Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Interior Suggestion for Basic Camper Build

I have a Quigley 4x4 and I added a bench seat and insulated it. I am looking to set up a bed in the back and basic camping needs, maybe a platform, along with cooler/ fridge (not sure which one) and marine batteries (1 or 2 along the frame rail) for power inside for things like a fan, cell phone chargers, etc (small stuff). I would love to see some set ups that people have added to the interior. I would LOVE a true sportsmobile set up but can't afford it at this point in time. Thanks!

PS it is cargo van so with the bench seat it is a tight fit!

Old 10-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Interior Suggestion for Basic Camper Build

Love that color and those wheels are bad ass!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Love that color and those wheels are bad ass!
Thanks Dave!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

Here's what I did.

I have a bench seat as well, but most of the time it's out of the van. The van had a basic platform bed and the OEM carpet when I bought it. I pulled the carpet out and used it as a template. I installed some coin flooring over plywood. Then I built some boxes for the rear sides. I just cut holes in them and left them open for storage. I fly fish and wanted to have a place to store my rod tubes, so I have some small storage compartments on the top of the side boxes for those. I have to raise the mattress to access them, but it's a good trade off, because they are hidden under the mattress in case I ever get any smash and crab crack head types breaking in. The platform in the middle is flush with the tops of the side boxes.

I divided the front of the under platform storage from the back. From the front I just use totes. I installed a small piece of wood on the floor to keep the totes from sliding forward and just lift them up and over to slide them out. I also installed 2 tie downs on the floor where the cooler goes to keep it from sliding around. It comes out easy and I still have access to bolt the bench seat back in through the coin flooring if I need the bench seat.

I also created a little cubby for the water jug. The platform bed comes out really easy with just a few screws and the divider just slides out once the platform is out if I ever need to haul anything or the kids need to borrow it to move (again). The side boxes would just stay in, in that scenario and even with them in place, I could still haul plywood or sheetrock if I needed.

Both of my seats swivel. I still have a few things to do. Primarily install a house battery and a vent van.

I had a little room left over above the totes, so I made a little spot to store my window covers.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

RanballDee, nice use of space.

Off topic - Are you in Cascadia, Oregon or some other Cascadia. I use to drive one in Oregon on my way to Bend. Looks like a nice quiet place to live.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
RanballDee, nice use of space.

Off topic - Are you in Cascadia, Oregon or some other Cascadia. I use to drive one in Oregon on my way to Bend. Looks like a nice quiet place to live.
Larrie....I'm in NE Portland.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

RandallDee, not to hijack but can you pass on where you got your bungee netting? I need some for my SUV.

Jolly, sweet van and as Dave said that wheel/tire combo is awesome! Do you need the bench for passengers? If not, my recommendation for a fairly simple and comfortable 'living room' style camping setup would be to turn it sideways on the driver's side wall and get a swivel passenger seat base, then you could have a nice little living area. You could easily fit a platform style bed in the back still with lots of storage as RandallDee showed. If I was going to go with no raised roof for awhile I would recommend this. You could do a cabinet or two for a small galley but without room to stand it's use is limited, so this would give you a nice lounging room for a few folks since you can't really walk around in it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

RanballDee
Thanks for the pics, that is a really nice set up. What size bed do you have in there? I was thinking of a full size mattress for my wife and I.
I was also thinking of making one side more permanent/ larger bench and the other side removable or that flips up incase I was alone or wanted to throw a bicycle or two in when I was not camping.

Scotty
I would prefer to leave the seat in as I do use it for passengers, I was thinking on big camping trips with just the two of us I would pull it out for the space. Ideally I would like to make the set up that keep the seat in to make my life easy.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

You could get a bench that folds forward into a flat position. Then put a platform bed behind the bench that is level with the bench so when it's folded it extends into a queen. Then just throw a tempurpedic pad on top. Or even one of those tri fold sleeping mats. You could even put a mount for a removable table in front of the bench.

This was my bed plan for little bit before I changed my mind.

Basically a diy version of sheriffdoug's check out his engine rebuild thread it's on the first page.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

We also had a basic van before this one. We installed a couple of teak rails (1"x2") along the walls about a foot down from the roof. We used bungy cords to lash sleeping bags, back packs, etc. to the walls. The bottom of the packs rested on something like the storage boxes mentioned earlier in the thread. Those teak rails worked great and I still miss them sometimes. We stored 4 bikes in the van with the front of the bikes mounted on bike tights on a 2x4 that went from one side of the van to the other about 16" above the floor. We slept on the floor with our feet under the front of the bikes and our heads toward the front of the van. Took some moving around at night, putting some totes in the front seats, but we stayed in it for 4 months straight once touring the west. Carried bike gear, back packs, climbing junk, etc. During the day, the totes went under the front of the bikes where our feet were while sleeping.

Edit: Forgot to mention that we had 4 captains chairs in the van when at home, but removed them when traveling.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote