Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Gas engines: V-8 or V-10? Pros and Cons....

I'm still considering a 4x4 SMB (Ford E-350 EB) but am wondering about the engine....

Assuming that I want to stick w/ the gasoline engine (not diesel), and keeping in mind that my SMB will be a daily driver to/from work, and I'm not planning on doing any MAJOR off-road 4x4 driving (like you guys on the West Coast)....

I also won't be towing anything right away, but in the future I'd like to be able to tow one of those lighter-weight pop-up travel trailers, just as extra sleeping/storage space for when my three kids join us on a camping trip.

So the $1,000,000 question:

What's the better choice: the V-8 or the V-10??

And, what do you guys/gals have, and why'd you choose what you did?

Thanks.

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Hi Dave,
We had the same question before ordering our EB 350 4x4 SMB. We and other forum members thought that the V8 will be under-powered in the long run. For the MPG, the smaller V8 might require more gas to compensate for the extra weight. Hope this helps!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

I agree with surfgeek...our V-10 is running at what seems like a fast idle at 55 mph...no strain on the engine. I think that the V-8 would be over-powered most of the time...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #4

Garage
V10 - no question.

Especially if you have any sort of hilly terrain the V8 will be way underpowered w/ the 4x4 and conversion weight.

We've been incredibly happy w/ our V10 and especially now that the price of diesel is 4.29 or so localy....

-d
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #5

Dave,

When we got our 2005 SMB 4x4, I believe Alan at SMB West told us they wouldn't do their 4x4 conversion on a V-8. The V-10 is a great motor having a ton of power, super quiet, decent mileage for this size vehicle, and comes with the same tranny as the diesel engine which has the "grade braking". This saves your brakes like you wouldn't believe.

Marc
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
BC

If you were going 2WD and not loading it up, V8 might be ok. But 4WD? Appointed with even a basic 50 design with a few accessories + gear? Go V10. Its a torque monster, almost as good as the diesel, but the grunt comes at a higher RPM. Sure its thirsty, but smooth, reliable, quiet, and plenty strong.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #7

Planning to tow?

Go for the V10.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #8

I have owned a V8 5.4 Quigley RB 50 since 2001 and driven it for 60,000 miles. Traveling through much of the US and several parts of Mexico, it has never felt underpowered (family of four, lots of luggage, four bicycles, roof rack with roof box, solar panels, winch). With 4.11 gears and 285 BFGs I get about 13 mpg at 75 mph. Mileage in the city is of course worse, but the V10s are quite a bit worse yet in that situation.

Larry Yates at Quigley called me up before I ordered the van and told me that I was making the mistake of my life, but if you do the math, this rig really works. I have towed a 3000-4000 lbs U-Haul trailer from the East Coast to Texas without problems. A fairly boxy 5000 lbs camping trailer was still okay but less fun especially in strong head wind situations (I also had six passengers in the van, with an extra seat), but for such a setup a diesel is better anyway, especially if you care about the mileage.

Regards,

Joerg
sportsmobile3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #9

V8 experience

Hey, can't compare because I don't own a V10 but I've got a V8 w/ 4X4, fully camperized and often carrying 2,000 pounds of sporting gear etc on long trips. Fully loaded she weighs in very heavy. 70mph on the interstates is about 13mpg, maybe a little better on the slower freeways in Mex. In the city she's a pig - I don't even think I get 10mpg. Power is definetely not an issue. Good kick to pass and I will always be limited by traction or clearance while off-raod - never by power. I"ve driven V10 F350 4X4s in forestry and they were very limited by lack of range compared to the V8s of which the rest of our fleet was comprised.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
GTRV Conversion
cranny is offline   Reply With Quote