Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Gasoline tank capacity

I thought we bought a 46 gal extended range tank, but it seems more like 36. Is it possible that the float level was never recalibrated. Still get the low fuel message when running low Is there a lot unusable in the tank?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: Gasoline tank capacity

Good question. I have a new SMB and would like also to know.
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #3

As installed, the Ford venting system causes foam to shut off the fuel filling with about 10 gallons to go on the 46 gallon tank. When used on a stock Ford tank, it still keeps about 4 gallons above the fuel for expansion.

I understood that SMB used an alternate venting that took care of this problem. Maybe they no longer do this?

When the fuel level hits the bottom of the vent tube in the tank foam will rush up the vent tube and stop the fuel filler. Unless you fill vvvveeeerrrrrrryyyyy slowly. It took 40 minutes to get the last 10 gallons in when I tried that stupid, stubborn trick.

Later I did this:

Drop the tank, remove the fuel pump/sending unit. Locate the metal vent tube that drops down about 4" into the tank. Drill or cut a hole high up on that vent tube. This will allow air to vent higher up in the tank and allow filling to near the top. My hole is about 1" down and it keeps about 4 Gallons of space above the fuel for expansion, same as stock. Reinstall etc.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #4

I have the same foam fill issue, although I haven't fixed it. I get about 36 gallons in the 48 tank. Different gas stations fill differently- some are impossible to get that trickle, others are a breeze. Normally I just stop when the foam starts hitting, but on a long leg or before heading out in the desert I'll fill it to the brim- and the only way to know for sure is to see the diesel in the neck. About 1 in 3 times doing this I'll flood diesel out the vent tube before stopping the trickle, which is the other reason I don't do it very often.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

The lowest I have had my fuel gauge read is 1/8. I put 38 gallons in that day. ($112) Never really had the foaming or fill-up problem others have reported. Even had the nozzle fail to shut off one time.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #6

I've told this before, but the lowest I've had mine was ...brrupppt.... brruuuppppt.... brruuuuppt... the diesel starts to stall when you're running out. I suspect it's a computer trick to make you stop before you absolutely run it dry. In my defense, I was told by SMB that I had 8-10 gallons past E, when I asked why I was getting less than capacity at the pump. BZZZT.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

We have the "46" gallon Transfer flow tank as of '05 (for diesel, unsure if there is a different gasoline model?). Once we put a hole in the top of the internal vent tube I was able to fill the completely empty tank with ~55 gal till the fuel was visible in the fill tube and did not go down.

-e
Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbadger
We have the "46" gallon Transfer flow tank as of '05 (for diesel, unsure if there is a different gasoline model?). Once we put a hole in the top of the internal vent tube I was able to fill the completely empty tank with ~55 gal till the fuel was visible in the fill tube and did not go down.

-e
Was there any issues with doing this? Where did you put the hole and what size?
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #9

You have to drop the fuel tank, take out the fuel pump module, locate the vent tube and then put a hole (drill, dremel or?) about 1" from the top and reinstall everything.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote