Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Goodyear Dura Trac ?

Anyone using the Goodyear Dura Trac tire? If so what do you think?
I am not a Goodyear fan but I have talked to a few people who have just purchased these tires and they love them.
I am wondering about road noise as they wear and longevity?
I am due a new set of tires and have been using Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and Firestone Destination A/T's for years with great results but I would like something a little more aggressive.
Thanks
Jim

4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Goodyear Dura Trac ?

never been a big gy fan either, but those tires got my attention when i was looking for tires a few years ago, but i ended up going with the toyo at2. a good buddy of mine bought a set for his ram right about that same time. i asked him about them recently and he has every intention on replacing them with the same tire again. he loves'em. said hes got really good wear so far, and said they have great winter traction.

theres a few members on here with them as well, but only one i can think of is member mkryan.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

I have 35" Duratracs on my rig. I've got 22k on them with a 5 tire rotation every 3,000 miles. Tread depth is maybe 1/2 or a little less. If I get to 35K I'd be stoked but 30K on a 2 ton 4x4 lifted van is pretty decent. MTs won't last nearly that long. The BFGs wear pretty good too though.

They have a bit more noise at lower speeds on pavement than the BFGs I had on there previously. I don't notice it much at hwy speed but then of course I'm sitting on top of a diesel. This might be debatable but I think the BFGs have better sidewall puncture resistance as well. The Duratrac has much better hookup in the snow. I'm looking at the newer style BFG for my next set but after reading this review I'm interested in the Cooper Discoverer A/T3. http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-r ... -the-road/
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

Thanks shenrie I will PM MKryan.
I did a search and only found nomadcat that was still active on forum.
I did not realize the tires have been out that long. I do not know how I missed them! All the feedback I have gotten has been Positive.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
They have a bit more noise at lower speeds on pavement than the BFGs I had on there previously. I don't notice it much at hwy speed but then of course I'm sitting on top of a diesel. This might be debatable but I think the BFGs have better sidewall puncture resistance as well. The Duratrac has much better hookup in the snow.
Hey Joe
Were your previous BFGs M/Ts or A/Ts ? The road noise is my biggest concern.
Also have you had sidewall failure? The reason I stopped using BFG was due to sidewall failure. That being said it was 10 plus years ago
Thanks
Jim
Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I just put them on a few months ago after running 2 sets of 285 Toyo M/T's, was looking for a replacement tire that was better in the snow, better on road manners that would still be tough for off road use. I compared the most popular A/T's-Toyo, the new BFG A/T 2, Cooper, Nitto, Goodyear... the goodyears are winter snowflake rated, all season and all terrain, they are also the most aggressive tread design of the bunch and look great on the rig, more of a hybrid A/T-M/T. Keep in mind the sidewall issues people have posted up with the Duratrac's are mostly with "C" rated 2 ply sidewall tires, mostly jeepers running them on 15's and rock crawling or mud bogging, the "E" rated load range tires have 3 ply sidewall's and are much tougher and what I would stick with on our rigs. So far I really like them, they have great on road manners, track well and are relatively quiet, I had them in the snow a few times and they gripped well, they have a bunch of tread sipes, I haven't been off road with them yet other than gravel roads. I'm noticing more and more trucks running them now vs. typically mostly seeing BFG A/T's. [emoji106]
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
They have a bit more noise at lower speeds on pavement than the BFGs I had on there previously. I don't notice it much at hwy speed but then of course I'm sitting on top of a diesel. This might be debatable but I think the BFGs have better sidewall puncture resistance as well. The Duratrac has much better hookup in the snow.
Hey Joe
Were your previous BFGs M/Ts or A/Ts ? The road noise is my biggest concern.
Also have you had sidewall failure? The reason I stopped using BFG was due to sidewall failure. That being said it was 10 plus years ago
Thanks
Jim
I ran two sets of the BFG A/Ts but, one D rated and the 2nd E rated. I never had a sidewall failure but there were lots of reports of failures with the D-rated tires. There's quite a few threads on this forum with tales of BFG woe.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

Garage

Having run the E Rated Duratracs (33's) on my former DD (F150 SCrew 4x4) I loved how they did in the snow but the overall mileage and wear was less than ideal. Were closed to roached in 30k. Buddy w/ a 2500 Suburban w/ the big 8.1L pretty much mirrored the same wear issues.

Went w/ the Toyo AT2's (E rated gets 50k tread warranty too). They don't look as aggro as the Duratracs but they're definitely quieter and I've had no complaints in the winter or the sand/desert.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback.
Reading thru these made me realize that I am very happy with my Revo a/t's other than mud and I realize anything that will do better in mud will be louder so there's the rub.
90% of my driving is on road but the 10% off-road is 90% of the fun. My off-road is very limited but one of our favorite spots at the river gets muddy often. The Revo's do not clean well and that is the only reason I am considering another tire. The Dura Trac looked like a good compromise.
Sidewall durability is my number one concern. Due to the long wheelbase of my van I catch a lot of curbs and have had no issues with Revo's.

I think I am going to try a set unless I find someone who has had issues with E-rated sidewall failure.
Thanks
Jim
Old 05-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

Garage

Jim,

I just posted to your PM. Good tire, road noise is average, but as JoeH said, not really noticeable due to the diesel, which I also have. Mine only have about 10,000 miles so can't comment on the wear just yet, other than appears normal. I like them on the snowy and icy roads.

I'd buy them again.

Mike