around 10-11 degrees! High caster = high straight-line stability for high speed cruising. Autobahn geometry, in other words. Anyway --- back to the Ford vans....)

So---
I was sold on it at this point. Went ahead and picked up a set of those high-caster-angle-increasing adjustable sleeves and had the alignment shop bolt them in. We got caster WAY up. I think somewhere between 6 and 7 degrees or so. And you can DEFINITELY feel the difference.

Steering effort is a bit more, for sure, and the tires contact the suspension a bit sooner in tight turns than they would have otherwise (since they "lay over" as they turn, with the higher caster angle....(to picture what I'm talking about, think about what the front wheel on a crazy extreme chopper motorcycle (with perhaps 70 degrees of positive caster head-tube angle!) does when it turns, it basically just flops sideways) --- but I'm way happier.

Overall result: The van now tracks WAY better. It's not perfect, to be sure --- and I think some of the wander that's present now is due to the worn-out rear leaf springs (that have a helper spring sandwiched into them, to no avail) -- and what I think are worn-out rear shocks. It feels as if the rear of the van sways left/right and I'm sure that loads/unloads the tires weirdly and contributes to some steering nervousness. (*That's on deck to be corrected soon with some brand-new Fox 2.0 shocks all around, and custom long-travel rear leaf springs that Jeremy at Weld-Tec is crafting.)

ONE more thing:
A really good old-school truck alignment guy once told me that one of the biggest contributors to straight-line stability is the tires you run, as well. Tread patterns that have a lot of straight-line grooves, front-to-rear, like Semi trucks run, are going to track straightest. And the more randomized the pattern of your tire tread gets, the less the van will naturally "run true" as it rolls down the highway at speed. The knobbiest of tires are going to be squirrel-iest. So that's a factor again as well. Bad-ass-capable off-road tires won't be the most bad-ass-tracking on-road tires. But that's kind of common sense in retrospect.

The whole thing is a crazy symphony of parts and pieces that needs coordinating.....orchestrating....to really deliver a top-notch driving experience. Fine-tuning.......

Hey Mike,

New to the forum here. I just came across this thread and would like to thank for putting this out there. I have done extensive research to improve the steering on my van and this might me my savior. Current caster is about 4 degree and would like to push higher based on your experience.
I have a 1998 E350 with a 50TTB front end. You mentioned high caster sleeve to achieve the 7 degree caster. Would you mind sharing which sleeve one did you used.
Many thanks from Canada
VanDiesel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:07 PM   #26

Garage
One other thing that's brought up in this equation is the front diff angle. It is affected by caster changes. Squirrely steering is bad but when you add driveline vibration its mayhem. I was able to get to 6.6 degrees or so caster and still barely have enough angle to keep the front driveline in the right angle. Clocking the axle tubes was starting to be a discussion. I did not know about these eccentric adjusters for the balljoints. I have dynatrac ball joints and I'm not clear how they would go in with a sleeve in there.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:18 PM   #27

True! And I think going that far forward might create other issues like you mentioned.
If I can get my caster between 5 and 6 degree I will take it as a win ��
Old 11-17-2023, 08:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiesel73 View Post
Hey Mike,

New to the forum here. I just came across this thread and would like to thank for putting this out there. I have done extensive research to improve the steering on my van and this might me my savior. Current caster is about 4 degree and would like to push higher based on your experience.
I have a 1998 E350 with a 50TTB front end. You mentioned high caster sleeve to achieve the 7 degree caster. Would you mind sharing which sleeve one did you used.
Many thanks from Canada
We lost Mike a few years ago. He was a solid lad.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...mer-27952.html
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 09:02 AM   #29

Oh Dang, I'm sorry to hear Mike passed away...
Old 11-19-2023, 10:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Thanks, guys. This has been a really useful read for me. Has anyone experienced wheel chatter or wheel hop with higher degrees of caster?
While making experiments with different high at the frame mount of the radius arms i also tested with caster more than 10°. Than you see easy that the front of the van is rising up and down while turning the steering wheel but under driving conditions i cant feel any difference to the ~5° caster i go now. Maybe a little more restoring torque in slow sharp turns. I drive with 37th and have a selvemade hydro assist steering system. So i think without that hydro assist the restoring torque will be more and, the more caster you have the harder it will get to turn the steering wheel in parking lots.
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote