Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #1

Smile Getting all started

Hey everybody,

I'm all new and fresh in this forum and I need some help. Half a year ago I decided to save up to buy an E350 after finishing university and travel the world a bit (Until I run out of money = hopefully 3-4 years after I started my journey), before starting to work. Since than I also tried to figure out what I need and how to plan the whole process (I'm from Germany). As there still is plenty of time until I'll finish studying I wanted to wait with this post, but corona hits me as well giving me a lot of free time. And therefore I can't stop thinking about this dream.

So the first and most important question to get any help is: What do I want and what do I need it for? So actually I wasn't looking for the E350 in the first place. I was looking for a 4x4 to go rock climbing, do deep river crossings, getting all muddy and all the other fun stuff. First I was thinking about a 4x4 with rooftoptent... but living 3-4 years in a rooftoptent? Maybe if you stay only in sunny places, but not if you want to go on adventures all over the world.
Next idea: 4x4 with big trunks. Defender, Landcruiser etc. But living in a car means, you carry quiet a bit of stuff with ya and that also means aditional weight, reducing the offroad capability.
So in the end I found the E350, being the best compromise between space, power and off-road capability (correct me if there is something better). So although I'm going to travel far distances, the most important thing for me is to maximise the ability to go anywhere (whilst not freezing in winter).

So what did I plan so far/what did I think about: I'll be looking to buy a unconverted V10 or diesel. I'll do the interior myself, making sure the center of gravity is as low as possible. And those are actually the only things I'm sure about.
And now the things I still do not have the right answeres for:
Who does the best conversion for going seriously off-road? Do I need to go to different conversion guys to get the best results?
What kind of lift kit? - Big wheelbase means you need a higher ground clearance to get over some obsticles, but higher ground cleareance also means higher center of gravity and you don't want to fall over.
Talking about the center of gravity: Does it get effectet wether I got a poptop or hightop? (I'm 1,95m, living full-time in a van, that's some luxury I need)
Short or long version? In certain angles you don't want to have a big butt, but the extra space is something you can always need. Yet the off-road capability is more important to me. So is there a big difference?
For a good protection from dead trees and cactus I thought about painting it in raptor bed liner. Good idea or better not?
What about other conversion vans like GMC?
What else do I need to consider if it comes to the off-road ability?
And is the E-350 really what I'm looking for or is there something that better suits my needs?

I hope I did not ask to many questions, which were already answered in another thread. If so, pls just put the link to them in your answer. It's the first time I'm using a forum and I'm not very good in finding the stuff I'm looking for. And pls don't be to hard about my english language skills, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks in advance

P.s. the budget I hope for will be about 100K for the van in total, ~ 90k without interior.

Rettich151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #2

Garage
Rettich151, Wow, and Wow - Sounds like your all in for adventure! When the journey comes to an end, you'll certainly have some fun memories - Welcome!

You've set aside a generous budget, and sounds like you're anxious to get yourself exposed to some technical thrills. SO, the first question I'd ask (before offering any advise) has to do with your offroad/4x4 skills... do you have any experience?
Old 05-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #3

I am sure your english is better than my german.

Need some information: is it just 1 person? Only you? That makes things a bit easier. I would get a high top because then you can stand up all the time inside. If it is raining or snowing, you can stand up inside. With a E350, the long version is best. The big butt won't be too bad if you have a lift.

You have a very large budget, which will make things easier. However, what I would do is buy the van already built as close as you can to what you want. Then make small changes. If you buy a van empty, 2x4 without a high top, you will end up spending a lot of time and money. A 4x4 conversion can take 2-4 weeks. Where will you live while you wait for it to finish?

You could buy this van: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ded-25800.html

and then you would be $40k under budget and have a van that has everything you need right now. If you wanted to change it, you could.

There are 3-4 main 4x4 conversion companies: u-joint offroad (North Carolina), agile off road (southern California), Quigley (Indiana?) and sportsmobile. Other companies do it, but these are the most common. They are different systems. I would say Agile is the most comfortable on road and might be the most capable off road. Ujoint is also excellent. Both cost about $20k. The other systems are good, but not as customizable.

