Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

How to loosen Quigley/Ford Coil Spring

I have an early Quigley with the square tubes and the higher shock mount.
I bought Super spring 880s and some Bilstein 5100 shocks [which NOT fit, as I have the high mount nobody has ever reported before].

I tried to loosen the big screw - but I was not happy.

I have read that after lowering the axle, disconnecting the sway bar, before that disconnecting the bumper and the shock - you can get to the screw via looong socket.

I thought this would be easy going. Of course in Germany you cannot get a lift that can support > 3 tons (3000kg). Therefore this stupid way. Anyway...

From what I have seen, this screw is holden by a nut that is welded into the Quigley part on the Dana 60 itself, isnt´t it?
I "think" it is a roughly 30 mm Screw head - but not exactly. Via extension, as you see above, I fitted a ratchet with a 2 yard extension. It just bend
So I quid -because it was one of these days when something else will go extremely wrong if you move on ...
So I thought: better think twice.

I cannot be the only one with that issue. This is threaded in since 25 years. I used chemical stuff before of course.
If I cut the coils I will have easy access - if I screw up - I will be f***d!
Which size of nut do I have to use? 28 mm is too small, 30 mm too wide, 29 mm? Is it imperial? A Strange size.

Has anyone destroyed the screw in welded a new nut in? Would this make sense?

derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #2

Rather than cutting the coils, you could maybe use a spring compressor?

https://www.amazon.com/AMPRO-T70570-.../dp/B00A8FNRDY
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

I know spring compressors, extremely dangerous. But mostly that does not directly solve the problem itself, the extremely tight screw.
I will have better access with an impact gun, though. Not sure if this would be enough clearance though. Plus, these are HEAVY springs.

anyone expedience with undoing these coils....?
Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Garage
no offence, but the broken English is a little confusing to me, so please forgive if my answer isn't exactly what your after.

you removed the clip on the spring and that's all I had to do other than remove that bolt off the bottom of the shock on my 2003 Quigley. to me it appears that all you would need to do is pry the bottom of the shock off that post and the axle should drop onto your floor jack. then spring would just need a little help with a pry bar if anything is needed at all. we had to use one to get the moog springs back in, but it was very little effort.

before ramsey passed he instructed me to make a relief cut in front of the top nut of the shock to make them easier to rnr. I did that and it made it much easier. when I get done with my meeting, ill try to dr up the pic with where to make the cut. iirc, it was mostly for the drivers side. iirc I didn't need to make the cut on the passenger side, but this was quite a few years ago.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
no offence, but the broken English is a little confusing to me, so please forgive if my answer isn't exactly what your after.

you removed the clip on the spring and that's all I had to do other than remove that bolt off the bottom of the shock on my 2003 Quigley. to me it appears that all you would need to do is pry the bottom of the shock off that post and the axle should drop onto your floor jack. then spring would just need a little help with a pry bar if anything is needed at all. we had to use one to get the moog springs back in, but it was very little effort.

before ramsey passed he instructed me to make a relief cut in front of the top nut of the shock to make them easier to rnr. I did that and it made it much easier. when I get done with my meeting, ill try to dr up the pic with where to make the cut. iirc, it was mostly for the drivers side. iirc I didn't need to make the cut on the passenger side, but this was quite a few years ago.
The coil is held in via a bold and a big washer into the axle /quigley mount. That bold seems to be heavily rusted.
That's the problem, otherwise I could get tge coil out.

I ve seen how Ramsey made access to the top mount of the shock. German "TüV" wouldn't like that. Anyway, there's not the main issue.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #6

If it’s heavily rusted and isn’t reusable, is torching it off an option?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Heating it red hot will quite likely loosen it up. A little propane torch probably won't get it hot enough though, Mapp gas might, but Oxy / acetylene most certainly will.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Heating it red hot will quite likely loosen it up. A little propane torch probably won't get it hot enough though, Mapp gas might, but Oxy / acetylene most certainly will.
That´s what I thought as well - but didn´t had the hardware to do that so far [and the motivation ].
There is a rubber piece between the washer and the coil - this will be meld. What is that, does anyone have a part # for that?

These little parts can be a hassle to purchase in GER.

See this, #16, #17, #18
Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #9

http://www.derjackistweg.de/wp-conte...92_Seite_2.jpg
Old 03-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by derJack View Post

These little parts can be a hassle to purchase in GER.
In the event you need parts more readily available here in the USA than Germany I'd be more than happy to purchase and ship them to you for nothing more than the actual costs.

Feel free to PM me should this be useful or necessary.

Best of luck with your project here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil spring, quigley