Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Help! 30 spline vs 35 spline outer axle shafts

So...looking at installing the Dynatrac free spin hub kit to eliminate the unit bearings, the kit usually comes with 35 spline outers and they can re-drill the hubs for my 8X6.5
Here's my dilemma, I jumped the gun not too long ago and replaced my warn standard hubs with warn premium locking hubs in the 30 spline not thinking I would be doing this kit. Talked with dynatrac, they said they could build me a kit with 30 spline outers so that I could use these new warns I got vs having to buy another set of hubs. Q- How much am I giving up by going with the 30 spline vs. the 35 spline outer? He said that SMB was ordering axles from them with 30 spline outers to save a bit of $, so I guess it's good enough...or should I eat it and get the 35 spline?

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

Re: Help! 30 spline vs 35 spline outer axle shafts

The 30 spline will be fine unless you go really big on the tires or drive like a lunatic off road.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
REF

Re: Help! 30 spline vs 35 spline outer axle shafts

Yes, thanks for that, prob would be fine but I've decided to go with their kit as they build it with the 35 spline. I figured I would be kicking myself down the road if I didn't.
I will be posting for sale, but I'll put it here too. Both for Dana 60
Warn standard hubs/30 spline-$100
Warn premium hubs/30 spline(brand new, just installed)-$225
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 12-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

REF, are you happy with the dynatrac free-spin kit? I'm slowly assembling the parts for the big brake upgrade to 14" rotors but it appears I have a similar decision to make.

Logic tells me that with the torque of the diesel and 35" tires I should replace the 30 spline outers. It's the weak link but I haven't heard of anyone breaking an axle stub on a sportsmobile. I can't think of a con except expense and if I replace it then with my full float swap I have 1.5" 35 spline through out.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

I don't think that the 30 spline stubs are really a problem in a SMB application, but it will definitely be cheaper to go to 35 spline at the same time as you install a free-spin kit vs after the fact. After switching to 35 spline stubs, you'll never look back and wish you had stayed with the 30's. You might be surprised comparing a 30 spline D60 stub to a 19 spline D44 stub, they are practically the same size (though the D60 has a MUCH bigger U-joint.) On the same note, although I like Warn hubs in a D44, there are better options out there when stepping up to a D60. Even the old D70 (35 spline) Spicer's hold up much better. I also blew out 2 pairs of 35 spline Mile Marker hubs on one of my trucks in less than a year and it was much lighter than a SMB and on 37"s... Make your weak link a part that is easy to change in the field, hubs are waaaaayyyyy easier to change trailside than stubs! The first time you here that loud bang and start sliding backwards, you'll wish you'd just gone bigger from the start. If you ponied up for the Dynatrac locking hubs too, you'd be golden.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Good info, thanks! I'm mulling over the DynaLoc Locking Hubs but that's another $300 or $400 over the cost of Warn Premiums. 35 spline axle stubs are $119 ea.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

For $300 more, I'd go straight to the Dynatrac's. It will cost nearly $600 to buy them after you make an aluminum paste out of the inside of the Warn's.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Good info, thanks! I'm mulling over the DynaLoc Locking Hubs but that's another $300 or $400 over the cost of Warn Premiums. 35 spline axle stubs are $119 ea.
I have the dynaloc hubs on my ujoint 6" kit win stage 2 RSC axle. Generally I've been happy with them. Although two days ago I locked my hubs, pulled out of the driveway and heard one side whir and grind as it didn't lock. Look and Youtube and it was a common issue with some older parts that they supposedly changed. I stopped, unlocked and locked them again and haven't had it happen since. Hopefully just a fluke.

I figured it was worth upgrading vs warns, hopefully time proves me right and I don't have to disassemble and replace parts with these.
Brianjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
...I haven't heard of anyone breaking an axle stub on a sportsmobile...
Do have large tires (37), don't think I was driving like a nut (though poor judgement was arguably involved), became expensive fast.

-e
Attached Thumbnails
brokenStub.jpg  
Old 04-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
REF

Help! 30 spline vs 35 spline outer axle shafts

Doh!!.....looks like it’s time for a front end upgrade to 35 spline!
And what to be exact was your poor judgment that caused this to happen?
CCV High Profile Pop Top