Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Garage
I Can't find the big tires I want for my '07 SMB.

I'm just finding out now, after my last tire change about 3.5 years ago, that the current available choices for 315-75-R16 tires has significantly diminished. I'm not wanting to start a tire popularity contest here. I've been with BFG A/T KO's for a long time on many vehicles and that's my first choice. But, BFG dropped this tire size from their line sometime recently and I can't find any. In fact, choices for 16" large tires is challenging. I run Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Rover and love them on that lighter vehicle (still about 6K lbs.) but I don't think they are robust enough for my 10K lb. SMB off the road in the deserts of CA and Utah. Nitto does not make their nice new Ridge Grapplers in 16". Bummer. They do show the Trail Grappler M/T in my size but none are available in the western half of the USA. I'm in Santa Barbara, CA. I researched the Toyo AT-2 but I believe they will be a rougher ride and quite noisy. Not interested in Coopers or others.

I'm trying to get new tires in the next week before a trip to Death Valley. I could do it with current tires worn out near the edges in front, but don't want to. Would be OK on road and easy trails. I may have to wait....

Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

I don't mean to sound rude, but what is your question? Toyo/Nitto MT's and AT's, as well as Hankook MT's and AT's are all available in 315/75/16, and all of them have decent reputations, I'm sure there are many others... You should be able to have tires shipped to you by the weekend regardless of where in the US they are, I would think?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

The Toyo Open Country AT2 tire is not as aggressive as your current BFGs and will be a little quieter. They seem plenty durable. But not as capable IMO.

Les Schwab also has the Back Country A/T and M/T. These are an in-house design and made tire, to compete with the equivalent A/T and M/T Toyo tires they also sell. A lot of the rigs around here are now running the Back Country A/Ts. I have the M/T version. Love everything about them except the fuel economy penalty. They are a soft tire, but that also makes them great in this year's arctic weather.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

Garage
Perhaps I had no distinct question, but rather just sharing an experience that others may face sometime. The closest Nittos were halfway across the country, requiring more time and expense, as well as the cost to buy them was the same as the cost of the same tires including installation, were my local dealer able to procure them. I don't know about Hankook, but will inquire. The reviews of the Toyos did not meet my desires. The main point is that 315-75R-16 is a dying size. Many of us with pre 2008 SMB's are fitted with them.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’ve been running Goodyear Duratrac load E in that size, more sidewall ply than the D that some have had issues with, they are spendy but I’ve had great experience with them- more aggressive hybrid A/T-M/T tread, long wearing, good in snow, quieter and better ride than a M/T(harsh but tough). I will be getting another set of these G.Y. ’s when the time comes and I’ve run most of the ones mentioned.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

Give "The Tire Store" in San Luis Obispo a call. They can sometimes get stuff that other stores cant. Couldn't hurt to call.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #7

I'm seeing ads for General Tires on this page now, I clicked on it and they have several models in your size.

I just replaced my Nitto Trail Grapplers after 5 years/35k-ish (would have made 40k) and have no complaints about them at all... and I'm usually picky with my tires. I had originally intended to buy another set of Toyo muds, but they were backordered at the time, so I bought the Nitto "equivalent", I'm glad that I did as I ended up liking the Nitto's better than my old Toyo's.

I decided to try out the Hankook RT03 muds this time, but I dropped down to an 8ply (they do make 315's in 10 ply too.) I immediately noticed improved small bump compliance, but on the flipside, the handling became a bit more vague. They are a tiny bit noisier than the Nitto's, but I've noticed that they seem to be working better in softer terrain/sand., so I'll live with the noise. My van hovers between 7,000-8,000lbs, so I wasn't too worried about the 3195lb load rating, but I can absolutely see why you'd want to stay with 10ply's with anything heavier.

I'm admittedly not a BFG fan (based on a set of 33" that dry rotted in a couple years, and a set of 35" that herniated sidewalls for no good reason, both KO2's on a 1ton truck) nor Cooper (after a 33" mud delaminated on the highway on another 1 ton truck) and I like to try new tread patterns, so I'm always shopping across brands.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

Garage
If you like the BFGs, then maybe it’s time to bump your wheel size up to 17” wheels. You should be able to keep the same overall tire size and the BFGs you want. Might cost a little more now, but you will be prepared next time.

That is my current plan as well.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

Garage
Got 'em! I found out that Goodyear still makes these big boys in 16" and they are readily available. I'll have them installed in two days. Heading to Death Valley 5 days later. Yeah!