Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

Garage
How to level out the rear of my Quigley?

I finally got around to installing the Moog CC880S front springs in my van today and I love them! A little stiffer than the stock ones, a little higher, but WAY more clearance between the bumpstops and the progressive rate is nice.

That said, I need to level off the rear of my van and I don't want to rely on the airbags for it.

Currently my E350 has the stock springs and 3.5" blocks (installed by Quigley I'm assuming).

The Moog springs lifted the front by 1-1/4". I'd like to lift the back by the same or even a hair more so it sits level when loaded. Probably 1-1/2" - 2" would be ideal.

I've called a local spring shop to see what they can do for me but they have quite a backlog right now and are booking for 2 months in advance... and I have a few small trips planned in the meantime.

So I'm considering an Add A Leaf of some sort (because I can get one in stock, locally hopefully and install it this week) but I'm not sure what to get.

Do the F-Series truck Add A Leafs fit our vans? They're both 3" wide so I don't see any reason they wouldn't. But do they lift a van the same amount that they'd lift a truck? Would a 2" F-Series AAL lift my van by 2" or is it just gonna be a random crapshoot to get something that works?

If the F-Series should work, is there a particular generation of truck I should be looking for? Like a mid 90's or a mid 00?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Re: How to level out the rear of my Quigley?

I tried the add a leaf, and it seemed to stiffen up the rear a lot. Lots of bouncing over even the smallest bumps. I ended up using a larger lift block until I could get new rear leaf spring from Ujoint, 6 inch rear leaf springs. Still have the 5-5 1/2 inch block sitting in the garage.
primitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

Instead of an "add-a-leaf", I used an F350 salvage yard spring pair to use for donor leafs, and added them to my stock springs. They work great, and the pair of used springs only cost $50.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

I did something similar to my Quigley front end. For the rear, I went with Deaver leaf springs tailored for my van based on it's measured weight on each axle. It cost more than an add-a-leaf solution, but the result is awesome. It set the ride height, and the ride feel is excellent. Good small bump compliance with good handling on dirt and paved roads. IMHO - You can't go wrong with Deaver leafs on a heavy lifted van.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
MtnVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:36 AM   #5

I went from 94 e250 "F" code springs 2300lb to 95 "S" code e350 springs 2700lbs and got some lift. Close to 1". Almost leveled out my rv after the cc880s springs .The F code springs were pretty worn out from sitting under a heavy RV for most of there life.

Here is a chart that shows some of the differences.

I know your situation is different since you are 4x4. You might try looking at 2004 F350 spring packs I have a set that would have been good for a lifted E350 but wouldn't work in my situation. I think they were almost 8" from the spring mounts to the axle pad.

jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Went with Deavers as well, prior to getting the RIP kit, both were a huge improvement. They will tell you to park the van on level ground, get measurements front and rear from the ground to the pinch weld, and add the difference to the rear to make it sit level. The new coils up front didn't add any height to mine as I already had an uprated HD spring up there. Getting rid of those blocks and getting a proper spring pack back there is the way to go. Deavers, Ujoint or Agile have options I believe. Or find a local spring co., but the others have experience with our setups. Good luck
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

We had the local spring shop add a leaf to the rear of our Quigley. It raised the back a little over an inch and leveled it out nicely. Cost about $400 back in 2010.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

I went with the Roadmaster Active suspension and they work great, but I'm going to switch to Deavers, I'll sell you my setup for 250.00, 300.00 shipped. PM if you're interested.

Cheers,
C.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote