Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #1

How to deal with a heavy driver side

The way my Econoline ambulance is setup, almost all the the heavy equipment is on the drivers side. I have an external door with storage, external battery compartment, wiring, and all the cabinets on the drivers side. The passenger side is basically bare. All of this stuff can’t be moved. I installed Moog CC880S coils in the front and it brought it from .75 in lower to .5 in lower. I have a 7.3 diesel which is not at all light. Drivers front is currently .5 in lower, and the rear is 1 in lower than the passengers.

As I build it out, I’m going to put water storage and cooler as far to the passenger rear as I can, but it’s not going to be nearly enough to offset the weight.

I’m looking at having the rear leafs redone as they are pretty tired. Is it ideal to get them sprung heavier on the drivers side to help compensate for the weight? Probably going to do rear airbags as well. I have no idea what to do up front. I can feel that the drivers front is heavier when I’m driving. It almost like it pushes any action in the suspension towards the drivers front. I’m already running the heaviest coils I can. What are my options?

TCNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
How to deal with a heavy driver side

Properly valved shocks will help all around. Check with Agile for a set of Fox shocks that might work.
As for the rear springs, yes, spring companies like Deaver or Alcan will compensate for weight on each side if told.
Find a local truck scale, landscape yard or waste disposal yard with a scale and get weights at each corner, loaded with your normal gear and water if possible. Measure from the ground what your ideal ride height should be to the pinch weld(or preferred location from spring co). Take into consideration load and that the front moog coils will settle a bit, but not much. I’d almost say overcompensate the height a bit in the rear(go 1”-2” higher?) to account for heavier loads and settling.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #3

I agree. Make the compensation at the rear. Both at the spring pack (additional low-rate leaf would be fine) AND on the rear tire pressure.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Get a fat passenger.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Get a fat passenger.
Thanks, I didn't want to be the first.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Bronco...lolololol...TC, I have inflatable bags in rear that adjust separately. That way I can adjust when I have full water tank (on drivers side, plus I am 50 lbs heavier than KTG) or when I need a bit of leveling help when parked. I know they make bags that are twice the height (capable) of my current setup...just a thought
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Bronco...lolololol...TC, I have inflatable bags in rear that adjust separately. That way I can adjust when I have full water tank (on drivers side, plus I am 50 lbs heavier than KTG) or when I need a bit of leveling help when parked. I know they make bags that are twice the height (capable) of my current setup...just a thought
Bags are going to happen for sure after I get my rear leafs redone. I want to use them more to maintain level when loaded, and not compensate for tired springs. This rig used to have auto chains installed, so I have on board air plumbed to hydraulic valves right above the rear axle. I could adjust the bags without ever leaving the cab

What bag setup are you running?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #8

Garage
Air Bags certainly help in a number of ways, I use the Firestone Ride-Rite...with dash controlled dual switch/dual needle system - Convenient & Works great!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #9

Talked to a company about 3 hours away that specializes in leaf/coil springs. I’m going to drop it off and have the rear pack replaced so I can achieve the rear lift without a block. He’s also going to modify or replace the 880s to balance the front and lift it about an inch. The shop has a good rep, so hopefully I’ll leave there with some balance in my life
Old 10-27-2020, 03:09 AM   #10
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Air Bags certainly help in a number of ways, I use the Firestone Ride-Rite...with dash controlled dual switch/dual needle system - Convenient & Works great!
"What 2X said"...Much more accurate with model, name, gauge etc...sorry for the laziness! lol
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote