Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Help me decide weather or not to convert my SMB to 4x4

Hello everybody,

Newish member here. I recently bought a 1997 Ford E-250 EB SMB poptop. The van is in great shape for its age and only has 90k miles on it. The van is super clean inside and all the appliances work well. its got a sink, stove, fridge, heater, rear a/c, microwave, water heater, and generator.

The exterior is in good condition too. Plus, it has a 4inch lift from action van suspension, 33" BFG K02s and cool black HD rims, aluminess side ladder, thule roof rack (2 bars), and a killer rear storage box that mounts into the trailer hitch

All and all i'm into this van for $25k right now. I am interested in converting it to 4wd and am interested in either a UJOR or Agile Offroad conversion.

I'm wondering if you guys think its worth converting a SMB of this age to 4x4. I am talking purely from a monetary standpoint. I am estimating around another $10-15k to go 4x4.

I have already spent more than I wanted to on this van and could only consider converting it to 4x4 if I could get a good amount of money out of it when I sell it. I plan to keep it for around 5 years, or until the odometer hits 150k (which ever happens first). I don't expect the condition of the van to deteriorate during the time I own it. It will most likely improve

By that point it would be a 25 year old van and from what i've seen (on craigslist and such), these vans do lose their value when they get that old/high mileage.

What are your opinions on this matter? (please no "it only depends on what its worth to you" responses. Its only worth it to me if I can get some of my money out of it)

MRR918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #2

Here's some pictures of the old girl...

Old 03-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

What is being 2WD stopping you from doing currently?

Have you considered simply putting in a locking rear differential?
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #4

A 4x4 conversion will be $15k, and your van might be worth $40k when done.

But since you got a lift already I'd buy a Harbor Freight winch and a decent rear locker and you'll get 90% of the places you would in 4x4. And it will only cost you a couple grand.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #5

its a 5.4L V8 Gas by the way
Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

P.S. And maybe lose the fiberglass running boards before you break them off when offroading!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #7

Sounds like a nice van.

You sound like you are over thinking the situation. Talk to rallypanam about profiting from converting to 4*4 and selling. It can be done but you will not be using the van just flipping it. Not much margin I am guessing. It is still just a van. Not a rare Porsche or Ferrari.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyyy View Post
What is being 2WD stopping you from doing currently?
I want to be able to get it through the sand in Baja, CA desert, Pismo beach and through the snow in the mountains.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
P.S. And maybe lose the fiberglass running boards before you break them off when offroading!
Those are first on the list to be removed. They are already breaking.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
A 4x4 conversion will be $15k, and your van might be worth $40k when done.

But since you got a lift already I'd buy a Harbor Freight winch and a decent rear locker and you'll get 90% of the places you would in 4x4. And it will only cost you a couple grand.
I love this advice From our Forum Winch Meister!

There seems to be new trend but I don't think the ROI on adding 4x4 is similar to ROI of adding say a new kitchen on a house you want to sell. No disrespect intended.

Tags
4wd, 4x4, aftermarket, conversion