Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
I will only provide my personal experience, but the full rear leaf packs are worth it for every e-series van across the board. I am running a custom set of Weldtec leafs on my van and it is remarkably smooth, not just on the road, but even in very heavy and fast offroad conditions. I am running much larger custom tuned shocks and under 20 psi offroad, but it is very comfortable. Street handling and manners are pretty good. It is not a quigley but I don't see any reason why that assembly couldn't be made much better with some similar suspension components. I am also a firm believer in large tires as they are the cheapest and easiest suspension enhancement available (as long as the supporting components can handle them).

Scott
I was hoping you would chime in Scott, thanks. Any chance you could give me a break down of components you recommend, where to source them and approximate cost?

I figured If I could have a similar setup to yours our ride would be quite comfortable. Feel free to DM me if you like.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
Depending on the budget for suspension, you may wish to consider an airbag suspension or a coil-over suspension.
These options won't be cheap since the brackets and parts will be custom, but it might be cheaper than a newer van.

If you're looking for comfort, I would find something that isn't based on a metal coil spring or metal leaf spring.
Having ridden in a coil spring vehicle vs. a coil-over vehicle, the difference is noticeable.
Although it is not a direct cross-over to a van, here are some articles that might help:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/s...ems-excursion/
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/th...nstall.132837/

It might be worthwhile to talk with a desert racing shop or similar. They typically have extensive experience creating and tuning suspensions to run incredibly smooth.

The more the suspension is able to absorb bumps, instead of transferring the energy into the frame+body, the more comfortable the ride.

We just removed an air-bag passenger seat base to install a swivel seat base...these do work to cushion the ride.
Thanks, something to think about. Unfortunately I live no where near a desert and with the border still closed until Aug 21, I won't be able to head stateside anytime soon.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
It is not a quigley but I don't see any reason why that assembly couldn't be made much better with some similar suspension components.
Scott
Unfortunately, you'd have to lift a stock Quigley about 8 more inches to get the same bump travel you have....
Old 07-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Thanks David, I've actually never dropped to that low of a PSI before. What speed to you normally operate at 20-25 PSI?

I usually run 50 Front/55 Rear on highway. When we do FSR's and logging trails I usually drop down to 40-35.
Depending you your axle weights, you can probably do slow highway speeds still for reasonable distances (basically, until your tires start getting hot), as long as you remember that handling will be greatly diminished.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Unfortunately, you'd have to lift a stock Quigley about 8 more inches to get the same bump travel you have....
I'm trying to spec out new shocks to go with my new lift. Droop is easy to figure, but how to determine full bump travel prior to actually mounting a pair of shocks, short of removing all but one leaf spring.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Thanks, something to think about. Unfortunately I live no where near a desert and with the border still closed until Aug 21, I won't be able to head stateside anytime soon.
I don't know if you have met John over on Vancouver island, but he might be willing to help you fabricate any needed parts should you need brackets or something. You could also call some of the suspension shops down South to discuss your desired modifications, and cross border shipping is still available. I'd be happy to help, but were currently in two different worlds. I hope you and the Mrs stay well.....................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #27

Have you looked into a GM van with a Quigley conversion? The ride should be much smoother than a solid axle front end like the Fords use.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #28

I did 11-leaf deaver springs all around, but the SMB 4x4 is already all leaf springs. I did it to avoid bottoming out, which made the ride rougher than necessary and ruined a few trips when I hit something like worse-than-they-looked railroad tracks on a highway. They not only improved clearance (no more bottoming out) but were much smoother due to being 11-leaf and not heavy duty. The front end is the problem, not only are you sitting over the axle but it's probably bottoming out.

Regardless I'd get onboard air and try airing down as soon as you're off pavement- like the minute you can travel at 35-mph and below, go ahead and drop your tires and when you hit the rough stuff (washboard) go ahead and drop them lower. For me that means 40-45psi off pavement and 25-30 in sand or rough conditions. Even if you only take 20psi off what you run on the highway it will really smooth out the smaller bumps and improve the ride. It doesn't do anything for bottoming out, but if it's a lot of little jarring that ruins things it could really help.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #29

I have a typical SMB 4x4 from 2013 and have never been happy with handling on or off road. I'm taking my van into Agile in September to have them do some work which I am hoping will improve the ride.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Have you looked into a GM van with a Quigley conversion? The ride should be much smoother than a solid axle front end like the Fords use.
It would have to be 15 years old or factory conversion in order for me to import it. I've seen newer ones from time to time in Canada but they are fairly rare.