If your budget and time allow, you can go to agile offroad and they will build you a system that will take you almost anywhere. Look at doitlikedewey on instagram. He has a custom agile system and he off roads hard.

GMC/Chevy have 4x4 available and they ride better on road, but they are not as capable off road.

I wouldn't worry about center of gravity too much. The van is going to be very tall, but most of the weight will be down low. All the vans feel tippy.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #4

@ Twoxentrix

I was traveling Australia with a Toyota 4Runner doing some technical tracks. Next year I'll study one semester abroad in Australia. After this semester I'll stay for a couple of months to do some tracks in the Kimberlys or Cape York. I hope to find a Landcruiser in good shape. Due to the current EUR/AUD exchange rate I'll be able to look with a good budget.

So yes I do have experience and it will be even moren when I'm ready to buy the van.

@Grampswrx:

For now it is just me but you never know how life plays out. There are still a couple of years and if I find the right girl... you never know.

For the time of the conversation I thought about hiking for a couple of weeks. As I didn't know how long a conversation takes, I even thought about doing the Pacific Crest Trail, if the conversation takes a few months. For converting the interior I wanted to stay at an air b&b and do it in their drive way. Had some good experiences with air b&b and I'm sure there will be someone who allowes me to do this.

I thought it might be cheaper to buy an unconverted, because it's easyer to customize. Just adding the parts I need. If I buy a converted I would pay for the parts, which need to be exchanged. But easyer doesn't always equals cheaper, thats true. I guess I'll need to look what's available on the market anyway.

I know about ujoint and actually already follow doitlikedewey on instagram. But he got a short one and looking at some of his pics, it seems to be better this way
But I'll defenitly do some research about agile!

And I like to hear the thing about the hightop, standing up right would be great!

Thanks for the fast answers guys!
Old 05-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #5

I'd recommend the V10 over the diesel options in the E series. Much more reliable, especially if you get an 05/newer that has the fabulous 5R110. If you calculate the overall ownership costs of the gas vs diesel gas is always cheaper. Added reliability seals the deal for me.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:59 PM   #6

Garage
Rettich151, Since you have experience under your belt and plan on really taking advantage of the 4x4 aspect then know these rigs do not drive like the 4Runner, but that does not make them any less capable...just need get acquainted & understand the boundaries. There are many Forum Members here that have/do often challenge the limits of their Van with great success.

Some food for thought to help perspective:
I would suggest "EB" just for the added space since you plan on spending a lot of time in it.
As far as Pop Top or high Top: Pop Top takes me less than 90 seconds to put up, so its really not a burden. The only time I've ever had a concern was with high winds - again, 90 seconds to lower.

If you truly plan on high water: make sure you've accounted for whats mounted low and/or underneath the van (Air compressor, Winch, etc - some dont react well to being under water). Also vent kit's for differentials, transmission, and transfer case.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

@ Chris:

Thank you for your expertise, I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking for a van!

@ Twoxentrix:

I guess I'm not as familiar with this forum as you are. Do you have any links to the threats where I can read or see more of those members you talked about? Sounds interesting to me!

And I'm sure there are several pros and cons for both pop and high top. The only thing I was worried about was the they would affect the center of gravity in any point.

The last advise will be really helpfull, but I guess that will be something I'll be able to discuss with Chris from Ujoint or with angile. Depending on who I decide to work with when the time comes.
But surely something I should not forgett about.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #8

Garage
Browse through some of the Trip Reports, you'll see a number of names that continually pop up as they share their journey's;
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f17/

Too bad you're not currently looking for a Van, this once seems to be made for you - can finish building out the interior to accommodate your needs, rest seems to be in place.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...4x4-25322.html
Old 05-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #9

I wish I could haha
Gread rig! But there are still a few tough years of working and studying between me and the big adventure

Tags
center of gravity, conversion, lift kit, newbie, rockclimbing