Finally got around to repacking the front wheel bearings. Thanks again to Eric Badger for his comprehensive instructions. Much easier than I expected, plus I learned how the hub locks work. They really didn't need packing after 36k miles--the grease was clean and the bearings like new, but I'm glad I did it so I can repair them on the trail if necessary. With that in mind, I put together a wheel bearing kit to carry in the rig for just such an occurrence:
The kit includes: new packed wheel bearings, seal, six point socket, deep socket for lugs and brake caliper, snap-ring pliers, grease and a rag. I carry a breaker bar and a jack stand with me, so I think it would be an easy job to change the bearing in the middle of nowhere if necessary.
The bearings were fine, but the brakes needed some attention. They've been feeling increasingly wooden recently and the reason was obvious when I removed the rotors. Heavy glazing from high temperature had turned the rotors into black mirrors. I took them to a local shop and they put a non-directional pattern on them to remove the glazing. They didn't need to be turned, and the pads just needed a scuffing to remove the glazing on them. Huge difference after the pads bedded in.