Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 01:25 PM   #1

Hubcentric Rings

Hello everyone,

Didn't see any threads/posts about this specific topic when searching, so here goes...

I will be using Method 701 wheels on my UJOR 4x4 build. It looks like the stock Econoline hub bore is 123.9mm, whereas the Methods are 130.81mm.
  • If I wanted to order some custom hub-centric rings, are there guidelines on how to size the ID/OD? I'm assuming the stock 123.9mm refers to the ID of the OEM wheels, so I would want 123.9mm ID for the rings as well. But since the Method wheels have a 130.81mm bore, I assume I'd want the rings to have an OD slightly smaller... 130.7mm?
  • Any trusted sources for custom hub-centric rings?
  • Anybody here running lug-centric wheels? Seems like some sources say hub-centric rings are needed, others say they're not.
  • Based on my understanding of bolted joints, the studs should not be supporting any of the weight of the vehicle, assuming the lug nuts are tightened properly. The studs/lug nuts serve to clamp the surfaces together, and the clamp force + friction are what prevent the wheel from moving relative to the hub. So the hub-centric rings would only serve to align the wheel before it gets clamped down.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 10:19 AM   #2

Got confirmation from UJOR CO that the rings are for alignment purposes only and that they do not take any load once the wheels are bolted up. Sounds like he's had good experience with the Method 701's centering up with the lug nuts alone.

Maybe i'll have some custom rings machined at some point down the road, but for now I'm crossing this off my very lengthy list of things to overthink and worry about.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:00 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
If you're in the market for custom wheel spacers or rings try these guys: https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html

Admittedly I don't know squat whether not utilizing the hub-centric feature is a smart idea but it just doesn't seem right letting the wheel studs alone support the wheels IF the vehicle is/was designed to be hub-centric.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
If you're in the market for custom wheel spacers or rings try these guys: https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html

Admittedly I don't know squat whether not utilizing the hub-centric feature is a smart idea but it just doesn't seem right letting the wheel studs alone support the wheels IF the vehicle is/was designed to be hub-centric.

Thanks for the lead on the custom rings!

I'll see if I can put my thoughts to words (spoiler alert - I often can't!), but here's how I'm thinking of the issue. Unless the wheel-to-hub interface is a press fit or slip fit, i.e. extremely tight tolerance, there is only going to be one point of contact between the ID of the wheel and the OD of the hub. In the case of the OEM hub diameter, I guess the wheel would have an ID of 123.9mm and the hub would be slightly undersized, maybe 123 or 123.5mm? I have no idea.

When the vehicle is at rest, for the hub-centric feature to support the weight of the vehicle, the hub would have to be offset towards the bottom of the ID of the wheel. Picture the weight of the vehicle pushing the hubs down, so the hub is not perfectly concentric with the ID of the wheel.

Now when the vehicle is moving, if we wanted the hub-centric feature to constantly be supporting the weight of the vehicle, the wheel would be moving relative to the hub so that the hub is always offset towards the bottom of the ID of the wheel. But because the lug nuts clamp the wheel against the hub, the wheel does not move relative to the hub. So even if you have a hub-centric design, the wheel is not going to be perfectly supported by the hub-centric feature throughout the full rotation range.

Well that was a wall of text. That's just how I'm thinking of the issue - I'm always open to hearing different points of view!
Old 03-10-2022, 05:00 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
^^^ Without offense you're over-thinking all this. In the hub-centric design vehicle weight is borne more by the wheel-to-axle interface, wheel studs and lug nuts function reduced to clamping the wheel to the hub or axle.

We've been using the hub-centric wheels and axles for quite a few years so far, no major design failures in actual use that I'm aware.

For a component as important as a wheel and how it fits onto the chassis I'm not so bold or brave to begin experimenting with ideas that have not found their way into more common or frequent use.

Good luck with your project---will be interested in its outcome.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #6

Quote:
^^^ Without offense you're over-thinking all this.
Well ain't that the truth This is true of basically anything I do... and then once I finally do whatever is I've been over-thinking, I forget all about it and find the next little thing to obsess over.

Quote:
In the hub-centric design vehicle weight is borne more by the wheel-to-axle interface, wheel studs and lug nuts function reduced to clamping the wheel to the hub or axle.

We've been using the hub-centric wheels and axles for quite a few years so far, no major design failures in actual use that I'm aware.

For a component as important as a wheel and how it fits onto the chassis I'm not so bold or brave to begin experimenting with ideas that have not found their way into more common or frequent use.

Good luck with your project---will be interested in its outcome.
To be clear, I am in no way saying that the hub-centric wheels are prone to failure. But also, the lug-centric wheel design is not necessarily an "uncommon" design, as far as I know.

So with that being said, I appreciate your input and totally understand if you don't want to continue this discussion! But (mostly) for my benefit, and in the off chance that it may help others on this forum, I'll go through the trouble of drawing up some highly sophisticated diagrams to better convey my thoughts. I would love if JWA and/or others would want to chime in on this topic, but I'm happy to keep blabbing on here by myself as well

I'll start this off by saying this is all predicated on the assumption that the ID of the wheel must be slightly larger than the OD of the lip on the hub ("hub-centric feature").

[1] In a perfect world, when the wheel (yellow) is bolted to the hub (blue), the ID of the wheel would be perfectly concentric with the hub, as shown below:

[2] However, as mentioned above, the ID of the wheel is slightly larger than the OD of the hub lip. So, when the vehicle is up on the lift and the wheel is bolted on, the wheel actually settles onto the hub slightly off-center, since gravity pulls the wheel downward:

When the lug nuts are tightened, they clamp the wheel against the hub and prevent their relative motion. This is a bolted joint where the bolts (or in this case, studs and lug nuts) are loaded in shear. From the wiki link:
"For the shear joint, a proper clamping force on the joint components prevents relative motion of those components and the fretting wear of those that could result in the development of fatigue cracks."

[3] Now we add a marker line on the top of the wheel so we can visualize its rotation:

At this point, let's say the vehicle is lowered onto the ground and the weight of the vehicle is resting on the wheels. In order for the hub lip (blue) to be supporting the weight of the vehicle, it would have to be touching the bottom of the wheel ID. But since the wheel was clamped against the hub by the lug nuts, it can't move relative to the hub.

[4] Now let's say the vehicle rolls forward enough to rotate the wheel 180 degrees. Now the hub lip (blue) is touching the bottom of the wheel ID and I suppose could be supporting the weight of the vehicle. But this condition does not hold true throughout the full rotation of the wheel.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:18 AM   #7

https://www.machinedesign.com/fasten...centric-wheels
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Awesome, thanks for linking that article. Well I suppose that guy should know he's talking about, eh?

"Charles C. Roberts, Jr., Ph.D., P.E., is an engineering consultant in the areas of accident reconstruction, failure analysis, structural analysis, heat transfer, fire origin analysis, computer analysis, mechanics, and biomechanics."

The main takeaway from the linked article:
"Substituting a lug-centric wheel in place of a hub-centric wheel can decrease reliability, especially in high wheel-loading and impact- loading environments."
Old 03-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Just to add to the confusion:
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/hub-rings

"On the other hand, if you’re installing aftermarket wheels, you can use wheel centering rings to ensure a perfect bond and minimize the chance of higher speed vibrations. This is not required, however."
Old 03-10-2022, 09:57 AM   #10

Last I checked, a conical seat lug nug is going to pull everything on center, hubcentric ring or not... provided you run them down (2 opposing lugs works for me) gently first and don't just gun them down. It's just a wedge, and wedges work!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote