Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Help with Quigley van valuation

I could use some help with real-world valuation of a van I’m looking at possibly buying. Rough specs are below. The seller and I are fairly far apart on what we each think it’s worth. In short, it’s a high roof Quigley cargo van set up as a work van. Pluses are low mileage V10, 4x4, high roof. Minuses are it needs a lot of updating since it has sat for a while and because it’s a work van cargo cabinets need removed, etc.

-2004 Ford Quigley EB cargo van (no RIP kit installed). Essentially it’s a cargo van with a high roof
-V10 with about 40k miles
-35” tires, probably need to be replaced due to age and tread depth
-Steel Road Armor bumpers front/rear, with tire swing out. GC, but need to be removed, blasted, and repainted/coated due to some surface rust
-Needs new shock absorbers, possibly some other front end freshening (I’d probably add the RIP kit)
-Installed high top (Voyager style) with carpeted side walls and ceiling.
-No installed windows other than OEM side/rear doors (none open)
-Interior built out as a work van with very basic, utilitarian type home-made cabinets. They really add no value, and are in fact a liability in my eyes because basically the interior needs to be gutted and little could be saved.
-110v AC lines run inside with outside plug connector, but again a home brew that needs to be removed or significantly upgraded to be up to RVIA-type code (ex: they used a large residential circuit breaker box, etc.)
-12v setup inside with two batteries (need replacement), inverter/charger. Seems to be professionally done and ok.
-Front winch
-On-board air compressor, no tank
-East Coast van, but fairly rust free. Just normal light surface scaling on frame and some components.

Thoughts on value as it sits now, needing updating? And final value once it’s freshened up?

I’d ultimately like to build it out as a camper...

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #2

Garage
What are the Blue Book numbers?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Team

$20k - $25k ??
Old 01-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
What are the Blue Book numbers?

That's not how this works.

OP, there was a similar van for sale here a few weeks ago. Gutted 4x4 with high top. Are you using that for comparison?
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #5

Garage
https://cars.trovit.com/used-cars/quigley-4x4-ford-van

Something like this?
Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #6

My van life price gauge puts it somewhere around what Herb said, $20-25K. Location can cause prices to vary quite a bit though.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:39 PM   #7

Garage
So the 04 van, V10 w/ 40k around $6k.
What's the high top cost installed?
What's the Quigley package worth?
It sounds like a lot of whats in the van is a liability not an asset.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

Help with Quigley van valuation

Yeah, it's hard to value, that's the issue. KBB.com price for the base van is: for GC trade $5,100-$6,200 |for private party $6,000-$7,600. Add in the cost of a high top and Quigley 4x4, accessories, etc. I took the same depreciation amount (~23% of original van MSRP) against the original cost of the high top and Quigley installs, which comes out to around $12k. That's obviously low, though. In 2004 a Quigley install cost $8395 and a Voyager top from SMB cost $5000.

If it was fully gone through, all the small (and larger) things sorted, interior cleared out and a blank slate for a build, and a ready to go van, I'd guess it could be worth maybe $25-30k. I was thinking around $16-18k as-is, given the low miles and additional accessories, but they want a whole lot more than that based on some advice they have gotten from people who have not looked at it in person.

Just trying to give myself a reality check. It needs some actual mechanical updating, as well as a good bit of sweat equity in tearing out the interior, removing and reinstalling and painting the bumpers, etc.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #9

Garage
Looking to get into another Van? This seems to be a very reasonable price & really like the 4 chair layout (no affiliation, but at least it's on our side of the pond if you have interest in taking a look)
Mileage isn't specified - but did send an inquiry...we'll see if they respond

https://usclassifieds4all.com/details.php?id=9353
Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Looking to get into another Van? This seems to be a very reasonable price & really like the 4 chair layout (no affiliation, but at least it's on our side of the pond if you have interest in taking a look)
Mileage isn't specified - but did send an inquiry...we'll see if they respond

https://usclassifieds4all.com/details.php?id=9353

I saw that one too. Seems under-priced, especially if it has the BulletProof EGR cooler and Bulletproof Oil cooler in it.

Herb