Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #11

Arctictraveller: What's the capacity of your tank? I'm assuming that yours is similar to mine since we both have Advanced 4x4 conversions.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Arctictraveller: What's the capacity of your tank? I'm assuming that yours is similar to mine since we both have Advanced 4x4 conversions.
I really have no idea, I've never run it empty. I think I once put in about 26 or 28 gallons, but I'm not sure, so I carry three 5 gallon jerry cans for extended expeditions. Ramsey always said you loose about 5 or so gallons when you use a transfer case spacer, but I think it's a bit more.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
GWB

Fuel Tank

Advanced did my conversion but we bought a 35.5 gal tank from UJoint Offroad. Fit beautifully. Chris was very helpful conversing with installer to ensure it would work before purchasing.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #14

I have an 07 E350EB with Advanced conversion. Most gas I've ever pumped in it with the light on was around 27 gallons. I'm pretty sure they did not cut my tank down.
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #15

I have a 2010 E-350 with a Quiggly conversion. My tank is 25 gallons. I took it to agile for their rip kit upgrade. They have a 40 gal fuel tank upgrade. They told me that they can’t install it because I have a V10 engine. If I had a V8 it would be no problem. So according to agile it is the combination of the Quiggly and the V10 that makes their tank not fit.
Skipperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #16

Good to know, just got home from visiting family so I will try to take a photo of my tank but its currently pouring rain for the next week and I don't have any covered parking.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:14 PM   #17

I think its the fact that its a gas engine and not a diesel. Most tank conversions are diesel only for some reason. Could be a CARB thing or Fed thing. My '05 E350 had a 23 gallon tank from Quigley and I added a 40 gallon unit from Aero Tanks in SoCal. I believe that is who Agile uses or at least used to use.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #18

I'm almost positive that the typical cut down on a Quigley is 4 gallons, making the 35 gallon tank 31. Of course, the tank is just cut straight off at the nose a few inches so it could mess with the fuel guage calibration and not read correctly.

To anyone who has a Quigley Ford (I can't speak for the other 4wd converters) I do know that sometimes the modified tanks don't vent the same, or correctly, so you have to slowly top the tank off after the pump cuts off the first time. You will for sure get more in the tank this way.

Also, Ford fuel gauges will show full for a long time before they start to drop from full so following this logic you may not be getting your tank completely full and it's still reading full when the pump clicks off the first time. Try the slow top off method. It has worked for me on many Fords.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #19

Interesting you mention this, my fuel gauge lagged a few times when I pumping in hot weather. I wonder if this could be due to the venting issue you mentioned? Although my vehicle has Quigley badges the conversion was done by Farmbro in Canada who was authorized by Quigley. I even have Quigley and Farmbro paperwork about the conversion so maybe they did something a little different.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I'm almost positive that the typical cut down on a Quigley is 4 gallons, making the 35 gallon tank 31. Of course, the tank is just cut straight off at the nose a few inches so it could mess with the fuel guage calibration and not read correctly.

^I believe that's about right with my 2007. But then I've never run it empty. Most I've ever put in it at one time is 27 gallons and the fuel gauge was still halfway between the E and 1/4.

To anyone who has a Quigley Ford (I can't speak for the other 4wd converters) I do know that sometimes the modified tanks don't vent the same, or correctly, so you have to slowly top the tank off after the pump cuts off the first time. You will for sure get more in the tank this way.

^This doesn't work that way on mine. When the nozzle clicks off the first time that's pretty much it. I can get very little extra fuel in there by repeatedly working the nozzle. Some years back I did have a problem wherein I could barely fuel the van because the nozzle kept clicking off even though the tank was nowhere near full. Turned out the charcoal canister breather for the tank was completely - and I mean completely! - plugged with dirt. (The van spends the majority of its time on dirt roads.) I had to change it out and then I made sure to never have that problem again by connecting a hose to the outlet of the canister and running it up to the front of the van where it is out of the dust kicked up by the tires.

Also, Ford fuel gauges will show full for a long time before they start to drop from full so following this logic you may not be getting your tank completely full and it's still reading full when the pump clicks off the first time. Try the slow top off method. It has worked for me on many Fords.
^All my Fords have been that way EXCEPT for my van. This is the only Ford I've owned that the gauge starts dropping off the full mark as soon as I start driving. 50 miles after having filled the tank, the guage will be halfway between the full and 3/4 mark. But by the time it gets down around half a tank, the rate of decline of the gauge slows considerably and the accuracy seems pretty good.